Tips for waxing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy89

Reaction score
Hi ALL
I am a qualified waxer and Ive been waxing a while. Theres a few things which slow me down.
Theres a few things Ive encountered that i wasnt given any guidance on when trained
Im wondering if you can help
I do basic waxing with wax rollers
1. sometimes my wax doesnt come out the roller- any suggestions why. I know that when there is very little wax left inside that it doesnt come out well, but are there any other reasons why when i have a full wax rollers this happens
2. when finishing up a wax, and cleaning up the wax residues with an after wax oil, I;m finding it difficult to shift the wax .. any tips. I apply pressure and use plenty, but still struggling
3. obviously you have to apply wax in the direction of the hair growth and pull off the strip against the growth... however... when it comes to bodyparts where the hair growth is in many directions. Do you apply wax to each hair growth separately? Or is there a clever way of remembering which direction the growth went in after applying the wax?

hi, I cant help you with regards to the roller wax as I have never used it.
I use surgical spirit to clean wax residue of any surfaces including cleaning my wax pot (I use protective collars on my wax pot to minimise residue wax)
always apply in direction of hair growth even if hair grows in different directions as it will prevent hair breakages and give a smoother wax x

I'm referring to wax residue on a client. I always in the direction of hair growth & remove against. However if for example somebody's underarms have hair growing in different directions , would you do each bit separate? Or would you apply all the wax and remember which directions they were going in

There shouldn't be any wax residue on the client ;) i found when I first qualified I would get wax everywhere! But as you get more confident you become much more efficient and sticky bits will be a thing of the past! If you see any just press a wax strip and pull off to remove. Then the oil to remove any feeling of stickiness xxx

re the rollers

check all set at correct temperature

then after taking tube out hold it upside down for few seconds so wax can run down then do a little small roll on a wax strip to get the wax running

re the rollers

check all set at correct temperature

then after taking tube out hold it upside down for few seconds so wax can run down then do a little small roll on a wax strip to get the wax running

Great tips! Thank you xxx

I find top half of underarm hair grows one way and lower half the other way (not always but more often than not.) so I wax top half then lower half. Sometimes if hairs are left I put a small bit of wax on again and remove but never any more than that in case it irritates but I find this way works for me and all hair usually removed.
Also seem to find top half of underarm always grows sideways.

I'm referring to wax residue on a client. I always in the direction of hair growth & remove against. However if for example somebody's underarms have hair growing in different directions , would you do each bit separate? Or would you apply all the wax and remember which directions they were going in

Yes you should always apply and remove in the correct way. What wax are you using?

If you're using hot wax this should be quite easy - just apply a couple of different patches.

If you're using strip wax then just do small areas bit by bit. It really shouldn't take that much longer as it's such a small area. Hth xx

re the second question

at the end of a wax eg leg wax I take a clean strip and very quickly (literally seconds) go over the area waxed (same motion as if waxing) to pick up any little residue left, I do this before applying jasmine oil

I also found on my wax learning journey watching lori nestors whole ball of wax dvd and going on kim lawless course a massive help

I personally dont use roller wax as i find pot and spatula a lot easier and especially for sensitive areas its easier to get to.

The advice above is right though, most clients have the underarm hairs growing in two directions so you would need apply those in the direction of hairgrowth. There is some clients where the hair seems to grow in all different directions and you just have to go with smaller strips in the right direction to ensure you can stretch and remove correctly.

If you are using non strip or hard wax for the sensitive areas you wont have any residue but with soft wax you can sometimes have little bits left. Simply use a bit of the pre/post wax oil and a non woven strip and it should come off easily.

Hi Roxy, I would not use a roller for under arms or areas that have smaller and different growth, it's easier to use apatual and apply wax in different directions and it come off quickly.

Wax residue shouldn't really happen, you can use baby oil of after wax oil doesn't work that usually always works.

Rollers I use depilieve system for legs and back and full arms but I use disposable units so new roller per client. What is not used in a session I put aside wrote her name on it and place into a sealed bag. Clients happy and I am happy. No cross contamination or hairs or other stuff.
Rollers take longer to heat, I leave mine half hour before a client comes.
Hold upside down for while then roll onto a plain strip few times before u roll onto a client.

😆

Hi Roxy, I would not use a roller for under arms or areas that have smaller and different growth, it's easier to use apatual and apply wax in different directions and it come off quickly.

Wax residue shouldn't really happen, you can use baby oil of after wax oil doesn't work that usually always works.

Rollers I use depilieve system for legs and back and full arms but I use disposable units so new roller per client. What is not used in a session I put aside wrote her name on it and place into a sealed bag. Clients happy and I am happy. No cross contamination or hairs or other stuff.
Rollers take longer to heat, I leave mine half hour before a client comes.
Hold upside down for while then roll onto a plain strip few times before u roll onto a client.

😆

Thank you! Some great tips there!
Would you not recommend sanitising roller heads and reusing? I only ask as I was taught to use spatula waxing not roller heads, but I tried roller waxing and found it a faster, cleaner and more efficient application for performing the treatment

Latest posts

Back