Tips on cutting down time when doing extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you pre buy the hair or does your customers go get it? We only have two local stores that carry the hair here. I can't afford to get it then them cancel or no show. I would only get in store credit which wouldn't work for me.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I buy it but take a 50% deposit from the customer

I order online and they give a refund if you send it back with in 7 days x

Although Im new to hair extensions (practicing since April) I find what takes my time up is separating the extensions and picking things up and down. Although Im getting quicker at the application through practise Id love to have something to hold the extensions in place. Where do you buy your drawing mats from and do you think they work well?

Do you pre buy the hair or does your customers go get it? We only have two local stores that carry the hair here. I can't afford to get it then them cancel or no show. I would only get in store credit which wouldn't work for me.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Hi there I also take a 50% non refundable deposit at the consultation appointment, then re book the client in for fitting a few days after. then you're not loosing out on money etc. hth xx
I have fitted extensions a few times that the customer purchased themselves, but I have stopped doing that as the hair was very cheap and nasty and never a good match. xx

Last edited:
I use a belt whilst doing my extensions so that all my clips are attached to that they have pockets for things like combs and then a pocket just for straighteners or heat connectors and it's all insulated so no burning yourself. Only thing is the hair but I just space them all out on a near by surface or trolley if at home. The belt is excellent for me though as I am one of these that end up with things everywhere if I've got no where specific to put them hth

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

My clients hand me the hair strand by strand they don't mind (I do ask) it saves me so much time,instead of faffing around trying to separate them or getting then tangled while in swing of fitting,I also have belt for everything means I'm never reaching around or over to anything x

My clients hand me the hair strand by strand they don't mind (I do ask) it saves me so much time,instead of faffing around trying to separate them or getting then tangled while in swing of fitting,I also have belt for everything means I'm never reaching around or over to anything x

I also get the clients to pass me the hair! Saves me alot of time! Also i clip all my section clips to myself! Usually my top or my sleeves! X

Hi the Extentionist. i always have my bonds cut before the job to save time. I also lay out all hair in rows as close to me as possible. I use foxy hair extensions for budget range and have done for 2 yrs they have just introduced a new extension stand which holds your gun. I am tempted to buy it myself. I think its around 100 plus tax.

Also i watched a youtube video a while back on keratin bonds it was americian video. Instead of lady using one shield per extension like we do in the uk. She was using what looked like a thin sheet across the width of the clients head which had small holes threw with you pulled hair threw with hook so instead of working one by one on your extensions you ve pulled threw for example 8 pieces of hair and they all ready to be attached with heat connector. i have never found one in uk and been hairdressing 12 yrs id love to be able to get one. Feel would really cut time down.

Hi the Extentionist. i always have my bonds cut before the job to save time. I also lay out all hair in rows as close to me as possible. I use foxy hair extensions for budget range and have done for 2 yrs they have just introduced a new extension stand which holds your gun. I am tempted to buy it myself. I think its around 100 plus tax.

Also i watched a youtube video a while back on keratin bonds it was americian video. Instead of lady using one shield per extension like we do in the uk. She was using what looked like a thin sheet across the width of the clients head which had small holes threw with you pulled hair threw with hook so instead of working one by one on your extensions you ve pulled threw for example 8 pieces of hair and they all ready to be attached with heat connector. i have never found one in uk and been hairdressing 12 yrs id love to be able to get one. Feel would really cut time down.

Have you ever came across balmain extensions? With each pack, you get the normal one hole shield, plus a shield with a bit 4/5 holes. I have never used it myself but it sounds very similar to what your describing! I think I may try this xx

yes i no what you mean i worked in a salon in London that used to use the balmain one. It did look quite fiddly thou this one in the video u have to make sure its clipped on either side of the head quite securely..

i sometimes use my hairdressing belt which id use to keep scissors combs in etc to try save abit of time. on average i aim to try get a bond a minute done. if you stick to this theory when your positioning and rolling the bonds you do tend to speed up or at least be more aware of how your doing for time. im always looking for new ways to save time.

I have just say cutting my bonds for my next two clients this week ... I normally do it as I am installing - I hope it saves me time !! As it can take me 4-4.5 hours sometimes to do a set!! I really want to get it down to 3!! So fingers crossed on this!!

I am also going to have a go at the swinging heat connected on wrist although may not work!!! I will let you know!!

I have just say cutting my bonds for my next two clients this week ... I normally do it as I am installing - I hope it saves me time !! As it can take me 4-4.5 hours sometimes to do a set!! I really want to get it down to 3!! So fingers crossed on this!!

I am also going to have a go at the swinging heat connected on wrist although may not work!!! I will let you know!!

Good luck xx

try these separator strips. they have a number of holes so you separate in advance and the attachment then will be quicker. let me knw hw they work as i have them but as yet hven't had a prebonded extensions client to try them on.

Hair Extensions Separator Strip - Hair Extensions, Pre Bonded Hair, Clip in Hair and Hair Extensions UK

I can't understand how they work though - I.e how do you get the right sections through ensuring there are no sore spots and it is the right amount each time ?

try these separator strips. they have a number of holes so you separate in advance and the attachment then will be quicker. let me knw hw they work as i have them but as yet hven't had a prebonded extensions client to try them on.

Hair Extensions Separator Strip - Hair Extensions, Pre Bonded Hair, Clip in Hair and Hair Extensions UK

i got one of these a few years back when i started doing extensions and for the life of me couldnt work out how to use it to get evenly sized sections with no cross hairs. If anyone has used them successfully please let me know!! I have 2 fittings of pre bonds to do on friday, just hope im only 3-3,5hrs with each, gonna have sore fingers!! xxx

i got one of these a few years back when i started doing extensions and for the life of me couldnt work out how to use it to get evenly sized sections with no cross hairs. If anyone has used them successfully please let me know!! I have 2 fittings of pre bonds to do on friday, just hope im only 3-3,5hrs with each, gonna have sore fingers!! xxx

I REALLY try to put people off having them together on the same day lol I am so lazy!! It's not that really it does just take me so long and I really try to cut down but can't seem to and doing two sets at the moment could take me 9 hours!! I know I am a perfectionist and really like to get everything right but i have to cut it down!! Lol

Doing a full set tomorrow and have cut the bonds already so I am hoping on 3.5 hours !!! Although doubt it!!

I've just booked a holiday so 2 sets of extensions in one day will help pay for it lol!! should be some good before and afters, one is colour #350 cherry red and the other is 1b into 18 ombre, i'll post pics tomorrow night in the4 before and after thread with explanation of how i coloured the ombre!! turns out the ladies only live a few streets away from each other so its all good - im at 3.5hrs for pre bonds incl cutting and styling, its micro rings that take me longer!! xxx

I've just booked a holiday so 2 sets of extensions in one day will help pay for it lol!! should be some good before and afters, one is colour #350 cherry red and the other is 1b into 18 ombre, i'll post pics tomorrow night in the4 before and after thread with explanation of how i coloured the ombre!! turns out the ladies only live a few streets away from each other so its all good - im at 3.5hrs for pre bonds incl cutting and styling, its micro rings that take me longer!! xxx

Oo yea do sound very nice and would love to see pics!!

I have 2 x multi section clips which i use (only one at a time though).
They seperate 5 x even sections so once in i literally bond 5 in no time at all.
I also use a balmain plug and play heat connector.Best thing i ever purchased.
It comes with a heat proof holder i sling over my shoulder and i put clips on front of the holder.

Its cut my time down for a full head of pre bonds from 4-5 hrs to about 3.5 inc blending afterwards.

I always always cut the bonds down and get hair out ,brushed well and seperated before clients are in and although i used to have a great lengths trolley which came in handy it used to be quite heavy to move around me,so now i use a normal tint trolley and have the hair in a divider with a towel layed over the top with the bonds showing.

Makes my life alot easier,but definatly definatly recommend the balmain plug and play.

x

I have 2 x multi section clips which i use (only one at a time though).
They seperate 5 x even sections so once in i literally bond 5 in no time at all.
I also use a balmain plug and play heat connector.Best thing i ever purchased.
It comes with a heat proof holder i sling over my shoulder and i put clips on front of the holder.

Its cut my time down for a full head of pre bonds from 4-5 hrs to about 3.5 inc blending afterwards.

I always always cut the bonds down and get hair out ,brushed well and seperated before clients are in and although i used to have a great lengths trolley which came in handy it used to be quite heavy to move around me,so now i use a normal tint trolley and have the hair in a divider with a towel layed over the top with the bonds showing.

Makes my life alot easier,but definatly definatly recommend the balmain plug and play.

x

hi there!! i bought a muli section clip after reading this thread lol!! going to try it out tomorrow... do you feel the sections are a good size and are they close/far from the root once the bond is applied? xx

Latest posts

Back