Tips on cutting down time when doing extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My extensionist can fit my whole head in an hour!! I only have 120 bonds but my God! I asked her how she does it, I know she doesn't put the heat gun down she usually puts its between her knees (ouch) and she reckons she puts on 2 at a time, how? Plus she doesn't use a shield as a lot don't. However as she's not a hairdresser she can't cut or blend in so that saves her half hour. Luckily I can do that part myself. I've got to say she fits them really well, I only lost 2 in 11 weeks!

It takes me about 3 1/2to fit Prebonded and 2 1/2 for micro rings, I reckon I've knocked 2 hrs off just through experience, can't see me getting anymore time off tho x

When I'm attaching the pre bonds I hold the hair and extension in my left hand then the heat connector in my right, heat the bond then roll with my left index finger and thumb. Keeping the connector in my right hand all the time whilst pulling down on the strands with my right hand (in-between my third finger and little finger) if that makes sense. Will do a vid tomoz and post it if ya like?

My extensionist can fit my whole head in an hour!! I only have 120 bonds but my God! I asked her how she does it, I know she doesn't put the heat gun down she usually puts its between her knees (ouch) and she reckons she puts on 2 at a time, how? Plus she doesn't use a shield as a lot don't. However as she's not a hairdresser she can't cut or blend in so that saves her half hour. Luckily I can do that part myself. I've got to say she fits them really well, I only lost 2 in 11 weeks!

It takes me about 3 1/2to fit Prebonded and 2 1/2 for micro rings, I reckon I've knocked 2 hrs off just through experience, can't see me getting anymore time off tho x

1 hour?!?!? omg!
my times are similar to yours fuzion, cant seem to go faster :( i use a shield and i put the heat gun down as I've only small hands aswell! i would love to cut the time down. the set i put on the before and afters thread with the tattooed girl took me 4 hours :( but normally i managing in 3.5hrs. i was looking at an extension stand to hold the hair etc as opposed to a normal trolley or draw mat but i don't know how portable it would be as I'm mobile... and £100+ could be an expensive mistake!! anyone use one of these mobile?

An extension stand? Where did you find it from? I really want to get one as a drawing mat just is not doing it for me when doing pre bonded. Id like to have them separate like Balmain's. Where did you find it? I only managed to find them from china.

This clip looks good and well worth investigating. Will look on ebay though as postage is much more reasonable! Thanks for the link above.

foxy has one at £105.99 plus postage. it doesnt look very portable though! have a look and see what you think, its under hair extension fitting tools i think! x
it looks just like a trolley but with pieces on each side for holding individual extensions x

Last edited:
I have my trolly at the side of me with all my hair in bundles of 25 with elastic bands round them (I pretip my own hair) I then have the heat connector on there and my threaders (20 in total) loaded with shrinkies. I section the clients hair to where I am working and then pick up the threaders, bundle of hair and my heat connector and I have a small little sectioning clip to work my tiny sections and I work somehow with everything in my hands I don't put anything down.

I grip the heat connector under my armpit inbetween every bond, and i hold a full bail (20-25) strands in my hair while fitting - reduced my overall fitting time by 30mins.

Today I tried some of the tips on this thread..hooking the heat connector over my wrist was. Huge mistake ouch lol!!!

Today I tried some of the tips on this thread..hooking the heat connector over my wrist was. Huge mistake ouch lol!!!

Oh no, what went wrong? Im so into the habit of it I don't even realise I do it any more x

have been after one of them trolleys for ages! might invest in one does it look worth it ?? im mobile so would have to take it with me where ever i go! :)

Haha! Some really helpful tips. I don't like the trolleys but I love the look of those plexiglass stands for individual extensions but can't seem to find one where you don't have to order loads. Maybe I'll import to uk, anyone interested? Haha. It would be so much easier with one of these. I find the drawing mat makes it a bit easier but sometimes they still tangled up I'd love to have them separate.

How about the multi heat shields so you pull through more at a time? I like the idea of the clip I think I'll order it. What I really want is something to separate it quicker as putting the shield and sectioning is what takes me longest.

Foxy hair extensions now have a stand available to order on the website, going to order one myself soon x

Haha! Some really helpful tips. I don't like the trolleys but I love the look of those plexiglass stands for individual extensions but can't seem to find one where you don't have to order loads. Maybe I'll import to uk, anyone interested? Haha. It would be so much easier with one of these. I find the drawing mat makes it a bit easier but sometimes they still tangled up I'd love to have them separate.

How about the multi heat shields so you pull through more at a time? I like the idea of the clip I think I'll order it. What I really want is something to separate it quicker as putting the shield and sectioning is what takes me longest.

I really want the plexiglass stand aswell - just dont want 100 of them lol!! I've ordered a speedy separator clip,I tried the multishield before and hated it, really struggled to get each section neat in it as it but maybe i was using it incorrectly?! i think my timings have went backwards, took me 4 hours to do a full head microrings today (incl cutting and styling) she had thick hair but i wasnt messing about, i didnt stop for a drink or anything, but took ages :( x

id be interested in the stand! :)

I have about 9 draw mats

What's a draw mat?

I have two speed seperator clips I didnt think they were great but if anyone wants them and they pay for the postage from ireland to wherever I need to send them too then just mail me if you want to try them out for FREE :)

Do you pre buy the hair or does your customers go get it? We only have two local stores that carry the hair here. I can't afford to get it then them cancel or no show. I would only get in store credit which wouldn't work for me.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back