TMJD or just a wonky tooth?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chickafish

Reaction score
I'll admit I'm a big baby when it comes to the dentist, so I've been putting off paying mine a visit for the past few months for a little discomfort due to my wisdom tooth coming in (plus when I last went for an x-ray, they told me was fine, not impacted). Within those past few months, I felt the usually ick that comes from a tooth cutting in. No biggie. But lately... oh my lanta! I've been waking up to the most excruciating tight pain in my jaw. As the weeks go by, I can kinda work out the pain is more on the joints of my jaw rather than my tooth. Pretty much feels like I've been sucker punched, so I'm sorta doubting its my tooth. Plus, lately due to a crap-ton of unwanted stress, I've been told I'm grinding my teeth loads in my sleep. It's gotten so loud, it wakes up my OH :lol: (I'm totally unaware I'm doing this as I'm sleeping.) So, I'm finally going to book in an appointment with the tooth man to get to the bottom of this once and for all. But I'm just wondering- as I'm aware of Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJD) and stress can also be a factor to this uncomfortable tightness/stiffness and pain in my jaw, has anyone here ever experienced either?

And (I'm not sure if I'd need to or not) would anyone like to share their wisdom tooth extraction experience so I can kinda know what to expect?

I've suffered for years and was told repeatedly that it wasn't my wisdom tooth. In the end I demanded they take it out so I could rule it out...turns out the tooth WAS twisted and I have had soooo much relief since. Ok so my jaw pain hasn't disappeared entirely but it's 80% better than it was. I also occasionally clench my teeth in sleep, getting a mouth guard to wear at night from the dentist does help. I also hate the dentist but had my wisdom tooth out under normal local. I can honestly say it was totally fine and I'd have another tooth out in a heartbeat...the worst bit was the needles to numb me up! Xx

*shudders* needles. Was there any pain or soreness after extraction?

Nothing worse than a period pain - and nowhere near as bad as the pains I had in my jaw. So worth it x

I think you are jumping the gun by wanting the wisdom tooth out, I would strongly recommend you go back to your dentist or seek a second opinion and ask for a 'bite wing' X-ray of the tooth and gum or better still am OPG xray to rule out possible infection or to see if the tooth has 'moved' due to over crowding in your mouth.

Dentists don't really remove wisdom teeth unless there is a clear track record of problems or chronic infections as they will not remove a healthy tooth unless they really have too.

As for your TMJ problem ask for a night guard (I have one it's amazing) I think they cost £209 on the NHS or free if you are exempt from NHS charges

The only experience I had was for 2 years I had a week or 2 every so often of really bad tooth pain, jaw pain and ear pain and then it'd go. Once it had grown in I've had no problems. But I did have my main mowler out the other year which was not good as I had a twisted route. But I dreaded the next day, and honestly it was nothing conpaired to the pain of it being impacted. Also stress can cause an absess, it's not that is it?
Keep us posted..

The extraction is a worse case scenario. I honestly would much rather not pull anything out if it isn't causing any problems. I'd like to think I have a great track record with my teeth (only 1 cavity!) and I am doubting a bit that its the tooth that's causing the pain. We shall see what they say but I am going to ask for a night guard, regardless. The loud gritting and grinding worries me. :lol:

I feel a two pronged approach is needed here, one for the physical and the other for the stress. Good on you for making the appointment when you don't really like going though.

I don't have any wisdom teeth stories, but I do have a funny story which involves me needing an emergency appointment and going to the dentist that I hadn't met before. She informed me I needed either a root filling or an extraction and wrongly guessed that I wouldn't want an extraction. I told her to just whip it out, I'm not vain that it would leave a big hole if I grinned too wide. :wink2:

Bless her, all four feet and seven stone of her when she tried to get my stubborn tooth out. She near enough sat on me and then finally when my tooth budged it flew across the room and hit the wall. I laughed, but she didn't share my humour.

As for the injections, I give injections regularly and hate having them myself, but those tiny little needles that dentist use are absolutely fine.

Good luck Chicka, you are doing the right thing by facing it. Nobody can stand tooth pain long term, it's one of the worst. :hug:

:lol: if she'd fallen back with the tooth flying, that would've added to the comedic value! I'm feelin alright right now. I put a hot pack on my jaw this morning and massaged it a bit. Yawning is painful though. I can probably open my mouth about as wide as Joan Rivers can after a lip injection.

good one you for making an appointment lovie, it does sound like Bruxism ( teeth grinding) bruxism does cause headaches, earaches, facial myalgia, tightness and stiffness in the shoulders and pain and stiffness in your jaw. best bet is having a dentist check you out, if its left it can lead to dental abscesses and infection. i agree with previous posters, the way forward will more than likely be a mouthguard, it'll work wonders! good luck xxx

I won't tell you my wisdom tooth story :eek: just go get it checked again Lee :hug:

...is it worse than your "flap" story? :eek:
my mind is in the gutter lol with what i'm thinking! oh Chica, bruxism is very definitely stress related xxx

...is it worse than your "flap" story? :eek:

:eek: you mention the flap story on a public domain web site lmao only joking hummmmmmmmmm the flap story had an element of embarrassment where as the tooth story is pure pain and a lil bit of embarrassment lol :lol::lol:

my mind is in the gutter lol with what i'm thinking! oh Chica, bruxism is very definitely stress related xxx

Lol ur right to have your mined in the gutter just a minor miss hap :lol: xxx

Lol ur right to have your mined in the gutter just a minor miss hap :lol: xxx
:Scared:! i've never had one of them yet but when we were kids, me and my brother got bikes at Christmas one year,first time out my brother hit a frosty patch on the ground,he went over the handle bars and knocked me off my bike but he managed to bite my bum as he landed on me, i maintain till this day that he was trying to kiss my arse lol xxx

Last edited:
:Scared:! i've never had one of them yet but when we were kids, me and my brother got bikes at Christmas one year,first time out my brother hit a frosty patch on the ground,he went over the handle bars and knocked me off my bike but he managed to bite my bum as he landed on me, i maintain till this day that he was trying to kiss my arse lol xxx

Lol so funny made me chuckle.I'll pm you and explain mine lol xxx

Lol so funny made me chuckle.I'll pm you and explain mine lol xxx
lol his teeth were still chuckling when they were wedged in my poor wee bumcheek! xxx

:eek: you mention the flap story on a public domain web site lmao only joking hummmmmmmmmm the flap story had an element of embarrassment where as the tooth story is pure pain and a lil bit of embarrassment lol :lol::lol:

:lol: :lol: well hey don't go takin me to court! I wanna hear this story now!

I just pictured the whole thing and now I can't stop laughing! :lol:

Latest posts

Back