to all the waxers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundial

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this up again, I am just curious to know, for all who offer waxing, how long you trained for? I have checked out salon services and they just do 1 day training:rolleyes: and Im not convinced you can fully learn everything in one day, the colleges I spoke to are full at the minute but these are roughly about 15 weeks, one college had a 8 week hands on only course with no certificate which could get insurance to work with, you had to then go onto a higher level in depilation for a few more weeks to get a certificate.I live in scotland so if anyone trained near edinburgh let me know, but to all what do you think of these one day courses which claim you can get a certificate which allows you to work straight away and be able to get insurance, sorry if this is annoying it's just that I like to do jobs properly and take care of any potential clients:hug: :hug:

YES I WONDER ABOUT THIS ONE DAY COURSE AND THEN YOU CAN WORK ON A CLIENT!!!:irked:

NEAR TO ME YOU CAN DO A ONE DAY COURSE 10AM TO 4PM AND THEN GET A CERTIFICATE.

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE ANSWERS TO THIS IT SHOULD BE INTRESTING.

CAZ XXX:)

i firstly did a 1 day course and then did a longer one, and to be totally honest the shorter one was just as good it just didnt show you hot waxing etc, but on the longer one the teacher never even told the students about not waxing behind the knee :irked: i had to tell her (its coz of the popleteal space ) which is something i learnt on the 1 day course so they can be just as thorough :green: as on my long course the teacher just seemed to leave you to it, and she even bruised someone while demoing a bikini wax:irked: so i am very glad i did my 1 day course, jmo , dee xx

Thanks for your replies, I think I will do the one day course with salon services (if anyone has trained with salon services let me know what you think),they have a full day in warm waxing then another full day in advanced waxing which I think is mainly based on bikini line, brazilian etc, I will also keep looking out for a college course just to cover myself. What waxing products offer training? and for how long and where? My friend is a qualified beauty therapist and she finds it really amazing that you can learn everything about waxing in a day:irked: .

if i were you i would look round your local colleges for a vtct course, at least then you know all the full on theory behind waxing, althought i did my 1 day course i am glad i re went back over it with my beauty therapy training, as i felt i knew everything theory wise even if the teaching wasnt great, thats the thing about this industry theres always more to be learnt , lol , good luck dee xx

sundial said:
she finds it really amazing that you can learn everything about waxing in a day:irked: .

I don;t think you would learn EVERYTHING about waxing in one day, and I think with these short courses it's up to you to research as well. I've been a nail tech for over 5 years and I learn something new every day off this site. I think you can never know it all.

I did a one day facials course, and it taught me the basics, but now I read up all the time to elarn more. i don;t think an FE long course would give me this either. I asked my facials tutor about a short waxing course that she does and said do you think that you can learn it all then? She said that she teaches you the correct technique and then it's up to you to practice, even experienced waxers get it wrong sometimes.

eek yes they defo do get it wrong soemtimes ...we witnessed this ourselves at gmex last year....poor girl and model might i add!!!
I think you can learn waxing in a day........but you could never learn all that goes with it in a day......
My course was over a year..........i spent a long time getting in to an icky sticky mess and braking the hairs off at surface level!!!!
I think it is of high importnace that if you choose to do a one day course that all the theory is included and you really really really must learn this and understand it.
When i was at college toward the end of the course one of the girls was waxing a client and did not take the strip of correctly and took the skin off.......ouch......

EVen i bruised a client a couple of weeks ago (my first time i nearly died) and that was totally my fault for not being in control of the situation and incorrectly removing the strip!!!

So which ever takes your fancy just remember there is more to waxing than applying and removing!
HA ha and don't make my mistake....i originally bought a rio waxer to practise with............it was no use to man nor beast!!!!

diesel1978 said:
eek yes they defo do get it wrong soemtimes ...we witnessed this ourselves at gmex last year....poor girl and model might i add!!!
I think you can learn waxing in a day........but you could never learn all that goes with it in a day......
My course was over a year..........i spent a long time getting in to an icky sticky mess and braking the hairs off at surface level!!!!
I think it is of high importnace that if you choose to do a one day course that all the theory is included and you really really really must learn this and understand it.
When i was at college toward the end of the course one of the girls was waxing a client and did not take the strip of correctly and took the skin off.......ouch......

EVen i bruised a client a couple of weeks ago (my first time i nearly died) and that was totally my fault for not being in control of the situation and incorrectly removing the strip!!!

So which ever takes your fancy just remember there is more to waxing than applying and removing!
HA ha and don't make my mistake....i originally bought a rio waxer to practise with............it was no use to man nor beast!!!!
:eek::eek::Scared:Gosh you've got me terrified now lol, bruising, taking off skin, jees I think I will be practicing on myself only! for the first year, I totally agree with everyone about having to do research after a short course. How on earth do you apologise for bruising or taking off skin on a client, I think I would be lost for words, well I suppose no matter what you do in life you have to make mistakes, im not put off yet so after my course if any horrors happen I will keep you all posted :lol: .

Aww sorry chick my intention was'nt to scare you !!! More to inform u of what can happen!!!! The more u practise the better you will get believe me!

My opinion is that 1 day is not long enough to cover all you need to know about waxing - consultation, contra~indications, related AP&H - hair & skin structure, application methods, removal technique, contra~actions, aftercare advice the list goes on. It might be a good idea if you have no previous experiance as it will let you have a go and decide if you want to do the full course. But I dont think after a one day course you are ready to wax the paying clients. I would suggest you go for the longer course if you can find a suitable certified course.
Have you tried Mary Reid School Edinburgh? clicky here
HTH
KxXx

nemotail said:
My opinion is that 1 day is not long enough to cover all you need to know about waxing - consultation, contra~indications, related AP&H - hair & skin structure, application methods, removal technique, contra~actions, aftercare advice the list goes on. It might be a good idea if you have no previous experiance as it will let you have a go and decide if you want to do the full course. But I dont think after a one day course you are ready to wax the paying clients. I would suggest you go for the longer course if you can find a suitable certified course.
HTH
KxXx
Thanks Ive just checked the site but it is nearly £600.00 for 4 days training:Scared: surely that can't be right?

sundial said:
Thanks Ive just checked the site but it is nearly £600.00 for 4 days training:Scared: surely that can't be right?
It cost me £175 for one days training so it could be right!!!

As with anything, there are good courses and bad courses. But i simply do not believe that a one day course is good enough.

If you don't want to invest more time (and probably money) in your professional abilities, then what's the point?

I did the VTCT course at a local further education college. I can't remember how many weeks that was, but it must have been 10 or 15 or something.

I did a course with Dundee College which was for 14 weeks and cost approx £70.

Thanks for all your replies, I've found a college where my friend actually works which is in fife, but it sounds a good course, 15 weeks and it's about £77.00, they also provide all the equipment etc, only down side is that it started about 2 weeks ago but the next one is in may I think, I will probably do more nail training in the mean time, maybe go on a skill building course or troubleshooting course to keep the old brains cells awake! :Love:

sundial said:
What waxing products offer training? and for how long and where?
Australian Bodycare offer training for their waxing products which is what I use. I do not know about the other systems

hi
i did a beauty course nvq level 2 which waxing was included the didn't just teach you waxing they told you all about other methods that you can use it took me a year to qualify and nearly 3 years down the line i manage to wax perfectly its called speed waxing i reckon you should go for a course longer than a day and even longer than 15 weeks the nvq level 2 might be a better option i also trained with hive using their products and their equipment and got a certificate which came to the college i went.

jenny X XXX

I'm on the last week of my 3 month waxing course which I've been doing twice a week - it's with my local college of FE and I must say it's been great. My exams are this week :Scared: and if/when I pass I get a CIBTAC Diploma which is Internationally recognised and will enable me to get insurance.

I must say that after doing this course and seeing what can go wrong (we worked on each other at first and I ended up with 3 inch long bruises on my bikini line, both sides, the skin ripped off my eyebrow - ouch, pustules under my arms - urgh!) I would really recommend you get more than a day's training.

There's a lot of theory involved, and I think if people go on a one day course they won't be so keen to do the studying that they really should do.

Good luck anyway, with whatever you choose.
Jackie
Liberty Nail Design

nemotail said:
HTH
KxXx
Thanks nemotail, after reading all the replies I have finally emailed an application to my local college to start the SVQ level 2 in beauty therapy which starts in august, it covers mani, pedi, facial massage, waxing, eyebrow and lash treatments etc, so thank you for your advice, I was'nt convinced with the one day courses. Wish me luck for august (I will probably be the oldest in there!)

Cool Babes, good choice thats the course I did, hard work but worth it. Bet your not the oldest there, there is usually a really wide age range on these courses - let me know how you get on or if I can be of any help.
Karol xXx

Latest posts

Back