To all you self employed ones out there !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottish_girl

Reaction score
Been thinking about it for ages! currently at college for now but once finished i want to start working from home self employed.

I litirally no nothing about this - I will be offering Lash extensions, nail extensions, manicure, make up and generally all things nails!

Where do i start? is there somewhere i can go for advice on this?

Hi Lea
I work as a Beauty Therapist from home and have done for a couple of years.
Your first port of call is thinking of a name, then registering with the Inland Revenue.
Then get professional insurance, invest in equipment and stock
and advertise, advertise, advertise.
Try "Business Link" for some advice.
Laura xx

what about tax and stuff like that? im slumped when it comes to all that! will the inland revenue go through it all with me?

Hi again Laura - i just had a nosy at ur webpage and its so weird, was looking in a friend facebook page and she got her lashes done from you, cause i remember your website from the other day! madness!

Hey hun

I would strongly suggest you get a book keeper, because if you can meet a nice one, they will sort out all of your books, and tax etc, and will also help you get started and let you know what needs to be done from that point of veiw.
Apart from that you just need to buy in your equipment and stock and advertise as much as you can! The best advertisment is by word of mouth, so maybe create a loyalt card or a recommend a friend scheme to get things rolling. Your client base will be especially important to you, because being self employed is a lot different than working in a salon, and youll want as much repeat business as possible.

Hope this helps!

Jess

The Business Link website is probably a good place to start for advice on starting a business and working as self employed... Starting up | Business Link - hope that helps :hug:

Haha Lea that is mad.
Which friend of yours is it, out of interest?

Latest posts

Back