To dilute or not to dilute?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahnailz

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have finally gained my certificates, got my insurance, and have my first client on Monday!!!! am so scared it's stupid!!!!

Please please answer my question about sterilising fluid. Here goes, I bought a sterilising tray and sterilising fluid to go with it (dream by essential nails) but, there were no instructions!!!! am I being dopey? lol because I don't know how to use the damn thing and I want all my bits and bobs sterilised.

Do you dilute the liquid?
How long does the sterilisation process take?
Can you reuse the fluid?
can you leave your instruments in liquid overnight?

Thanks everone xxxx

Firstly you do not need to sterilize your implements. You only need to disinfect them. Sterilization is only necessary if your tools or implements cut or abrade the skin and become contaminated with body fluid.

I can't be doing with all this soaking and diluting. I use the Mundo range from Sweert Squared and the Hard Surface Disinfectant Wipes are so quick to use betwen clients as well as the RAPID instrument & tool disinfecting liquid that works in minutes and also contains rust inhibitors to keep your expensive tools like new. Also (as they shoud be) the instructions are on the bottle/packet.

www.sweetsquared.com

Sorry this doesn't help you today with your problem but maybe useful information for the future.

Last edited:
Thank you.

I think I will get my mundo catalogue out and invest in some of the wipes etc.... thanks for the advice.

Hi everyone

I have finally gained my certificates, got my insurance, and have my first client on Monday!!!! am so scared it's stupid!!!!

Please please answer my question about sterilising fluid. Here goes, I bought a sterilising tray and sterilising fluid to go with it (dream by essential nails) but, there were no instructions!!!! am I being dopey? lol because I don't know how to use the damn thing and I want all my bits and bobs sterilised.

Can you reuse the fluid?

Thanks everone xxxx

Hi Sarah,

Personally I would sterilise all intruments used after each client, regardless if you do cut or abrade the skin. The reason I say this is due to the fact that Hep / Bacteria can live on the utentils up to 10 days.

Not saying the client/s will have hep, but I'd prefer to be safe than sorry.

It is also proven that wipes do not remove all bacteria / and most definately will not remove hep.

It is always a good idea to have at least 5 sets of implements, as too have in place, as for the next client, and the previous tools can be soaking, ready to be sterilized. There is Chlorohexidine which is a hospital grade disinfectant to soak and scrub tools, with out causing rusting. I would not leave over night soaking.

No disrespect to Geeg.

Hope this helps. :)

Hi Sarah,

Personally I would sterilise all instruments used after each client, regardless if you do cut or abrade the skin. The reason I say this is due to the fact that Hep / Bacteria can live on the utensils up to 10 days.

It is also proven that wipes do not remove all bacteria / and most definitely will not remove hep.

It is always a good idea to have at least 5 sets of implements, as too have in place, as for the next client, and the previous tools can be soaking, ready to be sterilized. There is Chlorohexidine which is a hospital grade disinfectant to soak and scrub tools, with out causing rusting. I would not leave over night soaking.

No disrespect to Geeg.

I got the following info from the Mundo website........

Manufactured to Medical standards, the Mundo range is effective against fungi, viruses, spores and bacteria including MRSA, E-Coli, TB, Salmonella, HIV/HBV and C-Dif

mundo

Hope that helps a bit :wink2:

To say that it is necessary to sterilize after each client is to say that one does not know the difference between sterilizing and disinfecting.

The only thing that sterilization does beyond disinfection is to kill spores.

Disinfection kills all pathogens on a surface apart from spores, therefore it has been determined that disinfection procedures in the salon are all that is normally necessary in that environment.

If blood is present then you have to go further. Certain blood borne diseases are spore related such as Hepatitis. As we are not in the habit of performing surgery on our clients, disinfection is all that is normally necessary. Understanding the difference is important.

The Mundo article is enlightening.

Last edited:
Hi, just had a look at the Mundo site. Very impressive, I have just copied and pasted a few things that I think is very important. But that is a great site. I had never heard of it. Thankyou for that. :)

How can I disinfect my metal tools quickly and effectively in between clients?

It is important to use a highly efficient broad spectrum disinfectant. You must ensure it contains rust inhibitors to prevent damage to your tools or instruments - such as Mundo Rapid Instrument & Tool Disinfectant (effective disinfection in just 5 minutes) or Mundo Concentrated Instrument & Tool Disinfectant.

What can I do to reduce the risk of catching MRSA?

MRSA is usually contracted by people who have open wounds or sores or are very ill. Predominantly, it is spread by direct skin to skin contact and you may carry MRSA without developing any symptoms, but then pass it on to a more vulnerable person.

Good hand hygiene is essential to reduce the risks of catching and spreading MRSA, so washing hands before and after contact with each client is essential.

Using Mundo Surgical Hand Wash, Mundo Sanitizing Hand Gel and Mundo Sanitizing Hand Spray will ensure your hands are thoroughly santised and drastically reduce ( only reduced /still not 100% proof to stop the spread of MRSA or Staph or hep.) the risk of you catching or passing on any disease or infection.

Another section on net re: tools.

If you have acrylic nails, ask your nail salon what product it uses. ... Metal tools that could penetrate the skin should be sterilised in an autoclave. Non-disposable nail implements should be rinsed, scrubbed in tepid water and ... Some nail salons keep implements especially set aside for each regular client. ...

Another section on net re: tools......

Metal tools that could penetrate the skin should be sterilized in an autoclave. ... Some nail salons keep implements especially set aside for each regular client. ... client of a nail salon.

http://www.habia.org/uploads/Nails_Code_of_Practice_LRES.pdf

Also if you go onto the above site, on page 4, outlines a lot about spores, diseases, tools, autoclaves etc.

Personally, I soak + scrub all of my tools, regardless if I have caused a cut/abrade the skin. As like i have stated in earlier posts, not all bateria/organisms etc can be 100% cleaned by wiping with a sterilization wipe. Sorry, but it is best to be safe than sorry.

Our Local Health Dept + Local Council will do an inspection of our premises every 6 months, and as I do Body Piercing as well as being a Nail Technician, I do deal with a lot of Products and Diseases. We have to know what can happen, and what does happen.

I do know that even by wipeing over an instrument, that is not 100% proof that it will stop the spread of hep / or MRSA/staph.

hope this helps a bit. Sorry for reposting again, but this is too important not to.

Just another section on utentsils + autoclaving:

How are nail implements sanitized?

Autoclaving (heat sterilization) is best, says Ralph Daniel, MD, a dermatologist in Jackson, MS. But most states allow chemical sterilizing as long as the implements are immersed in the solution for at least 10 minutes between customers.

Have a great day.

Trudy :):):)

Last edited by a moderator:
For the past 25 years I have practiced disinfection in the salon as I am aware of how effective it is. So effective that our own NAIL industry guidelines stipulate that disinfection is adequate in the salon ... we do not need to operate in a hospital environment to perform nail services.

I wipe my tools after every client with a disinfecting wipe and then my desk. THEN my tools go in the rapid disinfection liquid. Quick, easy and SAFE.

For the past 25 years I have practiced disinfection in the salon as I am aware of how effective it is. So effective that our own NAIL industry guidelines stipulate that disinfection is adequate in the salon ... we do not need to operate in a hospital environment to perform nail services.

I wipe my tools after every client with a disinfecting wipe and then my desk. THEN my tools go in the rapid disinfection liquid. Quick, easy and SAFE.

Hi, I did not relise that once you wiped your tools with a disinfecting wipe, that then you place it in a rapid disinfection liquid. That is great. What is the brand you use Gigi?

I understand you saying "we do not need to operate in a hospital environment, but our local health and council departments say otherwise. Must be different here in Australia than the Uk, or where ever you are based.
We have a 5 page information package, regarding what is expected in a salon, what chemicals are to be used when soaking our tools, what % of the chemical has to be, so our health dept and council are fairly tough over here. Which of course is a benefit.

As then our clients know when I open a bag of tools in front of them, they have been put through the autoclave. As it is dated, times on it, and a print out of the length of time, and the degrees of celusis it has been through.

That information is then transferred to the client cards, as Council will inspect that as well. They are very strict here.

Have a great day :)

I use Mundo Products.

Yes things are different in different places. I live in Spain where there are no regulations as nails are so new. I have owned and operated salons in the UK for 25 years before that.

I in fact have always done more than any regulations have stipulated as when I started in this business no one did anything!! There are still no checks on these things. To me it requires knowledge and then a healthy balance .. it is completely over the top to have to autoclave IMHO in the nail salon between each client. Doesn't make it a BAD thing of course .. but it is overkill just as are new abrasicves for each client. WE are filing plastic not people and if I happened to cut someone I would throw the file away not autoclave it.

The good techs will always do what is necessary. The bad ones won't bother no matter the regulations.
Hi, I did not relise that once you wiped your tools with a disinfecting wipe, that then you place it in a rapid disinfection liquid. That is great. What is the brand you use Gigi?

I understand you saying "we do not need to operate in a hospital environment, but our local health and council departments say otherwise. Must be different here in Australia than the Uk, or where ever you are based.
We have a 5 page information package, regarding what is expected in a salon, what chemicals are to be used when soaking our tools, what % of the chemical has to be, so our health dept and council are fairly tough over here. Which of course is a benefit.

As then our clients know when I open a bag of tools in front of them, they have been put through the autoclave. As it is dated, times on it, and a print out of the length of time, and the degrees of celusis it has been through.

That information is then transferred to the client cards, as Council will inspect that as well. They are very strict here.

Have a great day :)

I use Mundo Products.

Yes things are different in different places. I live in Spain where there are no regulations as nails are so new. I have owned and operated salons in the UK for 25 years before that.

I in fact have always done more than any regulations have stipulated as when I started in this business no one did anything!! There are still no checks on these things. To me it requires knowledge and then a healthy balance .. it is completely over the top to have to autoclave IMHO in the nail salon between each client. Doesn't make it a BAD thing of course .. but it is overkill just as are new abrasicves for each client. WE are filing plastic not people and if I happened to cut someone I would throw the file away not autoclave it.

The good techs will always do what is necessary. The bad ones won't bother no matter the regulations.

I have just taken a really great look at the Mundo site, they have great products.

Yes, I totally understand where you are coming from, it is completely over the top, but what can we do, when that is what our council and health dept request. It is a pain.

I don't autoclave files, if by chance I do cut the skin, ( very seldom ) it goes straight in the bin.

So if you are in Spain now, do you still own Salons in the U.K. Do you work and own a salon in Spain, or are you just renting a space. I bet the Spanish people are blown away with your work.

Thank you for all your time and information. It has been a great help.

Have a great day.

Trude :)

Hi Sarah,

Personally I would sterilise all intruments used after each client, regardless if you do cut or abrade the skin. The reason I say this is due to the fact that Hep / Bacteria can live on the utentils up to 10 days.

It is also proven that wipes do not remove all bacteria / and most definately will not remove hep.

No disrespect to Geeg.

I agree with geeg, no need to strerilise. Unless of course you make you clients bleed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone

Can you reuse the fluid?

Thanks everone xxxx

Here (US) after metal implements are used, after each client they are to be washed with antibacterial soap and water, well rinsed and put into barbicide solution for no longer than 10 minutes. after done soaking, dont touch with hands but use tongs, rinse well under water and let air dry. barbicide is mixed 2oz liquid to 32 oz water. when dry they need to go into a clean dry storage container till needed for client. the barbicide needs to be changed when starts getting cloudy or once a week whichever is sooner.

don't know if you have barbicide or other solution, but this is hospital grade, which we are required to use here. just extra info, barbacide can be purchased online at various suppliers for around $8.00usd for a 16 oz bottle.

hope this helps you out. i know different places are different rules and regulations. so check with your local regulations board or educator for best practices in your area.
kristi

I was unable to purchase mundo as they do not ship to Portugal but i purchased a medical grade disinfectant (this is meant for tools that can't be autoclaved like stetoscopes), i just wipe it clean spray and leave it for the recomended time. If anyone has a question i just show them the bottle were it says very specificly everything it kills...

I did use barbicide but Mundo disinfects against much more. I keep my implements in solution all day and change every 2 days sometimes daily. I use the spray on my desks (love the smell) and use the hands n feet sanitiser and the file spray. Mundo conforms to the Habia code so I'm happy to use and rec them.

Hi everyone

Can you reuse the fluid?

Thanks everone xxxx

If there are no written instructions then I'd suggest you send it back to where you purchased it.

If you use the product in a different way to how it should be used and end up spreading infection, then the liability will be with you.

Even if somebody answers your questions on this site, unless they are the manufacturer or their agent then you could still be liable.

Thanks to all those people who have commented on the Mundo range - your feedback is greatly appreciated. If anyone has any questions then I'm happy to answer them!

Latest posts

Back