To Discount or Not to Discount? Need advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammiC

Reaction score
OK so Ive had a friend helping me do a few handyman things in my new salon, of which I am paying him for his services, albeit "mates rates" which is great but his wife has mentioned jokingly to me twice now about giving her a discount (Im feeling she thinks because hes helped me at cheap rates).

On opening I am already offering 25% off treatment/s for first visit to me, of which will apply to her anyway but should I offer her anything else? Its a small community here so I will see her regularly out and about. I dont really know if she would come for a treatment anyway let alone becomming a regular client but you never know. All advice appreciated :biggrin:

You should not have paid the handyman 'mates rates'.

There is no doubt in my mind that she feels entitled to 'mates rates' back from you.

I would suggest you pay the handy man the difference between his 'mates rates' and his 'regular rates' and explain its because you are unable to offer mates rates back to his wife.

Jacqui xx

Id rather pay the handyman full price then you don't owe anyone anything in return, 25% off in the first place is already a big discount anyway. I had a lady who's colour I used to do she was being made redundant so offered for her husband to set me up a website for free in return of me doing her 8 colour, cut and blowdrys throughout the year, people can be abit cheeky, keep in mind once you start something they expect it all the time too. Xx

Why don't you get her a present if there is nothing you can do about the mates rates handyman? Like if she came in for a facial or something then just give her a cleanser/toner/moisturiser. And give her something to take back to mr handyman. That way you've paid them in gift form and won't have to give her loads of discounts. Tell them it's as a thank you for the help. x

Hey
So i think she is being a bit cheeky too be honest im not sure what your salon offers but maybe offer him 1 discounted treatment!

Do u have any loyalty cards? U should fill one up for her and leave the last one or two blank that way she is coming in an buying but also receiving a discount an that way she won't expect further discounted treatments until she has filled up et next loyalty card!

I really like the loyalty card idea or why don't you say that you're already offering 25% off first treatments but you'll extend that offer to 25% off three treatments to her. That way you're giving a definite end to the cheaper rates but she feels she's got something in return for the mates rates you paid her husband?

If anything her husband should get the discount. Could u not try doing 2 discount cards for say 10 or 20% off when u spend... Or more? My introduce a friend has the clause printed on all my leaflets saying the friend must call and quote faf and the referee's name and number for the referee to get the 10% off but the new client must spend over £30 and no offers can be used. Xoxo

Thanks everyone for your replies and some great advice, it's most appreciated!

As it was a deal struck between her hubby and me and he's happy with his offered price then I see no way I can give him anymore money plus it was only a few small things he helped me with! Initially he wasnt going to charge me but I insisted on paying for his time and effort. Also as i dont offer treatments for men I couldn't swap services.

It was only when we bumped into each other and his wife was present that she started saying things about giving her a discount! I haven't set up loyalty cards as yet but I do like the idea of giving her a little something extra or offering her a special discounted price for her first three visits and maybe a nice box of choccys to take home to hubby! Thanks again for your advice! Xx

Latest posts

Back