Toddler's tantrum had police at the door!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dani88

Reaction score
Omg! Im a little shaken, my 3 year old has just thrown the worst tantrum ever! He has woken up screaming for a DVD, obviously I've told him no and he has thrown such a tantrum screaming, kicking the walls throwing himself around his room. I've just calmly explained no it's too late, watch one in the morning, walked out the room to let him calm down then gone back in to try settle him in bed, this went on with me in and out for 20mins or so, his dad has come home which set him off right back at the beginning of the tantrum as he thought he would get around his daddy. At one point I went to walk out the room and he kicked the door shut as my hand was out the door. There were no raised voices from my partner and I then the police knock on the door! Well I'm mortified! Bring the police straight in (a little embarrassed as my house was a little messy) took them to his room, they stopped for a minute then left and said that they can see everything is fine. I am so upset by the whole thing! But on a plus note I think the police lady scared the baby a little and he is sound asleep now!

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? I'm massively embarrassed especially at the thought of a neighbour thinking I may have been harming my little boy 😞

Danielle Trainee Hairdresser 😘

No but sometimes people need to mind their own business !
My daughter used to have really bad tantrums in public and at home and honestly the looks I got off of people you would have think I committed murder !
Kids are kids and they have tantrums you done the right thing stuck to your word their fore you are a very good parent x

I really wouldn't know how to control it apart from phoning Supernanny.

My daughter only ever did it once, at home, she threw herself on the floor screeching....I threw myself on the floor, screeching only much louder than her.

She only ever did it the once.

I installed fear into her at a very young age! It must have frightened her half to death.

Virtues I'd be petrified too if I saw you screaming on the floor ;)

People do need to mind their own business! I suppose on the other hand it's good to know that they care enough to call the police if anything did happen.

I'd have a chat with the neighbours in the morning anyway though x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Don't take it the wrong way, what if your neighbours did live next door to unsavoury people, plenty of people would turn a blind eye to screaming noises next door. What if it was a case of domestic abuse or child abuse?

The police have been and gone and nothing to worry about, you obviously wouldn't do the same if for instance you heard a couple screaming next door. But that phone call could save a life!

Screaming at one in the morning? I'd probably call the cops too. First off, if everyone ignored, people in genuine distress wouldn't get help, and secondly, it was probably a bloody nuisance, and they have a right to a good nights sleep too.
If they were screaming at one in the morning, I'm sure you'd do the same thing.

I can understand how upsetting the whole thing must be for you. But I can also understand why your neighbors felt the need to call the police.

I was very fortunate that neither of mine ever had real tantrums, and have always been brilliant sleepers, with the help of a strict bedtime routine.

But if I heard my neighbors child screaming uncontrollably at 1am, accompanied by thuds and bangs, I would probably call the police, or go round there myself.

No harm done, little one went to sleep, and will probably think twice about causing such havoc again after the police visit!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Agree completely with the three geeks above!!

It's because people often mind their own business and don't want to get involved that the horrible things we end up seeing on the news happen to babies and children. And adults too.

Potential abuse in the home should never be ignored - make a phone call and let the police deal with it.

OP, glad you sorted things out in the end.

With the wars I'm currently having lately with my 4 & 5 year old girls, I'm surprised they haven't been here yet!

Hair washing time sounds like I'm torturing the pair of them lol x

Kids...jaysus they'd hang you! You poor thing,I'd have been mortified too!
I saw a thing on fb the other day:
"For all those thinking of having kids, my 2 year old had a 3 hour tantrum because she couldn't get rid of her own shadow"
I think that pretty much sums up toddler tantrums! :)

Just get him back,by telling that story on his wedding day!

Sent from my HTC One V using SalonGeek mobile app

I would be furious and angry about the neighbours calling the police BUT when I took a step back and maybe thought if I was next door hearing this I would understand.
To many people turn a blind eye so least your neighbours care enough to give a damn.
You sound like a fantastic mum, my daughter cried (screamed) a lot as a baby and I found it very hard.
I like what someone said about telling the story in his wedding day ;) xx

Id do the same even if I didnt think anything bad was happening because id feel awful if something bad was going on and I didnt ring the police, your neighbours did the right thing im supried I havnt had the police called on me my daughter always cries at bedtime and bangs her head on the end of the bed! And even though I keep going in I dont speak to her because it makes her worse so my neighbours probably think I just leave her in her room crying!
Ah the joy of kids bless em :rolleyes:
<3 Stephanie <3

People don't get involved for fear of being attacked themselves. Detached house with no neighbours is the way forward.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Initially I thought that is ridiculous, most children have tantrums and it doesn't mean they're naughty kids either, its developmental whilst they learn they cant have what they want. And if you weren't shouting either?! And I would imagine she could hear what your daughter was screaming about the dvd. My initial thought would be she called not because she was worried but because she was annoyed by the noise. But then like above, after you think about it, if its out of character then perhaps she was worried and maybe more of us should call. My downstairs neighbours kid used to scream all the bloody time (my 3 year old will have a good tantrum but this was every single night) but I could also hear what they were saying back so whilat it p155ed me off I didnt think she was ever in danger. Just in receipt of some bad parenting!

What I would do is go over and smooth things over, apologise if she was worried and thank her for her concern and explain what had happened (and suss out her reaction and why she called!) because you dont want it to be awkward or to be worrying that the police are going to be called when your child has a meltdown!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm another who would call and if it happened me and the police came out I can honestly say I would be thankful to know I had neighbours who care enough to pick up the phone for my child's safety.

When I lived in Liverpool we moved to a new house and found Annabelle with what looked like a rat poison pellet in her hand from the electric cupboard. We took her straight to the hospital who were great and said she didn't appear to have eaten any of whatever it was and would be fine. 2 days later social services turned up to do a home check. I was surprised when they arrived but we thanked them and told them we understood that although in our case it was something in the house from the past tenant rather than carelessness that we would rather they were checking people were taking genuine care and safe guards for their kids even if it meant visiting honest joes like ourselves.

More people sticking their noses in today saves a lot of heartache in the future. Don't we all wish somebody had stuck their nose in when it came to babies like baby p? X

I'm another who would call and if it happened me and the police came out I can honestly say I would be thankful to know I had neighbours who care enough to pick up the phone for my child's safety.

When I lived in Liverpool we moved to a new house and found Annabelle with what looked like a rat poison pellet in her hand from the electric cupboard. We took her straight to the hospital who were great and said she didn't appear to have eaten any of whatever it was and would be fine. 2 days later social services turned up to do a home check. I was surprised when they arrived but we thanked them and told them we understood that although in our case it was something in the house from the past tenant rather than carelessness that we would rather they were checking people were taking genuine care and safe guards for their kids even if it meant visiting honest joes like ourselves.

More people sticking their noses in today saves a lot of heartache in the future. Don't we all wish somebody had stuck their nose in when it came to babies like baby p? X

Baby P was already under social services control - says it all doesn't it. No matter how many people called the police his fate would remain the same, he was let down by the authorities that should've dealt with the situation correctly.

However this particular topic has done the rounds more than once along with the input from geeks that work in SS. If I remember correctly the outcome was 99.9% of the time they do not remove children.

Last edited:

I thought the same , if only someone had called the police for that poor child .

I know this is not the same situation but I'm telling it just to highlight how a member of the public can save a life...

A few years ago my friend was getting a trolley outside a supermarket in California .
She spotted a guy with a young girl begging beside the trolley bay.
She felt something was not right so went inside and called the cops.
It turns out this guy had taken the child (12) from a different state and was living in the woods with her. Because he pleaded guilty and therefore the child didnt have to testify, his death penalty was commuted to life without parole.
The child's father got his child returned to him the week before Xmas ....and all because my friend stuck her nose in....Thank God!

When your neighbours curtain twitch at every opportunity even when you are just walking to your car it can get rather tiring. But most of them are lovely and genuinely care for the safety of others on their street so I can live with a few nosey nellys if it means I'm safe :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Totally agree with the majority here. Child Protection is everybody's business and you should never turn a blind eye. The Police deal with so many of these calls all the time and could obviously see that things were as they are in most households, perfectly normal.

On my Safeguarding update a couple of months ago, we had more information given on the downfalls of the Baby P case and how the events were able to go as far as they did. It was shocking just as it is meant to be and very upsetting to see real pictures of injuries.

Your neighbours were just being responsible, I wish more people would speak out or do something if they were worried.

Totally agree with the majority here. Child Protection is everybody's business and you should never turn a blind eye. The Police deal with so many of these calls all the time and could obviously see that things were as they are in most households, perfectly normal.

On my Safeguarding update a couple of months ago, we had more information given on the downfalls of the Baby P case and how the events were able to go as far as they did. It was shocking just as it is meant to be and very upsetting to see real pictures of injuries.

Your neighbours were just being responsible, I wish more people would speak out or do something if they were worried.

Oh God Corinne, you had to look at pictures! I wouldn't even read the details of that or any other similar cases....I wouldn't be able to sleep . :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back