Toning bleach blonde to grey

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure I'd put it on dry tbh (just because I've never tried it!) as it may take unexpectedly in some areas, in theory tho it would be better done that way, I'm glad you worked out that youve just neutralised the yellow by going straight in with it, had you have done the 0.11 then done the mix afterwards it would have been a different outcome but as you said you were pressed for time, could you get the regular Igora 9.5-22 rather than the pearl one? I feel like the pearlesence ones are a bit like wella instamatics and are tendant to wash out quickly... Don't let it knock your confidence too much mind greys are a bugger for everyone, I've started to drop down to a level 8 for toning greys now, I feel like level 9 dosent have enough pigment sometimes to give it a decent grey hue

Thanks for the reply. It us the normal igora one (permanent) I wouldn't use the pearlesence because of the fading factor with them. That's why I thought if I actually put it on dry now, even if took better on some of the hair it would look deeper (as long as not patchy). Might do mid length and ends first, cover really well, leave for 20 then do roots...worth a try! I'll keep you informed. Will use the 0.11 as a toner tho, think that'll work a lot better on most blondes :)

Would you suggest using a toner to get to white before going in with another toner so say to achieve grey or baby pink @kahuna hair so you've got a near white first to get the best results?

Would you suggest using a toner to get to white before going in with another toner so say to achieve grey or baby pink @kahuna hair so you've got a near white first to get the best results?
Yes definatley, we all rush these things due to timing in salons but the results you see online From the pros are not rushed! Any pastel/light type colours are best done over a clean base, you have to consider the underlying tones when doing these colours, if you put pink over yellow, it won't come out pink but if you put it over white it'll be beautiful! :) same for silvers lilacs etc, that extra 10 mins (coz that's all it is really) will make the world of difference :)

Yes definatley, we all rush these things due to timing in salons but the results you see online From the pros are not rushed! Any pastel/light type colours are best done over a clean base, you have to consider the underlying tones when doing these colours, if you put pink over yellow, it won't come out pink but if you put it over white it'll be beautiful! :) same for silvers lilacs etc, that extra 10 mins (coz that's all it is really) will make the world of difference :)
Yeah when in the salon your so limited to the timings! Easier when your mobile! Going to try this when I do mine! Do you tend to stick to the same colour line for both toners or have you got equally good results with different lines?

Yeah when in the salon your so limited to the timings! Easier when your mobile! Going to try this when I do mine! Do you tend to stick to the same colour line for both toners or have you got equally good results with different lines?
No I rarely stick to the same colour line tbh, I just make sure each is rinsed out before the next is applied, I would quite often tone to white with a schwarpskopf 0.11 then use a completely different brand to get my target shade :) I think in our carrear we come across many amazing products and from each range there's that perfect go to shade :) my stock cupboard at the mo is like a rainbow with all the different Colour houses I have in stock

I think that's the best way to be! If you limit yourself to just the one colour house you've got no room to play and mess about with colours! I'll let you know how I get on on Wednesday! X

Agreed with @kahuna hair! First neutralize warmth and then create your target shade, if your desired shade in the end is cool toned. If it's warmer, like peaches, rose golds, etc, you can 'usually' take in to account the present yellow warmth and formulate accordingly. So two-step toning for cool tones, one step, sometimes, for warmer tones. And 0-11 is the best ever! 0-11 and 0-22! The best!

I'm in the process of doing this, my client was a base 6 with light ends, she said she normally lifts quite quickly which I would have expected. So I bleached her with a 9% but after an hour still was looking quite orange/yellow & wasn't convinced leaving it on longer was going to get to the level needed ready for grey/silver toning. So removed the colour & toned. Dryed & was still quite yellow, lighter than I expected but still not quite there, I had another client so I've arranged for her to come back, just wondered would you recommed to bleach again with 6% or 9% & then tone or just try to tone up to white? I used easy meche so I could see the hair lifting not sure if this slows down the bleaching process over foils I added heat also just wasn't lifting as well as I thought it would [emoji53]

Latest posts

Back