Top Coat (natural nails only)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High5Mel

Reaction score
Dear Geeks,

I'm new to this site - it's great for finding answers to any of my nail queries but not so good for not spending money (I have a very long list of nail products I want to buy now after seeing them praised by other geeks!!)

I'm currently using Seche base and top coats and Essie varnishes. I'm happy with these but, like a true geek, am always on a quest to improve my treatments if I can. Can any of you give me an opinion/comparison of these top coats I want to try (mainly to see if they increase the longevity of my client's varnish - but also interested in drying times and glossiness) as I can't afford to buy them all to give them a trial.....

CND
Super Shiney
Air Dry
Heat Dry (v interested in this one)

INM
Out the Door
Looks Wet
Northern Lights

Diamond Dry

Essie's Good to Go

Really interested to hear from anyone who's used a few of these and can make a comparison. Thank-you ladies!

Hi welcome,
I have tried the CND range and love it... also tried the Out the Door top coat.. went stringy and gluggy very quickly..
so for me CND would be the choice
X Mel

Super shiney is fab drys very quickly and really is super shiney:green:

Me too, Super Shiney is fab fab fab!!

Sue x

Super Shiney for me too but I do like Northern Lights for a bit of sparkle.

Seche has got to be one of the best if not the best on the market , IMO i wouldn't change:)

Have you tried Good to Go, also by Essie? It promotes a long-lasting shine, just like Seche Vite actually but IMO, dries even quicker!

Last edited:
I'm a CND Air Dry convert. It's the best topcoat I've used. HTH! :)

Thanks geeks! You're a very nice bunch - I'm glad I've joined your gang!

Right, I'm going to try the CND top coats I listed and Essie's Good to GO. (Though, because I'm not actually dissatisfied with Seche - just want to check I'm not missing out on a better top coat out there - I may very well end up going back to it...!)

Still interested in anyone's experience of CND's Heat Dry. I just like the idea of it for some reason. Anyone tried it?

I have tried the Heat Dry. I like it on nail enhancements but not on natural nails. It might just have been my NN client that had problems, though. HTH! :)

Hiya

I have used seche topcoat in the past buut found that halfway through the bottle it goes all gloopy.

I now use essie good to go and think its fab. it dries quickly and has a great shine.

Have you tried any quick dry sprays before?
I use the creative solar speed dry and it really dries the nails in seconds and smells great.

Hope this helps

Lisa

BTEC ND Beauty therapy
Bio sculpture nail tech

Thanks Lisa. You're not wrong! - the Seche does thicken quite quickly. But I always use the Seche Restore/thinner which works well (also found it thins any Essie varnishes that are prone to thicken, like some of the dark colours, and so far it's worked with no ill effect).

I'll definitely try the Good to Go (I have tried To Dry For and found it rubbish, for want of a better word!). I apply Solar oil a few mins after I finish painting.

Sorry, just one more question. Do you recommend any of the Essie base coats?

Hi again

The essie protein base is a good all rounder. its a white looking varnish but paints clear and is really easy to apply and dries quickly.

I hope you get on well with new products let me know what you think.

LOL

Lisa
ND BTEC beauty therapy
Bio Sculpture nail tech

Glad you said that - protein base coat is the one I've just ordered after I saw it on another site getting very good reviews. I got the impression the reviewers were consumers just using on themselves, so it's good to get a professional opinion on it too. Thanks for your help x

Latest posts

Back