Top coat recommendation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simply Nails

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wanted some help on top coats. Which one do you all use? I already have Lumos but (don't shout me down) I want to try CND's top coats.

So before I buy any of them I just wanted your thoughts on how each one performs. I know we all have our different opinions on products, but I haven't tried any of them yet.

Super shiney
Air Dry
Speedy

Thanks x

Out of the CND topcoats, I love AirDry the most. It's amazing! HTH! :)

Super Shiney, It gives a loving long lasting shine, Fabulous

xxx

Super Shiny or Air Dry, love them both. But really want to try the new Lumos soon

I used to be a Super Shiny gal, but since trying Lumos I dont think I would go back.

It is good to try different things though.

I've never tired Air Dry, so I can't comment on that, but I much prefer Orly In A Snap to both Lumos and Super Shiny. My clients prefer it too, they say it makes their polish last longer.

LUMOS is an outstanding top coat with it's great shine, super fast dry time and long lasting protection but if you want to use the CND brand then i can tell you that I used Super Shiney for 15 years and and always loved it, no complaints about anything loved it ... Then when Air Dry came along I loved it even more! Quicker drying and even more protection.

As your post is asking about the CND brand then Air Dry is the one I would recommend for sure.

Last edited:
great replys everyone, thanks so much.

Does Air dry still give a good shine?

Whilst I loved Lumos dry time, I'm still not convinced and I can't put my finger on what it is. It might be that I was annoyed that the brush has picked up polish and turned it a funny colour. I never had this problem using OPI and I used it exactly the same, but i must have done something differently.

Geeg, I read on another post from a while back that you recommended Stickey for base coat, is this still true? Does this smooth things out or should I invest in some ridge filler too?

great replys everyone, thanks so much.

Does Air dry still give a good shine?

Whilst I loved Lumos dry time, I'm still not convinced and I can't put my finger on what it is. It might be that I was annoyed that the brush has picked up polish and turned it a funny colour. I never had this problem using OPI and I used it exactly the same, but i must have done something differently.

Geeg, I read on another post from a while back that you recommended Stickey for base coat, is this still true? Does this smooth things out or should I invest in some ridge filler too?
Air Dry gives a good shine ... I don't think it is as shiny as Lumos though.

Love Stickey base coat but it is not a ridge filler for that you want CND RidgeOut which gives an awesome surface to paint on. These days I also use Lumos bottom coat which is very similar to Sticky but dries even faster.

The trick to not picking up colour on your brush when using Lumos is fast application and using a generous amount on your brush to 'float' it on. You wont transfer any colour if you do that. :green: different products work ... well ... differently and being able to adapt your techniques is very important.

Super Shiney for me too! Although I have recently bought Lumos to try when my current shiney runs out so may change my mind. I love Solar Speed Spray too, the smell is divine!

Gigi, I know as nail techs we should discover what works for us ourselves, but i trust everything that you say :) If stickey is similar to lumos base coat, then maybe i wouldn't benefit from buying it. Do you mostly use lumos now?
I realised that I need to apply the top coat generously but I don't know if its me but the top coat seems to be quite thick. Has anyone else found this? Lumos base is really thin though.
I know this sounds obvious but I have to ask, is Air dry as shiny as Super shiney?

Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated x

Gigi, I know as nail techs we should discover what works for us ourselves, but i trust everything that you say :) If stickey is similar to lumos base coat, then maybe i wouldn't benefit from buying it. Do you mostly use lumos now?
I realised that I need to apply the top coat generously but I don't know if its me but the top coat seems to be quite thick. Has anyone else found this? Lumos base is really thin though.
I know this sounds obvious but I have to ask, is Air dry as shiny as Super shiney?

Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated x

Air Dry is shiny but I think Lumos is shinier! Lol

I do use Lumos more now, but if I didn't have any I would be quite satisfied to use Air Dry, Super Shiny sticky etc. It's not either or to me. I have both and I Use both quite happily, which ever comes to hand first! :lol:

Thank you for your trust and confidence ... That means allot to me and I would never say something was a great product if it was not ... To me what is great are the products that perform. Something like a great top coat should perform for anyone ... Not just work for some people and not others ... That makes no sense to me.

I use them all & love them all.........sitting on the fence or what lol!
I do really like Lumos, I must admit wasn't sure at first with it being much thicker, I have warmed to it very well now. Before I had Lumos I had a habit of reaching for speedy before super shiney just for the dry time & I when I am doing enhancements I love super shiney.........think I am just a CND girl through and through really :lol:

Thanks Deb, it helps to get others opinions on products. And you've been really helpful.x

Latest posts

Back