Top tips for Shellac removal - also posted in group :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bex_w84

Reaction score
Hi fellow Shellac lovers!

Just a quick one really. I am following the S.I.T procedure for my Shellac removals for the 10 minutes but finding that the polish isn't removing as it should.

Any top tips as I am worried I am missing something...

Here is my procedure as per my Shellac course:

1. Saturate the pad on the wraps with d.solve .
2. Place the pad over the Shellac-ed nails and wrap tightly with the CND logo to either be at the side or on top.
3. Leave for 10 minutes.
4. Rub and twist the wrap and slide off.
5. Use birchwood stick to remove any remaining Shellac.

My problem lies when I have removed the wrap...I seem to be left with LOADS of stubborn Shellac on the nail...where am I going wrong?

Thanks in advance!

x

Any stubborn bits of base coat can be removed by saturating a hands down pad with d'solve and the nail scrubbed. Only really thickly applied base coat will be left so ensure that your base coat application is really thin.
Jen x

hi hun

couple of things may be the cause perhaps? Is your base coat nice and thin? When i started i used to have trouble removing as I'd polished the base coat a little thicker than necessary.

Are you timing your ten minutes from the first wrap you apply or the last? Timing starts from the first wrap you put on, so by the time you get to the last that has only had ten minutes.

Final thought make sure you work one nail at a time rather than removing all ten foils/wraps at once.

Not sure if that's any help to you hun.

Love n hugs x x x

ha ha Jen you're faster at typing!

i just use a pad and foil wrap to remove the shellac, i was having trouble getting the shellac removal wrap on tight on some fingers, and although i still use the shellac wraps i mainly use a pad and foil to remove and works a treat!

Hi, I just cut tin foil into squares and saturate a Cotten wipe in acetone and leave for 10! I have had no problems with this hope the helps xx

Hi, I just cut tin foil into squares and saturate a Cotten wipe in acetone and leave for 10! I have had no problems with this hope the helps xx

Hi,

I am trying this method but how do you get the foils to stay in place? Mine twist or fall of becasue I just cant get them tight. I have read on other threads that people use tape? surely this cant look very good?

TY X:(

Hi,

I am trying this method but how do you get the foils to stay in place? Mine twist or fall of becasue I just cant get them tight. I have read on other threads that people use tape? surely this cant look very good?

TY X:(
Imagenn a square of foil finger in the middle flat .
fold foil over the tip of the finger
fold the left side over then fold the right side over
likeswaddlingg a baby

Imagenn a square of foil finger in the middle flat .
fold foil over the tip of the finger
fold the left side over then fold the right side over
likeswaddlingg a baby

Thanks Mizzy.......I am kind of doing that but will follow your exact method tonight. ty x

If your clients hands are cold it can take a little longer to remove.

I use foil rather than the wraps too and find it works better for me, but instead of using a wipe I unroll a little ball of cotton wool and break it up into 10 pieces. Because it's nice and thin I find it sort of clings to the nail so doesn't slip and not too much acetone is used either.

Not sure if you have tried the 'hands down' soak off remover wraps that are available from beauty express? I used them on myself recently as I didn't want to use my CND ones (i would rather keep them for clients). They don't look as nice but they are made from material that stretches and sticks to itself and I found they secure better than the CND ones. Could be worth a try. :)

I just place over top of nail then wrap around and twist at the end giving it a little squeeze! Good luck x

It's a fact that if the Shellac has been on for longer than the 2 weeks, it does take longer to remove

I have 2 ladies who go 3 weeks with theirs, it takes an extra 3/4 mins, I just leave the wraps on for that bit longer then it lifts away easily with the orange stick

Hope this helps a bitxx

I use the pre prepared squares available from S2. These work well for me. The cold hands thing is worth remembering though. If my clients hands feel really cold I do wrap their hands in a towel. This I find speeds the process up too. hth xx

thank you for the replies.

I will be removing mine tomorrow so will try some of the tips.

Maybe I am going in a little thick with the base coat - will check my application.

:)

Hi there, just a little thought..... when you apply the CND remover pads make sure that they are air tight, make sure you havn't got little gaps at the end. This will allow the acetone to evaporate and the pads wont be able to do the job on hand so to speak.....Holly aka FingerNailFixer has a fab video on YouTube.... worth the watch xxx HTH a little xxxx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKq4MWgUH_U

Attachments

• Shellac S.I.T..jpg
    Shellac S.I.T..jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Hi,

I am also having problems removing shellac and I know it's not shellac but me!

I haven't done many sets yet but the removal is horrifying!

After 10min Shellac is still stuck to the nail (I use foils), it doesn't peel off easily but only the top 2 layers, or at least it looks like top coat and a bit of colour, are just about softened! I obviously don't want to scrub the nail with the stick so I have to clean every nail separately with a pad with d-solve but it takes ages and the nails appear to be really sticky after?! And to be honest I cannot remove all of the base coat!

Would it be a problem with too thick base coat application?

Ohhh I'm dreading shellac removal because of my inability of doing it professionally!

I've done the course and I was all fine but after suddenly I somehow went somewhere wrong

Please advise xxx I live shellac so much :(

Ok first things first and I have to ask this LOL, you are using the recommended CND Shellac lamp, Shellac base, Shellac colour and Shellac top coat right? xxx
You are using the complete system !

Make sure your basecoat is applied thin, and only cure it for 10 seconds....ensure, if you use the foil method, that the cotton wool is wet enough, not dripping, but enough so the acetone can move through the tiny tunnels and release the basecoat from the nail plate.
Check that the foil is securely placed around the nail and no little gaps so the acetone does not evaporates before it can do its job. Work on one finger at a time, when one finger is shellac free, move to the next wrapped finger and repeat till all ten are off.

Have you taken a class? A Shellac class will not just show you how to apply, but also remove correctly with minimum fuss and time effort xxxx

Last edited:
Hi

Thank you for replying!

I use the complete system, cure for 10aec and I've taken the class.

It was all fine on the class and had no issues with removal but when I got home as if the magic stopped working!

It took me last night 40min to do 6fingers and not even perfectly. 'm just removing the rest :(

I will work on my base coat application- hopefully it will help.

I feel really down about it as I'm hardly offering 10min removal service!

Ehhhhh!

I'm adding a picture so you can see how it looks after 10min in d-solve! I'm gonna cry :(

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1333521167.573592.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1333521167.573592.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 218
That's after another 10min in wraps! This time I used shellac wraps not maji :(

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1333522535.936415.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1333522535.936415.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 175

Latest posts

Back