Torn between 2 brands! Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chameleon

Reaction score
Hi Im Gabrielle and a salon owner.I currently stock Elemis and am looking to bring on a second brand,within the salon.
My number one treatments are skin care therapies and my husband Richard is a sports therapist so he does all of the massage treatments....we are quite a good team!
HOwever my dillema is this...i have looked at Decleor,and Academie scientifique de beaute.
I need something that will complement my current treatments.
Academie is very holistic and by the looks of it it marries science and nature together.The body treatments from acadayspa look out of this world,together with the essential oil range,and the range as a whole looks unique.

HOWEVER...Decleor is a well established brand and has alot of respect in the industry.
It was the very first professional brand i worked with at Champneys when i was a younger therapist.I ABSOLUTELY swear by the oils and balms....

So...now i dont know which one to choose...my husband favours academie im sure.
I am torn between the two.I have spoken with both companies and seen both area managers who have approved me to stock and do the treatments should i wish to.

My head is spinning as this is an important decision....do i stick with trusted decleor...or brave a new company like academie....after all a brand can make or break you...

I want to offer my clientele a wide choice of skincare.

Any advice would be grateful!!

Hi I use Nimue, and one of the reasons I chose it was because no other salon in this area does. Why would anyone choose to come to me if I use the same brand as every other salon? I think that as long as you have 110% trust in your products and that they do what they say they do then people will buy off your enthusiasm. Choose the better product rather than buying a brand name!

Thanks sassy for replying.
It certainly has given me food for thought.I saw on an academie product that it contained mineral oil in a cleanser,which i know is an inexpensive ingredient.
In all Elemis cleansers this is not used and it just disturbed me.Am i being silly?!
If a client posed me the question of this,and believe me i have clients that are aware of such and are discerning how could i respond??
Having said that i still love academie,and feel i could expand with it as its new and feel that it could offer my clientele something more.
I also like the fact that i could offer Nimue at a later date as i LOVE the idea of glycolic and that it uses citric acid,lactic acid,and sugar cane,unlike MD which is alot stonger.
What attracted me to Academie is that i love the holistic treatments and that the results are long term.Im absolutely in love with some of the products i have used already with Academie of which are certiany "hero" products.
Its judt that particular ingredient of parrafin and mineral oil i saw in the cleanser.
Any help??

Hi

I use dermalogica and they dont use mineral oil at all! It would send the flags up to me too. Why dont you speak to your rep about it see what she has to say?? Personally i love Elemis and decleor so i am not much help sorry xx

i know that alot of salons stock more than one skincare brand but i can't get my head round why? If the skincare brand you originally stocked is good enough why do you need a second? IMO it's a conflict of intrests and seems unecessary.

Good point,the reason why personally,is i give my clients choice and do not believe in just one brand giving all skincare answers.

Elemis is fantastic in thier textures for someone who likes something light and fresh,and they have hero products.Skin nourishing milk bath is fantastic at desensitising the skin,pro collagen marine cream is light and sinks into the skin giving results for someone who has an oilier skin but is worried about agieing.
However there are gaps in certain skin care and because there is alot of competition wher i live in my area i want to give clients the choice.I do not believe in just using one range suits all,and want my clients to use the best of the best in ceartain brands to see results.
That does not mean that as atherapist if you believe in the brand and feel that it can justify all skin concerns that it works for you,then all power to you,i just feel that does not work for me.
I even reccomend brands i do not stock to clients,if i feel they want a certain result i could not give,i always reccomend a decleor oil or balm,ill always reccomend a dermalogica mask for oily skin,or gatineau for people with excessive lines.Im completely unbiast and thats just how i am!:)

Good point,the reason why personally,is i give my clients choice and do not believe in just one brand giving all skincare answers.

Elemis is fantastic in thier textures for someone who likes something light and fresh,and they have hero products.Skin nourishing milk bath is fantastic at desensitising the skin,pro collagen marine cream is light and sinks into the skin giving results for someone who has an oilier skin but is worried about agieing.
However there are gaps in certain skin care and because there is alot of competition wher i live in my area i want to give clients the choice.I do not believe in just using one range suits all,and want my clients to use the best of the best in ceartain brands to see results.
That does not mean that as atherapist if you believe in the brand and feel that it can justify all skin concerns that it works for you,then all power to you,i just feel that does not work for me.
I even reccomend brands i do not stock to clients,if i feel they want a certain result i could not give,i always reccomend a decleor oil or balm,ill always reccomend a dermalogica mask for oily skin,or gatineau for people with excessive lines.Im completely unbiast and thats just how i am!:)

fair comment, i can see what you mean. But still for me, i believe in just one skincare line. I hope you find a new line that suits you and your salon, i've heard decleor are amazing!!:)

Thats all very nice but if you want to retail successfully you cant be like that.Perhaps you need to toughen up a bit on the selling side otherwise you will find your shelves full of unsold stock.

I would be inclined to choose Academie as you already have a large range (well as far as i know elemis is a big range, correct me if im wrong :) ) and Decleor is also a huge range unless you are in a Spa or Salon with say 6+ rooms I don't see how you could make it work financially JMO

The last spa I worked in stocked Clarins & Decleor & they ended up getting rid of Clarins as the number of people booking Decleor treatments far outweighed those wanting Clarins.

Lots of Salons & Spas have two ranges now and I think its a good thing as it gives customers a choice. For example I love aromatherapy ranges & Decleor is one of my personal faves but i appreciate lots of people probably don't like it & prefer a less fragrant range like Nimue, Dermalogica. One day in the future I hope to do the same as you but I would limit it to one big range then a smaller one to compliment it, hths !

Hello
Sorry but i havent used either so cant really answer but I use Jean D'Arcel and they have loads of different ranges I find them fantastic - perfect for everyone. This way you still have the same skincare company but because of the no. of ranges all your clients skincare needs and wants are all cared for.
HTH

Thanks for all your comments.
As i have a large salon,i can accomodate either range,but thanks for all the advice!:confused:

Latest posts

Back