Total newbie needs advice! What to have in my kit?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClaireUK

Reaction score
Hi All! :)

So pleased to have found you all! And i really hope someone can help me!!:oops:

I love nails and polish and since i love them, i took a basic course in gel/shellac manicure & massage course and passed, and now im about to start the next part - the gel/acrylics extensions.

However, i seem to be meeting myself coming backwards!! When i start to look to find out, i get bombarded with different terms, brands and things that seem similar, things that could be the same, but i'm not sure....:confused:

What seems like second nature to you guys, is something i need to learn!

I need to know what i'm gonna need in my kit!! Can anyone help me out with this? Is there ANYWHERE online that has a basic "this-is-what-you-need" list? :( Or is there a kind person who can help me out with this, and i'm talking from start to finish off the extensions? TBH, i'm concentrating on gel extensions so if that helps shorter the list...!

I hope someone can help out a really enthusiastic but in need of help, newbie, id be very grateful!!
Thanks!!:rolleyes::)

Hi Claire, I'm a newbie myself, so I feel your pain! There are so many products, tools and colours out there, that it's easy to get overwhelmed. I'd say that the start point has to be the things that you know you'll need, such as sterilisers and the tools that you use on your course. After that, I found that the key point for products is to go for professional only ranges. That way, you don't have the fear that your clients will be able to buy it for themselves. One other point - is your tutor or educator on your course approachable? Perhaps ask them for a start? I also found my local Salon Services branch were really helpful too. Good luck!

hi im a newbie to so i might not be much help but ill try! have you done enhancement training yet? i have done 2 l&p courses and the first course i did we were given a 'shopping' list of what we needed and ive just done cnd l&p course and we were given a kit! another thing to bear in mind is all brands work differently so kits will be different! once you choose your brand it should get easier! hope this helps good luck xx

Hi Claire, I'm a newbie myself, so I feel your pain! There are so many products, tools and colours out there, that it's easy to get overwhelmed. I'd say that the start point has to be the things that you know you'll need, such as sterilisers and the tools that you use on your course. After that, I found that the key point for products is to go for professional only ranges. That way, you don't have the fear that your clients will be able to buy it for themselves. One other point - is your tutor or educator on your course approachable? Perhaps ask them for a start? I also found my local Salon Services branch were really helpful too. Good luck!

Hi fellow newbie!!:D I think youve hit the nail on the head. Ive tried to run before i can walk!!
Good luck to you too!!;)

hi im a newbie to so i might not be much help but ill try! have you done enhancement training yet? i have done 2 l&p courses and the first course i did we were given a 'shopping' list of what we needed and ive just done cnd l&p course and we were given a kit! another thing to bear in mind is all brands work differently so kits will be different! once you choose your brand it should get easier! hope this helps good luck xx

Hi!
I have to say, its nice not to be the only newbie!!! :p
Ive not heard of enhancement training! That sounds exactly what i need....or the "shopping list" part of it anyway!! Ill have a look into it today,
Thank you for your help! :D And good luck to you too! :cool:

Hi!
I have to say, its nice not to be the only newbie!!! :p
Ive not heard of enhancement training! That sounds exactly what i need....or the "shopping list" part of it anyway!! Ill have a look into it today,
Thank you for your help! :D And good luck to you too! :cool:
Def look into it you'll def need to train in what ever you choose (gel or acrylic.) training with the brand you choose is highly recommended because as I said before all brands are different and you'll learn how best to use the brand.
I like finding newbies to!:D xx

Hi all - I'm a newbie too :) qualified shellac is July and l&p in August all through CND !

I've been actively doing clients since September and it's going ok :) bit quiet last week but hoping Xmas will start to kick in soon :)

The best advice I can offer as newbies is - try not to rush out and buy everything straight away. As we've only just learnt this new skill the temptation to add glitter and gems and all the pretty sparkly things is too much but remember we need to perfect our application first so try to buy what you need and then add to it as your confidence grows :)

For my shellac - I started out with;

Lamp
Base coat
Top coat
Ipa
Scrub fresh (dehydrator)
Cuticle away (cuticle remover)
Cool blue (sanitiser)
Mundo file spray
Lint free cotton/pads
Cuticle pusher
Curette
Clippers
Files (240)
10 colours (including a red, pink, plum, black and French).

My kit came with the course for shellac and l&p and it generally covers all the basics :)

Do t make the same mistake as me (if your mobile) and buy a bag, it will break your back - you're better off with a trolley :)

If you have glitter, remember to have a seperate too coat for it as it gets in the brush.
Lecente foils are a good place to start in regards to sparkles - they are super easy and mess free :)

I can't think of anything else right now but hopefully that'll help - I remember how stuck I was in the beginning too. Good luck xxxx

Have you thought of a waterless manicure & pedicure treatment, I switched to Balbcare and has saved me time, money and provided great mark up. check out there website if you are a newbie and looking for new ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you thought of a waterless manicure & pedicure treatment, I switched to Balbcare and has saved me time, money and provided great mark up. check out there website if you are a newbie and looking for new ideas.

I'm considering the pedi one as I'm mobile but will still offer full spa mani as that's not as much kit.
How do you find people react to the waterless pedi?!

The main benefit for my customers was that it saved time in performing the pedicure without the hassle of using the bowls and the water. Because of this feature it was 100% more hygienic with an anti germ system to prevent the risk of contamination, at each time using a new kit which was a great selling point and customers seen that as amazing.

The main benefit for my customers was that it saved time in performing the pedicure without the hassle of using the bowls and the water. Because of this feature it was 100% more hygienic with an anti germ system to prevent the risk of contamination, at each time using a new kit which was a great selling point and customers seen that as amazing.

Why are all your posts recommending this kit and posting the website address?
I'm sorry, but you sound like a salesperson and not a genuine recommendation.

I was under the impression that I could share my experience with the product and the things I have overcome. I have gone from using a standard mani & pedi to using this product.

Regardless of how it may sound I am helping you solve many issues with Nail and skin I have had a bit of free time to talk about how well the product has done for me and I am a genuine customer of the product.

Nope, I'm not buying it. (!)
Genuine geeks post about their experiences with other products and offer candid thoughts on a variety of topics but every one of your posts is purely promotional.

I have posted in other threads on totally different topics, I appreciate your opinion each to there own but I am not there to copy or be the same. I would like to talk about new experiences and other things that can benefit our industry. There is no point talking about the same issues where there are other threads for this. Change is always good and using new tools can be a benefit.

Hi All! :)

So pleased to have found you all! And i really hope someone can help me!!:oops:

I love nails and polish and since i love them, i took a basic course in gel/shellac manicure & massage course and passed, and now im about to start the next part - the gel/acrylics extensions.

However, i seem to be meeting myself coming backwards!! When i start to look to find out, i get bombarded with different terms, brands and things that seem similar, things that could be the same, but i'm not sure....:confused:

What seems like second nature to you guys, is something i need to learn!

I need to know what i'm gonna need in my kit!! Can anyone help me out with this? Is there ANYWHERE online that has a basic "this-is-what-you-need" list? :( Or is there a kind person who can help me out with this, and i'm talking from start to finish off the extensions? TBH, i'm concentrating on gel extensions so if that helps shorter the list...!

I hope someone can help out a really enthusiastic but in need of help, newbie, id be very grateful!!
Thanks!!:rolleyes::)

Hi Claire

Welcome to the wonderful world of nails,

I would say the most important thing to do when you are starting out is to choose a brand that offers everything you need for yourself and for what you want to offer your clients.

Personally would recommend CALGEL, it is a soak off gel system that gives you the ability to offer natural colour overlays, infills, tips and sculptures all with just 1 clear gel and over 100 colours. It is durable and long lasting whilst being kind to the natural nail.

CALGEL offer full training in all applications and you will also receive a full kit with everything you will need to get started.
There is also great on going support so you can feel confident in what your are offering.

If you want to find out more call the head office on 01582 798920 and take a look on their website.

Good luck in your new venture

Katie

Thought I would share today's learning experience with other mobile techs.
I was at a clients house for a double mother and daughter appointment.
And my CND led lamp died on me. It was before I started applying shellac, and the mum had Vinylux instead but she has quite ridged nails so the coverage wasn't great. But the daughter is going on holiday in two days and said she wanted shellac so she was very disappointed. I was so mortified I gave the mum a good discount for the inconvenience. So I barely covered petrol. I will take a spare lamp just in case in future.
I know how tricky it is getting the amount of kit sorted, but I really suggest you take a backup lamp, even if it stays in the car for emergencies. I know if you are just starting out it is extra expense but today was very frustrating.
I am not a happy bunny.

Thought I would share today's learning experience with other mobile techs.
I was at a clients house for a double mother and daughter appointment.
And my CND led lamp died on me. It was before I started applying shellac, and the mum had Vinylux instead but she has quite ridged nails so the coverage wasn't great. But the daughter is going on holiday in two days and said she wanted shellac so she was very disappointed. I was so mortified I gave the mum a good discount for the inconvenience. So I barely covered petrol. I will take a spare lamp just in case in future.
I know how tricky it is getting the amount of kit sorted, but I really suggest you take a backup lamp, even if it stays in the car for emergencies. I know if you are just starting out it is extra expense but today was very frustrating.
I am not a happy bunny.
I totally feel for you.

I had one cnd uv lap for years and eventually bought another after reading about exactly what happened to you. I now have 2 cnd uv, one cnd led and a gel ll led.

Can't have too many lamps lol x

I totally feel for you.

I had one cnd uv lap for years and eventually bought another after reading about exactly what happened to you. I now have 2 cnd uv, one cnd led and a gel ll led.

Can't have too many lamps lol x

Thank you. I agree. I have quite a few thank goodness.
I think I am having a bad lamp week. Last Sunday my Daylight Company desk lamp broke. It was under warranty and was replaced within days, thankfully. And today I got my other led lamp out (which I use with IBD Just Gel) which I need for my IBX training next Saturday, and I have lost the power converter/adapted.......aggghhhh.

I am mobile so already have lots to carry but I always have spare bulbs and fuses in the car just in case

Latest posts

Back