Total newbie needs advice! What to have in my kit?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know how it feels. I have been in the bussines for almost a year now, however, sometimes I still feel as if I don't know a thing. One thing that has come in handy for me is my university education in chemistry and biology, it really helps a lot. Because they don't teach these things in nail ed centers.
I will focuse on gels here.
First of all, have critical mind and way of thinking. Everyone is trying to sell their stuff as the greatest thing ever. That's why I always search and read reviews on products I'm interested in, before I buy them. Always keep in mind - what works great for someone else, may not work at all for you, and vice-versa.
Secondly, talk to everyone you can get your hands on, who has knowledge about nails - I've spent a lot of time in different nail supplie shops just chit-chating with shop assistants, who mostly are nail techs as well. Get their opinion on products, etc. If you show genuine interest in buying products from them, they will most likley tell you the truth.
Thridy, watch all the tutorials, read every article, etc. about nails. And use your critical thinking - if something dosn't seem right - it propobly isn't. Even if you think you already know everything that they tell you, reminding has never come in harm, pluss, often somewhere along the lines they mention some small, yet crucial tips, like, how you should or shouldn't hold file to achieve particular look, etc.
And lastly, there are things you can buy from Ebay, AliExpress, etc. - like nail art glitters, stickers, forms, etc. And there are things you should not buy from there, unless it's trusted seller - gels, primers/bonders, cuticle removers, topcoats - pretty much anything that has chemical reaction based nature and comes in dirrect contact with clients skin or nails, or may affect the result of your work.

The list Helvard87 provided is pretty good. However, you have to try things out to see if they work for you, and if they don't - try something else. There are tons of cuticle removers, files, etc. in market as well as several variations for sanitazation.
For example, this is how I sanitaze my tools:
1. Good wash with soap and watter.
2. 15min soak in 70% isopropyl alcohol. I buy 99,9% Isopropyl aclohol at local chemicals wholesales and mix it with water my self (u can also use isopropyl alcohol to remove inhibition layer) to achieve ~70% concentration, which is most effective concentration for sanitizing purposes.
3. Wash my tools with tap water.
4. Spray my tools with 0,3% Polyhexanide solution, leave them for 5 mins.
5. Wipe everything with paper towel.
I have people say I over-do it, however, I think - better do it this way, than have someone infected with God knows what.

You will want
Sanitizer, Files of all grits, acetone or polish remover, uv or led lamp, manicure brushes, cuticle pusher, also things that you think you would need as well.

Latest posts

Back