Touche Eclat???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanna Dance

Reaction score
Morning skin geeks - Could any of you tell me what YSL Touche Eclat does - is it a concealer - does it have colour in it and is there another product which does the same job.

Sorry to be a wimp but I've never really worn make-up and having caught sight of myself in a fairly unflattering light recently, have started :cry: so I'm a bit of a make-up virgin.

Can anyone help.

Michelle

Morning skin geeks - Could any of you tell me what YSL Touche Eclat does - is it a concealer - does it have colour in it and is there another product which does the same job.

Sorry to be a wimp but I've never really worn make-up and having caught sight of myself in a fairly unflattering light recently, have started :cry: so I'm a bit of a make-up virgin.

Can anyone help.

Michelle

It is a concealer and it comes in two different shades I think. It is for adding a touch of light or banishing shadows and signs of fatigue from the eye area, the hollow of the chin, the contour of the lips and the sides of the nose.

Yes it is concealer and it is light. I think there are better products out there than this one and don't know what all the fuss is about with it. But that might just be me as everyones skin is different. Interested to see what others will say.

It's the price that's putting me off buying it - I don't want to make an expensive mistake. And if there's something out there that does the same job for less I'd be more inclined to buyt it.

M

Touche Eclat comes in three shades. Never use number one, it is very pink and looks and feels chalky when applied. Number two is fine for even very light skins.

It is a highlighting concealer, so shouldn't be used for blemishes or anything you want to keep hidden.

Use it to highlight female contouring; under the brow, under the eye (but not directly onto the bags that are immediately below the lash line, apply Touche under these bags), from the nostrils down to the corners of the mouth, underneath each side of the bottom lip, the cupids bow. Obviously, if you use a different highlighting product in any of these areas apply them instead of Touche, not as well as.

Pout do a highlighting concelaer which is much more pleasing and creamy in texture, it is more sheer than Touch Eclat, so does not give as much satisfying coverage. In professional hands (and with not much flash photog, and used and blended well with other concealers) Touche Eclat can be made to look stunning.

hth :green:

The thing to bear in mind with YSL Touche Eclat, is it is a light reflecting concealer, not a masking concealer, and therefore is great for things like dark circles under your eyes, as it just reflects the light away from them, but will not work for concealing spots and dark blemishes. A light reflecting concealer will also need to be used on top of any base or finishing powder whereas some masking concealers work better under at least the powder.

IMO, its best to have a concealer of each type for the differnt uses...I like Touche Eclat, but yes there are equally as good products (if not better) at lower prices....Revlon actually do a very good over the counter one at about £7 or £8, and Virgin Vie 'Out of the Shodows' is also very similar. That way you can also afford a good 'cover-up' concealer for those areas that need a little more 'masking'.

As an aside, with either type, spend some real good time learning how to blend them, as they all work far better if they are well blended into the skin.

Edited to add: Amy beat me to it!

it is a concealer.. but instead of using colour to 'cover' the imperfections.. it makes the most of light to reflect on it therefore making the imperfections less noticable..

brilliant for dark circles under eyes... ive been using it since i was 17.. which is about 15 years ago... they were the first to create a concealer like such and since then other companies has come out with their own.. i have tired others but in my experience nothing matches up to the YSL...

my mother has been good to me and blessed me with very good skin.. so this light formula suits me just fine.. it is very light though.. so if you have more to cover up then maybe this concealet isnt ideal for you...

just my humble opinion... hope this helps.. :hug:

Thanks everyone - a least now I have a bit more info to work with. Can't believe I've gotten to 42 and the contents of my make up bag consist of a brown/black mascara (i've been told I should be waearing black), a brown eye liner (again it should be black) and a brown/cream eye shadow duo - I went and had my make up done for going out last sat night by a virgin vie girl who was absolutely appalled (lol) at how little was in my bag.

Thanks again girls

Michelle

Thanks everyone - a least now I have a bit more info to work with. Can't believe I've gotten to 42 and the contents of my make up bag consist of a brown/black mascara (i've been told I should be waearing black), a brown eye liner (again it should be black) and a brown/cream eye shadow duo - I went and had my make up done for going out last sat night by a virgin vie girl who was absolutely appalled (lol) at how little was in my bag.

Thanks again girls

Michelle

Why have you been told to wear black liner and mascara? What's your colouring like?

Why have you been told to wear black liner and mascara? What's your colouring like?

Amy, I've a srong suspicion that this was the Virgin Vie girl....its their standard training....everyone looks better in black! :rolleyes: Black mascara outsells the brown/black 10 to 1, and they don't do any other shades. Same with liner.

When I did VV (long time ago!) my manager nearly had a hissy fit when I refused to wear their mascara as they didn't do a navy one - I love dark navy as I have very blue eyes and it makes the whites stand out even further.

Hi - My hair is dark brown naturally with a deep reddish brown colur in it, my eyes are hazel and my skin is quite swarthy.

Lindsay - you're right it was the VV girl who said I shouldn't be wearing brown mascara or eye liner - she said it makes my eye disappear!:rolleyes:

Michelle

Amy, I've a srong suspicion that this was the Virgin Vie girl....its their standard training....everyone looks better in black! :rolleyes: Black mascara outsells the brown/black 10 to 1, and they don't do any other shades. Same with liner.

When I did VV (long time ago!) my manager nearly had a hissy fit when I refused to wear their mascara as they didn't do a navy one - I love dark navy as I have very blue eyes and it makes the whites stand out even further.

Aha, thanks for that info hun! I can get away with black mascara most of the time, and black liner if I really smoke my eyes up, but the rest of the time I'm a brown liner girl. Brown liner is amazing with blue eyes :green:

If you want to make your eyes vivid and make them stand out, there is a million subtler ways to do it than by bunging on black liner and black mascara. Make colour work for you; I've been lucky enough to be trained by Phyllis Cohen and she has many a good article regards colour on her site - Phyllis Cohen | Face Fanatic . She works on the principle that when the human eye sees a certain colour, it immediately looks for the 'opposite' (in terms of the colour wheel....think there is one on this site actually) neutralizing colour. So when the eye sees orange it looks for blue, when it sees purple it looks for yellow etc. You don't have to be quite so blatant with makeup, as when the eye sees two colours it will adjust their relationship to make them seem opposite to each other. That's why blue eyes look amazing next to rich browns (not quite orange) and green eyes look fab next to dull red-violets (not quite postbox red) and brown eyes stand out next to bruised blue-violets (not quite pacific blue).

I look a bugger with black liner generally, it is too harsh!

Hi - My hair is dark brown naturally with a deep reddish brown colur in it, my eyes are hazel and my skin is quite swarthy.

Lindsay - you're right it was the VV girl who said I shouldn't be wearing brown mascara or eye liner - she said it makes my eye disappear!:rolleyes:

Michelle

Jeez louise! I wouldn't use black liner on you. Not to say you can't use it ever, but don't be put off brown because it sounds like you're a brown sorta girl! Perhaps black for the evening, beautifully blended in in shadow liner, but not all day every day. I'd have to see you to make a proper judgement I think!

What colour do you go in the sun? Would you describe your complexion as sallow? What colour are your eyes?

Have you thought about a makeup lesson with a professional makeup artist? They are totally impartial, will have loads of different brands in their kits, and won't try to sell you anything.

Jeez louise! I wouldn't use black liner on you. Not to say you can't use it ever, but don't be put off brown because it sounds like you're a brown sorta girl! Perhaps black for the evening, beautifully blended in in shadow liner, but not all day every day. I'd have to see you to make a proper judgement I think!

What colour do you go in the sun? Would you describe your complexion as sallow? What colour are your eyes?

Have you thought about a makeup lesson with a professional makeup artist? They are totally impartial, will have loads of different brands in their kits, and won't try to sell you anything.

Hi Amy - In the sun I would burn quite easily but if I use a good SPF I'll tan well. Without any makeup I can look a bit pasty my eyes are green/brown.

I wasn't aware that I could go to a professional make up artist - probably aren't that many around in Northern Ireland lol

M

Hi Amy - In the sun I would burn quite easily but if I use a good SPF I'll tan well. Without any makeup I can look a bit pasty my eyes are green/brown.

I wasn't aware that I could go to a professional make up artist - probably aren't that many around in Northern Ireland lol

M

It is now my mission to try and find you one :green:

It is now my mission to try and find you one :green:

:) You're a star - I'll see if I can put a piccie on later to let you see what I look like.

M
:hug:

I've just bought this product for the first time and I am very impressed with the results so far, so i'd recommend it for getting rid of those dark circles.

Latest posts

Back