Touching clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparklySnow

Reaction score
Can I ask a really silly, silly question please? Feel free to completely slate me if I'm just being really silly. I feel silly to be honest!

I am a brand new student studying level 2 beauty. We have only had 2 weeks in college. We have had a go at eye treatments, and started facials.

Yesterday, when I was practising my facial routine on a fellow student (it's the first time we did it) I kind of felt a bit uncomfortable being so close to someone else body, like so in their face haha! I have no idea why, and it took me by surprise because obviously I knew that being a beauty therapist does involve being up close and personal! 😃

So, my question is... Is this an indication that this is obviously the wrong career for me, or is this a quite normal feeling that most students get when they are starting out, but goes away with experience and practice?

Please forgive me for being ridiculous, I feel a bit silly even asking you guys. It just kind of shook my confidence when I felt awkward and felt a bit shy 😔😔

Last edited:
I remember feeling like this, thankfully you'll soon get over it.
I don't even think anything of it anymore. X

Its not a silly question,if you dont know than ask, when i first started in this industry i was so nervous, and like you felt uncomfortable, this goes after a short while i promise, keep going you will love it

Sent from my HTC Desire 300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think this is totally normal. As time progresses you will find confidence in the way you deal with people and their bodies.

I used to be appalled at dealing with people's bodies but as your confidence grows you will find ways to make them comfortable as they are the ones getting undressed.

Please don't feel embarrassed to ask questions on here. There are many geeks from many different backgrounds with massively different feelings and experiences, and the point is to share!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've often felt out of my comfort zone when training in a new treatment and it can feel quite awkward. The more you practice the more comfortable you'll feel. Enjoy training!

Oh thanks you guys!! I SO appreciate your answers. I honestly expected to be totally slated and told that I obviously need to stop beauty and find myself another career.

It's made me feel a lot happier knowing experienced therapists felt a bit that way too when they started out. I thought it was just me!! 😃

I think it's the same for most people, we're not use to being so close and prodding strangers in places haha!

Honestly, you will get so used to it it will become second nature. I was really bad at first, I was convinced I was hurting the client lol

You get used to it,but the truth is sometimes it is horrible you will come across some really horrible things.The thing I hate the most is when I do a massage and someone is peeling from sunburn and the skin mixes in with the oil :| it forms big bogies.
Its not a job for the faint hearted.

You get used to it,but the truth is sometimes it is horrible you will come across some really horrible things.The thing I hate the most is when I do a massage and someone is peeling from sunburn and the skin mixes in with the oil :| it forms big bogies.
Its not a job for the faint hearted.

That made me laugh out loud - I've had the big bogie moments :lol:

That made me laugh out loud - I've had the big bogie moments :lol:

Its the truth isn't it!.Its the only way to describe it and it gets under your fingernails,just horrible I've had it all summer because of this good weather lol.

Hi, we were talking about this in class on Tuesday, I'm also doing level 2 beauty.

The first week I felt horrified in facials class being close enough to someone for them to be aware I was breathing on them. However we were doing bikini waxing today and its starting to feel normal getting far too close to people. Some of us (me!) still get a bit weird about touching body parts but it definitely easier.

I think if it doesn't feel odd to start with there's some thing wrong with you lol!

I think its normal we were doing massages today my therapist touched my boob by accident and I elbowed her in the head :D rather on each other than client's ha x

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Definitely. I remember when I first did a hand massage on a man during training. It felt so intimate and uncomfortable. 8 years later and I now do Brazilians and Hollywood's without a moment of embarrassment! Its just taking little steps.

As for the bogey thing, that explains it just how it is:eek:. Oh the glamour, but I still love it most days.

I'm glad I read this post, I actually left my course a couple of years ago because of this reason.
I had started Nvq level 2 Beauty therapy and sat in one of my classes during my first week and thought I can't touch peoples bodies and felt really weird about it and thought oh it must be me and not the right career for me so I left the course.
I have no problem with feet or anything like that it was just a panic mode of thinking god in going to be so close to peoples bodies and I kind of bolted :(

Maybe I would of been ok after a couple of weeks

So this year I got a place for Hairdressing but due to me having surgery hopefully within the next couple of months, I've had to put it off for this year as I would of needed up to 6 months off

I guess it's just a natural feeling that a lot of people get because to start off with it's out of our comfort zone

Please don't give up like I did, give it a few weeks and I'm sure all the girls are secretly feeling exactly the same as you at the moment :)

I was like that when I first did waxing at college it felt wrong waxing there private and I couldn't stop shaking lol I am abit better now

I felt the same starting out, but by the time you're done with practicing on fellow students and doing case studies nothing will faze you!!
Best wishes for the rest of your course x

Not sure if this will help or not but................. our facial class at college was south facing and we had facial class on a Monday morning. Now I've always preferred a Sunday night out so was always like a half shut knife on a Monday morning and I used to end up bending lower and lower when doing my facials until my (rather large) breasts were resting on my pals forehead during the massage. Now during practise this was fine, as I said I was working on my pal and she said she found the weight quite comforting (she is a wee bit weird though.) but when we started training on the public.......................... :eek:

Wow thank you guys! I really appreciate all the replies. It seems like most people have felt similar when starting out. I will definatly carry on with the course and just keep practising and enjoy it 😃

I'm glad I read this post, I actually left my course a couple of years ago because of this reason.
I had started Nvq level 2 Beauty therapy and sat in one of my classes during my first week and thought I can't touch peoples bodies and felt really weird about it and thought oh it must be me and not the right career for me so I left the course.
I have no problem with feet or anything like that it was just a panic mode of thinking god in going to be so close to peoples bodies and I kind of bolted :(

Maybe I would of been ok after a couple of weeks

So this year I got a place for Hairdressing but due to me having surgery hopefully within the next couple of months, I've had to put it off for this year as I would of needed up to 6 months off

I guess it's just a natural feeling that a lot of people get because to start off with it's out of our comfort zone

Please don't give up like I did, give it a few weeks and I'm sure all the girls are secretly feeling exactly the same as you at the moment :)

Thank you so much for your reply. That was exactly how I felt, just sat there thinking oh no this is obviously the wrong career for me cos I feel so wierd about it, even though, like you said, it's not like we have a problem with feet or anything! I hope your surgery goes ok hun, and that you get to do your course next year. Will you go for beauty or hair? Hope everything goes ok hun xx

Hi, thank you, fingers crossed all will go well with the surgery and I should have no more problems with my arm.

I'm unsure yet which I am going to apply for, my husband and family think I'm more suited to beauty, so I have some thinking to do over the next few weeks before the application system has reopened on the college website.

Hope all goes well with your course :) x

Latest posts

Back