TPTD. Part time, service, commitment ... Can these three words be used together?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
PART-TIME

SERVICE

COMMITMENT (to customers and building a business)

... Can these three words be used together?

Care to discuss this? I'm not asking anyone to justify why they themselves only choose to work part time. I'm not asking anyone to take offence or to call me judgemental or rude or harsh or any of the other usual epithets. Simply the question.

... Can these three things be used together and have any real meaning?

yes defiantly, i work three jobs and am committed to them all naildelights is run part time has been the whole six years we have been running, our service in our opinion is the best we could offer and we are always commended on it and our commitment is second to none.
Just because i don't work on it full time means nothing.

I think they can.

As long as you are giving 100% service and commitment to your clients.... 100% of the time.

I would imagine though, that most people working part time are thinking about something to do with their passion on a full time basis, whether it be training, research or something like that.

Yes I do feel that you can give excellent customer service and be part time.
Just because you are full time doesn't automatically mean your business or service is better. Service should be excellent wether you work 1 hour or 100 hours a week.
Vicki x

In my opinion One cannot be truly committed to anything on a part time basis. The two things are the opposite of each other.

You cannot give a Service part time. Part-time service is NOT service. The two things are the opposite of each other.

In my opinion One cannot be truly committed to anything on a part time basis. The two things are the opposite of each other.

You cannot give a Service part time. Part-time service is NOT service. The two things are the opposite of each other.

Woah I can't agree here Geeg, I think as long as the clients understand the hours a technician offers, and the technician is flexible and accommodating, part time service is every bit service, and I'm really quite surprised that you think it's not. Everyone has to have a work life balance and offer what they are capable of. I would far rather visit a part time fantastic happy service provider than an full time one unhappy with their work like balance doing a half job!
Each to their own opinion though, and Happy Christmas all x

yes absolutely! The hours of operation are not the be all and end all to a business. Commitment to being the best you can, passion for the industry, being properly educated, striving to grow and become better, and offering as much customer care as you can will outweigh any timing issues. If clients like your work and want to see you for their treatment, they will book in when you're open.

Even for full timers not all clients can get booked in at a time that suits. They could be working an odd shift themselves, or the therapist/tech/stylist may already be booked at times that suit another client. If you are good, clients will learn to book in advance, regardless of full or part time.

Sorry to run the Gauntlet here but I actually agree with Geeg on this one. In todays society people expect everything 24/7/365 and only being available to offer customer service part time ( no matter how fully committed you are during your working hours) does show ( to the client) that you may be a " part timer" or at worst a " pin money tech"

I know it is not fair but that is the way of the world. If you bought a camera and had problems setting it up over Christmas you would want a Customer support option to fix the problem there and then wouldn't you? I know I would

Clients choose us for a variety of reasons but the one thing they all require and expect is for us to be there when they need us. Monday to Saturday, sometimes Sundays too from 9 to 5 or for us to be prepared to do them a favor and squeeze them in before, after or during our working day.

Obviously many of us started out part time and some still are but the part timers will never get the Lions share of the available business out there and will probably lose clients due to being unavailable when other techs are.

why do you feel this way geeg? What in your opinion makes a part time service lesser?

How good a service and how committed you are depending on a lot of other factors such as you dedication, other responsibilies such as family and your generally attitude and aspirations.

Sorry to run the Gauntlet here but I actually agree with Geeg on this one. In todays society people expect everything 24/7/365 and only being available to offer customer service part time ( no matter how fully committed you are during your working hours) does show ( to the client) that you may be a " part timer" or at worst a " pin money tech"

I know it is not fair but that is the way of the world. If you bought a camera and had problems setting it up over Christmas you would want a Customer support option to fix the problem there and then wouldn't you? I know I would

Clients choose us for a variety of reasons but the one thing they all require and expect is for us to be there when they need us. Monday to Saturday, sometimes Sundays too from 9 to 5 or for us to be prepared to do them a favor and squeeze them in before, after or during our working day.

Obviously many of us started out part time and some still are but the part timers will never get the Lions share of the available business out there and will probably lose clients due to being unavailable when other techs are.

I totally understand your's and Geeg's point of view. But I land somewhere in the middle. I think you can definitely be commited and show great service on a part time level. My set hours are part time....BUT.....if a client had an issue or a special request I would do my best to move my schedule around to accomodate them....just as any full timer would. It's just my normal working day is 6 hours, not 8.

I completely disagree.

I think someone who does something part time can be just as committed if not more so than someone who is full time. For example I'm working full time while I set up and doing beauty part time. If I wasn't committed I certainly wouldn't be busting my butt 70+ hours a week to make ends meet. I'd take the easy way and drop the beauty side and all the extra expenses that go along with it.

I actually find what you have said very offensive.

Clients don't need you for 8+hours a day every day though. As long as you are prepared to accomodate/ be flexible with appointment times to fit them in at their convenience then you are saying this is what they want. In many cases part timers who often work evenings and weekends as standard are more able to fit into your ideal of what you say clients want than full timers who work set hours which mostly coincide with peoples working day.
You can also only see one person at time so unless you only have one client you can never be wide open 24/7!

The question here is not part-timers vs full-timers but more whether you are willing to work additional (overtime?!) hours to fit in clients?

Ooo this is a nice juicy one loving the different views and even though I've commented already I need to say more :)

What would you say was the better customer service scenario.

Miss A. Only can work 15 hours a week due to health, family, working 3 other jobs you decide. However she will work until midnight or start at 6pm if a customer needs that and will make sure that the service is unforgettable.

Miss B is full time say 40 hours. Gets a call asking can you fit me in at 8am or 6:30 pm as this client works full time too. Miss B says sorry my hours are 9 -5 can't do that.

Who's the most committed ??

It's not just a black and white situation. Too many variables the biggest being human nature.

It's so nice have a good debate though :)

Vicki x

yes defiantly, i work three jobs and am committed to them all naildelights is run part time has been the whole six years we have been running, our service in our opinion is the best we could offer and we are always commended on it and our commitment is second to none.
Just because i don't work on it full time means nothing.

I'm always 'delighted' with your service and value. So thank you!:hug:

I completely disagree.

I think someone who does something part time can be just as committed if not more so than someone who is full time. For example I'm working full time while I set up and doing beauty part time. If I wasn't committed I certainly wouldn't be busting my butt 70+ hours a week to make ends meet. I'd take the easy way and drop the beauty side and all the extra expenses that go along with it.

I actually find what you have said very offensive.

I don't believe the question is about your commitment but your FOCUS or lack of, on your business. Just look back over the years and you will see part time employees in companies have always been the underdog, do you know why ???????

Part time meant that the employee was just turning up for their pay and couldn't care less about the company, unlike full time committed executives or employess, and the full timers also give up evenings and weekends for work so part timers certainly do not deserve the medal for going above and beyond.

I used to work 35 hrs a week in my previous career but still hardly ever got home before 9pm and spent most weekends working too.The difference was I adored my job and would have done it for free if I had to because it was all I wanted to do. once I got married, my focus changed and I lost the commitment. Now I work part time and stick to my hours. Clients are happy but I can not have the " high maintenance " clients because I cant offer the commitment they expect ( availabilitly)

I am not attacking anyone, but PART TIME means that you have something more important taking up the rest of your time, be it family, 5 other jobs or a serious health problem. Unless you can fully focus and give your all, all of the working day and week you have something else keeping you from being that 100% 35 or 40 hour a week professional.

I can not understand how people can be offended by someone stating a fact.

Great thread.

Yes, you can have all three. Even though you may work part-time, you are giving your 110% the whole time you are there so I feel it can be done. :)

I think they can.

As long as you are giving 100% service and commitment to your clients.... 100% of the time.

I would imagine though, that most people working part time are thinking about something to do with their passion on a full time basis, whether it be training, research or something like that.

Giving 100% part time is still part time. Please don't get me wrong, I do nails
part time. I have lost clients because of my availability. I have a full time career in another field. Part time works for me but it does not work for all clients. I must accept that. I'm not trying to build an empire but if I was I know I would have to dedicate all my effort to be successful. So, I agree with Geeg. I'm realistic and take no offense.

There are very few people who work full time show that level of commitment in my opinion ( referring to post that says she worked till 9 and weekends, many full timers do their full time hours and nothing more however many part timers will bend over backwards and go above and beyond their agreed hours to accommodate .

Service at the end of the day is in the eye of the customer and mine are more than happy with the part time service I offer Monday to Thursday 9am till 9pm. The rest of the time I do have something more important to do, that would be live a life!

No you can't be totally committed because of course if you work part time you will generally have other commitments but you can still provide a good service.
I am someone who has always said women really can't have it all.This notion that we can work full time totallycomimitted and then also be perfect mothers and wives is an impossible task.Something always has to give.

Part time meant that the employee was just turning up for their pay and couldn't care less about the company, unlike full time committed executives or employess, and the full timers also give up evenings and weekends for work so part timers certainly do not deserve the medal for going above and beyond.

I can not understand how people can be offended by someone stating a fact.

But it is not a fact. What you are talking about is something more than 'full-time'. It is above and beyond full time. Plenty of people who go to work 9-5pm and clock off on the dot and don't fully focus or strive to do there best.
Many part-time people work hours around family and love their job and work really hard. It's a massive generalisation to say part-timers don't care about the company not a fact at all. And would apply even less when we are talking about self-employed part time techs.

I agree that someone who gives 100% commitment to something 50% of their time will not match some that gives 100% commitment to something 100% of the time.

But what about someone who give 100% commitment to something 50% of the time vs someone who gives 50% commitment 100% of the time. it's the same amount, but I know which of these I would rather go to for a service!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back