TPTD. Part time, service, commitment ... Can these three words be used together?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that being part time gives the impression to some people that it's a hobby or your just after pin money. That's why I'd never say I was part time, I'd just say I didn't have appts available then, to give a better impression.

I also agree that you are part time because you have some other commitment that is more important, that is a fact-and some people will make judgments about that.

In the absolute high end of any industry, being part-time wont cut it. Anything less is going to be comfortable by comparison & not pushing yourself nearly as hard as a full-timer, with full commitment, who is flexible. Anyone who is at the top of their industry didn't get there by being part-time.

Reactions: Bo
agree absolutely. the cream of the crop will be full time and put there business above all else I'm sure. not what the original post asked though.

agree absolutely. the cream of the crop will be full time and put there business above all else I'm sure. not what the original post asked though.

Thanks for critiquing my comment :) I'm not sure what point you are making, though.

The original question asked ...care to discuss? So I did. I discussed levels of commitment relative to being part time or full time. I hinted at it depending on what level of business you might be aiming for, whether you want to aim for the top or not is another question, that might have been prompted by my comment, which in turn may broaden the discussion.

There are assumption made by lots of people about what a business should be doing, I was merely thinking along the lines of exploring these assumptions.

I think, as some one has already said, that this doesn't boil down to part or full time hours, I think it's more to do with flexibility. Most of my ladies book between 9-5, if I suddenly decided to switch to just evening appointments then yes I couldn't fulfill my commitment to them as I simply wouldn't be able to offer them a service that they require in the time they require it, however if from the outset I say this is what I can offer, this is my commitment to you and stick to it, then I don't see a problem with being part time. I think the beauty of this industry is there are many different technicians out there offering different hours and days, that it enables customers to be able to pick a service that suits them. Not many industries can boast this.

I don't believe for one minute that part timers are there to just do the job and get the pay check at the end, I think that's quite a presumption to make because whether you are part time or full time, this mentality still goes on.

Often many of us begin part time with the view to build a successful business to be able to work full time.

I personally offer Monday to Sunday appointments, with no set hours, but I do say that my last appointment is no later than 7:30pm. I began as mobile but recently added my home salon and mainly offer this now. One of the reasons I now work from home is because I was turning work down, something I didn't want to do but had no choice because I car share with my husband. I didn't have enough work to warrant the cost of a second car being bought at that time and my husbands shift patterns were so dramatically changed that it had an impact on my business meaning I had no choice (as he is the main earner) but to adapt my business. However, my home salon has meant that besides the school run in the morning and afternoon I can work at any time. Those clients that still need to be on a mobile basis understand my limitations and either choose to come to me or wait for the an appointment. They could go elsewhere but chose to remain with because I give a good service.

I think if you choose to work part time, I think you need to be honest with clients. These are the hours I work, the days I can do. I think it boils down to managing client expectations for availability. That said you could be full time, booked solid and not be able to fit someone in when they require.

I do think that part time, commitment and service can very much be applied to each other. Full time hours does not guarantee commitment or great service, the technician does that.

I think we all know that our businesses aren't just about the physical hours we perform treatments, so much goes on in the background. Advertising, accounts, research, training etc etc. So even when we regard ourselves as part time, often this is not the case.

I do believe that we all need to find a work life balance that suits us individually, it's not always easy to find that balance but it can be done. I also have a commitment to the family I have, which sometimes means that my family has to come first and that sometimes means in order to maintain my family life I have to miss out on family events in order to work. I'm in no way less committed to my family or my job, I'm trying to live my life the best way that I can and provide for the two men in my life :)

On a final note whether I chose to work part time or full time, I would have chosen exactly the same road when it comes to training and bought exactly the same products for my treatments. So looking at the service aspect of this debate I would offer exactly the same high level of service regardless of how many physical hours I work.

I do nails part-time and I am 100% commited to my customers. I choose not to do it full time as I have different expertise to offer in other areas. I always put the customer first and I have never had any moans or complaints from anyone. Nor have I lost a customer over it. Maybe some people just need to work full time so that they retain their focus on what they are doing, ie can't commit to something part time. I am not one of those, I just choose to do other things than eat, Sleep and Drink nails. There is more to life than work. Some people need to get out more!

Although certain individuals may choose to work part-time as opposed to full-time, that doesn't automatically make them any less conscientious does it?

I don't think so, and that's why I feel part-time, service and commitment do go together.

I think it depends on what one is trying to achieve. It could fall into 3 categories:
1. Working available hours to earn a reasonable income
2. Working available hours for now but with intentions to build up when circumstances low
3. Those that have a long term plan to build a business that will increase over time.

I believe it's possible to provide excellent customer service in all 3 scenarios provided clients know what to expect from the start and 100% commitment is given every working hour plus more in prep, planning and further training.

Those in the 3rd scenario will only achieve success if they live an breath their business and will go the extra 9yds every day! But this isn't for everyone. I believe there are some exceptional technicians out there doing a great job, part time, who are happy where they are.

Unfortunately, this industry encourages part timer 'hobbyists' but they rarely last long and wreak havoc along the way. This is a completely scenario :eek:

Although certain individuals may choose to work part-time as opposed to full-time, that doesn't automatically make them any less conscientious does it?

I don't think so, and that's why I feel part-time, service and commitment do go together.

Amen to that, sista!

I do nails part-time but am 110% committed to it when I am doing it. I use the best products, attend all the educational classes I can and give it my very best.

Unfortunately, the down side of the beauty business is, when a client cancels his/her appt., you do not get paid.

I've been divorced since my kids were very young and HAD to have a job that paid a salary. Even now, I cannot afford to do nails full-time for that very reason. Bills still need to be paid, the house needs to be maintained, etc.

For all part time and full time beauty geeks, let's support each other in our choices. One is not better than the other. :hug:

Last edited:
I think you can definitely have all three. I work part time as I have young children and a husband who works long hours and a lot of the time is working abroad. I give great customer service, my client retention is really good and I'll always endeavour to accommodate a clients needs. Just because I put my family first doesn't mean my service, quality of treatments or products are less than someone who works full time.

This whole thread has stemmed from one poor girl asking advice on another thread and Geeg telling her she was only doing it as a hobby as she wasn't prepared to start at 7am to make a awkward client happy.

I think there is too much goading going on here and I think to say one person is more commuted than another based on how they spread their hours between work/family and training is pretty disgusting.

I think the words in the op can be used together. Regardless of how many hours i work, for every hour that i do work i give commitment and service.

Just because someone "works" part time hours, doesn't mean they're sitting at home in front of the telly the rest of the time.

There's studying and adding treatments to your list,
Putting together business plans
Market research
Family life
Book keeping and accounts
Advertising and marketing.
Some of us don't have the luxury to work full time yet. And
Technically, it's not part time.

How will the client know if youre ft or pt? I know people who either say yes to an appointment request or that theyre fully booked then regardless of what else theyre doing.

Also whos to say that a ft therapist is more contactable and approachable than a pt therapist?

I think life is different now and people are doing what they have to do for their own personal reasons.

I am a Senior Staff Nurse 'part time' and to suggest that I am not fully committed to my job is laughable and so far removed from the truth it could be taken as insulting, if I was that way inclined.

This part time job has allowed me to finance a career that I left on the back burner years ago. Naturally, I am only available for four days a week to take my clients appointments.

I agree that I cannot always be available, but that is the only point I agree on. The rest is about you, your attitude, abilities and what you deliver. Being full time does not equal better in terms of having a professional attitude or delivering a high quality treatment for your client.

I think that as usual, this topic for Discussion is turning into some people defending their choice (actually what I asked folks please not to do) rather than discussing the meaning of commitment and service along with part time working hours.

Of course people can give good customer care and attention within their part time hours but is that the true meaning of the word commitment and is it rather true meaning of commitment. To me it is part time for both ... Which doesn't make anyone a bad person or a bad operator or less good at what they DO but it also does not go along with the meaning of the words commitment or service. As I said in a previous thread, inevitably some customers that can not be accommodated will be disappointed. Customers with unreasonable demands may always be disappointed no matter what, whether one is full or part time, but demanding clients are another discussion entirely.

I have not personally judged anyone, either in this thought provoking thread, or in another thread where very few actually got the point of what I actually said (despite saying quite clearly what I meant to say) nor did I judge anyone, but they chose rather to take my comments personally and not to see the other side of the argument. Easier to Attack attack attack a person for having a different and valid opinion? Hold on there!! Isn't there enough of this going on in the world? Right to free speech and all that? Putting words in people's mouths, name calling. Those people should be ashamed of themselves; to me, that is allot more disgusting behaviour than holding a different opinion.

There are plenty who did 'get it' (my points) and for that I thank you. Carry on.

Can someone please define "Part-Time" to me....? I get the impression from the original poster that unless you are committing 100% of your time and attention to your clients and business 100% of the time then you are only working part-time and therefore cannot possibly be serious about either your clients or your business.

Rather than being a" thought-provoking thread", I think that this is simply going to be a "provoking" thread and is going to lead to heated arguments and I'm not sure what the original posters motives are for starting it.

On that basis I'm bowing out now.

Festive greetings one and all
PB
x

In reality, someone who does nails part time does have less commitment than someone who does nails full time. It's an obvious fact. It doesn't mean that if your part time you give any lesser service or commitment to your clients, but it does obviously mean you have less time and commitment to your business! It's obvious - there's only 24 hours in a day and while someone who does nails part time is at their day job, the person who works full time is doing other things to build up their business, service etc. which equals more commitment.

This whole thread has stemmed from one poor girl asking advice on another thread and Geeg telling her she was only doing it as a hobby as she wasn't prepared to start at 7am to make a awkward client happy.

I think there is too much goading going on here and I think to say one person is more commuted than another based on how they spread their hours between work/family and training is pretty disgusting.

Hmmm, yes I saw that post too....

Enough said.

PB
x

Hi

Just read through this thread and whilst I see the point Geeg is trying to make I think it really does depend on the circumstance in which it is applied

For example my personal circumstance I work full time - whilst I do a good job and I do take pride in my work whilst there I am not committed to it

When I have finished my room that I plan to work from home and completed the training I want to I will initially work part time until such a time I can work full time.

I plan on setting expectations with my customers that two days a week I will be unavailable for day time appointments. I will however where possible go the extra mile to accommodate them at almost any other time. Overall whilst in this situation I will not be 100% committed to either my part time job or my customers but overall I am more than committed to my business plans - and they are pretty big!

:)

I do beauty part time.
My full time IT job is also self employed so I can(and do) accommodate beauty customers 24 hours a day if required.
I don't work full time alongside because I want to or because I don't have the passion I do it because I need to pay my mortgage.

I can't see how the above makes me less committed to the job or customer service than someone who works in beauty full time (and I know of very few salon based full time people who would accommodate people outwith their specified opening hours).

Maybe I am being over sensitive but some posts on this thread and many others I've read on here as a newbie smack of people thinking they are better than other people. It's really off putting. I thought the forums were a place for professionals to help each other and discuss the business not to tell other people they aren't committed enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back