TPTW Education...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartypantz

Reaction score
Something I would like to have other peoples thoughts on.. There are many nail technicians who started off their education at home, trying to do nails from a home kit they bought, some who went down the Essential Nails route (I indeed am one of them) and various other home courses, but question is why is it that people think they can teach themselves nails, but wouldn't dream of learning to cut hair at home to become a qualified hairdresser.... or would they:eek:

I would love to hear your thoughts:hug:

Something I would like to have other peoples thoughts on.. There are many nail technicians who started off their education at home, trying to do nails from a home kit they bought, some who went down the Essential Nails route (I indeed am one of them) and various other home courses, but question is why is it that people think they can teach themselves nails, but wouldn't dream of learning to cut hair at home to become a qualified hairdresser.... or would they:eek:

I would love to hear your thoughts:hug:

Playing Devil's Advocate here, I think the likes of Essential Nails would be upset at the thought that you are teaching yourself - you are learning for a video/DVD (oops showing my age LOL) which is presented by an experienced technician!

I did an Essential Nails Airbrushing course and I feel it was very good. I did start an Acrylic one but didnt finish it and chose a classroom situation instead.

I think they have their place as a starting point to see if it is something you want to do, but if you are then serious about a career in nails you do need a good quality classroom training course.

Right, i'm gonna go out on a limb here!

I think a lot of people think they have the expertise and that's why they don't do courses. Basically they think they know it all.

Well the first people to do nails were obviously self-taught and didn't do a course. They then passed their expertise on and started training others. With every skill, someone had to do it first. They never had formal training and just learned as they went along. Obviously they made mistakes along the way and it would have took time to hone their skills.

When we go on training courses, we are learning from people who are good at what they do (well hopefully!), and we learn how to do them properly from the start.

Having said that, I am qualified in manicure and gel nails and have the certificates to prove it. I never do them though and you really wouldn't want your nails done by me-lol. I have spent the grand total of 3 days training for both and then not done them since.

Now would someone rather have their nails done by me, fully qualified and insured or would they rather have them done by someone who has been doing beautiful nails for years but is unqualified and uninsured?

I know it's probably wrong to think like that but I do :o

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing Devil's Advocate here, I think the likes of Essential Nails would be upset at the thought that you are teaching yourself - you are learning for a video/DVD (oops showing my age LOL) which is presented by an experienced technician!

I did an Essential Nails Airbrushing course and I feel it was very good. I did start an Acrylic one but didnt finish it and chose a classroom situation instead.

I think they have their place as a starting point to see if it is something you want to do, but if you are then serious about a career in nails you do need a good quality classroom training course.

:lol: I also started with the Essential Nails course, and it was good as a starting place, but that very qualified technician failed to tell me what I was doing wrong. For that very reason I believe you need a classroom situation, so your faults can be corrected before they become a way of working iygwim.

But why do people think nails are so easy, I was one of them, and I shake my head in disbelief, I would never have thought of doing a hair dressing course at home as it would seem ridiculous that I could learn to cut hair at home, but not knowing one end of file from another I thought I could do nails. Why do people undervalue nails?

:lol: I also started with the Essential Nails course, and it was good as a starting place, but that very qualified technician failed to tell me what I was doing wrong. For that very reason I believe you need a classroom situation, so your faults can be corrected before they become a way of working iygwim.

But why do people think nails are so easy, I was one of them, and I shake my head in disbelief, I would never have thought of doing a hair dressing course at home as it would seem ridiculous that I could learn to cut hair at home, but not knowing one end of file from another I thought I could do nails. Why do people undervalue nails?

So once you have done an essential nails course you are then qualified and insured to work on the public.

In your course the qualified technician didn't point out your faults which is bad training practice. People learn from their mistakes, if they know what they are in the first place!

So that is no classroom training at all-is that right?

See I think it's the courses that need a complete overhaul.

So basically someone can do a home study course and be fully qualified and insured and someone else can have top quality training with the best in that field and get the same qualification.

It's not right is it?

They should have a grading system maybe!

Last edited by a moderator:
So once you have done an essential nails course you are then qualified and insured to work on the public.

Yes, I believe you are.

In your course the qualified technician didn't point out your faults which is bad training practice. People learn from their mistakes, if they know what they are in the first place!

The qualified technician is on a TV screen, so they cant see what you are doing.

So that is no classroom training at all-is that right?

See I think it's the courses that need a complete overhaul.

So basically someone can do a home study course and be fully qualified and insured and someone else can have top quality training with the best in that field and get the same qualification.

It's not right is it?

They should have a grading system maybe!

The nails are placed on a grading card and sent into Essential Nails to be graded - there are various grades from fail to distinction.

Please let's not make this a thread about Essential Nails specifically.

What i meant was, all qualifications should have a grading sysyem,whether it be nails, waxing, facials etc.........

Latest posts

Back