Tracing your Family Tree????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim@Talontastic

Reaction score
Just wondered if any of you out there had ever traced your family tree.

I've just spent the afternoon with my nana and her sister. They've not seen each other for 7 years and I was amazed at how big my family actually is - even my nana was suprised. After my "great" aunt(?!?) had gone we were talking about the family and my nana said she'd love to trace some of her sisters (there were 10 of them plus my nana) and see what they are doing now.

I thought it'd be nice if I could help her but I really dont no where to start. I don't necessarily want to meet all these people just no how big my family is and things if that makes sense.

So geeks have any of you had any success doing this?

Thank you xxx

I can't help I'm afraid, I have a really huge family but we're lucky to know a lot about them.

My great grandma lived to 95 on one side and 89 on the other side so know a lot about their family. I have lots of extended family too as my great-grandma, nana, mum and dad have all re-married!!! (my great-grandma at age 80!!)

I would love to know more about a few generations back though, all I really know is we come from Poland and Russia years ago. I ddi read memoirs my great great uncle (or someone like that!) had written about his journey out of Warsaw before the war etc but that's only 1 person!!

Anwway, you don't need to know all this! I wish you luck in finding out some info. Are there other relatives u can talk to?

xxxx

p.s. yes, your nana's sister is your great aunt!! i know a lot about working out relations, cousins once removed etc!! xx

i had a client in yesterday who was talking about how she did hers.... il c if i can remember............(!)
she had her nans birth cert which showed nans mum and dad on it so they then contacted somewhere, im not sure where, to ask for the parents birth certs, which they recieve and then they found out who the nans parents parents were, and it rolls like that.
alternativly if your nan knows her sisters names and place of birth go on genesreunited.co.uk it will help you on there.......

Hi ive done it, but luckily one side was all scottish, and all their records are easily accessable online so no need to wait and order, i managed to go back to 1600's.
English is ok,but more hard work is needed!
Get as many stories from family, dates ages places etc! It's best to work backwards, start with death certs, they usually give age, dob, spouse, so from there you can then look for birth certs so that will then lead to parents names etc and then once you have thier ages you can then find them on certain censuses and thats where brothers & sisters pop up, jobs they had etc!

Hope that made sense - if not or want more info pm me -ill be glad to help!!

I have done a lot of mine and have made contact with family members too.
You need to start off with what you know and make a tree. Genes Reunited is a good site and is free unless you want to access records which you won't need to at first.
Once you have got as far as you can by what you and family members know then you will need to pay for certificates or to access records on the internet.

It is very addictive but if you really want to do it feel free to ask me anything and i'll try and help you out.

Latest posts

Back