Trade mag photos

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jane

Scratchers Geek
Reaction score
Maybe I'm being a bit too critical here but don't companies proof their photos before sending them off for insertion in a trade mag? I mean we usually see one or two that we look at and think "Oh dear...." but I've just looked through the latest Scratch magazine and there seems to be an unusual amount of poor quality workmanship.
If a company or individual is trying to promote their product/system/technique then I expect better results.
Maybe something gets lost in the developement of pictures or it's camera distortion.
Yes we all have personal preferences on shape colour etc. but there are generic rules as to what a good nail should look like.
Maybe I am being over critical.

oooh, which piccies are you talking about? I only had a quick browse, so i'll check out all the ones you mean and let you know!

I do know what you mean tho - occasionally i think some aren't as 'technically' perfect as I'm used to seeing in mags!

but then 'what do i know?!?!'

x

(sorry - had to edit, re-read my first comment and it sounded awful!)
x

Five separate one's caught my eye. One in particular, page 22, Odyssey Nail Systems. Step 6, what on earth is that smile line all about! I think Trang Nguyen would be gutted!

I have to say i agree! I did look at these photos and wonder how on earth step 6 ended up looking like step 8??? then it dawned on me that the pic in step 8 was probably a different piccie!! Doh!! Nice to see that my nails arent the only ones that can look a bit rough before the finishing! lol

I have to agree. I too couldn't miss a particular photo of very sad workmanship which did not do the very reputable EXPERT any favours at all. It was a photo with great imagination and artistry but sadly lacking much attention to overall detail. I found this very frustrating as it would have been an ABSOLUTE KNOCK-OUT of a picture had a little more time been given to the ENTIRE nails rather than just the artistry. When photos receive prime position in trade mags, I really expect perfection! Sadly disappointing!

I noticed this too and especially in the last edition of Scratch...thing is do we really want all pics touched up and digitally corrected? I think not but like u have said it is quite disappointing to see work by the top companies being far from perfect....I think the worst one I have seen was the ad for Calgel...the black and white one with the two diamantes on each nail...the first time I saw this I was shocked at the wiggly outlines...they must have been really embarassed!!!...in recent mag issues this has been corrected.

just had a look at page 22 and must say that the smile line is way off the line, but also i would love to be able to create smile lines like the ones antony buckley has done,(in my dreams) i like the way it curves and goes down the side walls it just looks so crisp.

emma

If a company or individual is trying to promote their product/system/technique then I expect better results.
Maybe something gets lost in the developement of pictures or it's camera distortion. quote

personally i love to see beautiful professional pictures done by the best in the industry even if these are touched up etc, but i also like to see what any nail technician can do, i have a fuji S5000 camera not the best but not the cheapest, you can get as close as you can but the picture still has to be cropped down so much for a magazine, this sometimes causes the pics to look a bit fuzzy, the rose pic for instance is as clear as a bell but cropped for the mag its fuzzy, never mind perhaps one day i will be able to afford a photographer lol :wink2:
dawn x

I have no doubt that some of the larger adverts that appear have been computer enhanced, no problem with that.
The thing is people like Antony Buckley and Marco Benito give us fabulous pictorials and they actually do produce nails as good as you see in the magazines. Some of the nails we see still wouldn't look too hot if they'd been photographed by David Bailey (sorry couldn't think of any other top notch photographer!)
Fire & Ice(pg 73) are marketing real diamonds, promote them on a decent set of nails please!

P.S. Love the new CND advert on page 9, extremely stylish, looking forward to the new education program

Jane said:
P.S. Love the new CND advert on page 9, extremely stylish, looking forward to the new education program

Whooppeee Jane - thank you for that! I have been dying to hear what you guys thought... it is so exciting what GMG has done!! We can't wait to 'launch'!! I haven't seen the latest issue of Scratch yet... I do know what you are all talking about when it comes to 'quality' of shots! If we do a step-by-step we analise everything from the person's nails who is 'doing' the sbs to the quality of application!

If they think it's good enough to go into a major trade mag, maybe they think it's good enough to teach!! Thank God you guys are becoming savvy to beautiful looking nails - it's so easy to spot when they are pants!:Scared:

CND adverts always live up to my expectations - PERFECT! The new courses sound exciting too and I can't wait to find out more x

WOHOOOOOOOOOOO look at our Amanda aka the geek Mandini..............
A brill advert and I can't wait to see this new Education Program.........Whens the launch ?????

I phoned LEEDS Monday as i'm itching to do my masters this year.I was told they dont have any details yet for new Date's for courses till MARCH!!:sad: . Then they will send me all the Details, dont know if thats just a Salisbury, the nearest to me or the same all over? Heather x

Doesnt our mandy look so cool!!!! Would imagine that the course will be for the uk, has the best just got better! Would be intrested to know what is different or is it a marketing hype?

Latest posts

Back