Trade test for first job, critique my nails please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie-Liz

Reaction score
Hi geeks,
I qualified in Acrylic and Gel in July and I have been asked to do my first trade test at a local salon. I have to do a full set of both, I am really nervous and worried my nails aren't very good. Hoping you could have a look at my most recent full sets and offer some advice or opinions please? Hope u don't mind and Thanks in advance

The pictures would help. Lol

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1412779631.500037.jpg
Acrylics

It wouldn't let me upload them all at once sorry.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1412779709.288355.jpg
Sculpted acrylic using forms, painted with Attitude polish I had in my college kit

The first set the White tips are a little uneven so just watch that you make sure the tips are the same, the second picture looks good I love the nail art! And around the cuticle of the thumb on third photo looks slightly messy but nothing major,it could just be the angle of the photo. Just go in, relax and do your best! Make sure you let your personality shine, make sure to let us know how you get on!

The first set the White tips are a little uneven so just watch that you make sure the tips are the same, the second picture looks good I love the nail art! And around the cuticle of the thumb on third photo looks slightly messy but nothing major,it could just be the angle of the photo. Just go in, relax and do your best! Make sure you let your personality shine, make sure to let us know how you get on!

Aww thank you, The flower on the gels is cane art, I have hundreds of different ones lol. I enjoy gels a lot more than I do acrylic.
I think that thumb was a mess on the 3rd pic too, I will take that all on board and hopefully all will go well! The salon owner knows me as I did work experience there a few months ago so it makes it a bit easier. I suppose having someone critique your work face to face is nerve wracking. Thanks for the advice and I will definitely let u know how it went xx

Practice your French, your smile lines and nail shaping. They should be consistent across all 10 nails. Same shape, same depth. When you're working remember to keep checking and comparing nails, don't just focus on the one you're working on. And try and relax on the day, easier said than done I know but good luck!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think it went well, I love the salon and got on really well with the other girls there. I felt at ease and really enjoyed the trade test, I think I did the best sets I have ever done! The owner has a few more to see and said she would be in touch. She seemed impressed so that's a positive, fingers crossed 😊😊 xx

We'll done! That all sounds very positive so fingers crossed for you :) Let us know what the outcome is!

Ooooh well done! I hope you get it now, make sure to update us :D

I sincerely hope you get the job but I have to say you need to do a lot of work to get these nails up to scratch my lovely.

As a paying client I would be reluctant to pay :-(

Take a good look at the pictures you have posted with honest eyes and then take a look at some of the nails on the thread below and you will see that the gap between the two is quite wide at the moment.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/159644-what-nails-you-sporting-today.html

You have had some good feedback from the other geeks and you need to practice and keep on practicing ... you will get there :hug:

Honestly, they aren't brilliant. As above they need more consistency. The whites are all uneven. There is no apex, on the second pic the white looks far too big for the nail.

Im not trying to rip into you either but as a client I would not be happy with those.

I would advise you to get models and practice your heart out till they are perfect and good enough to charge before taking a position in a salon.

When I first trained in nails I would do so many models and practise every night on my nail trainer perfecting smile lines and the apex.

Lots of practice and you will do fine.

This is said with the best intentions.

Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back