Trainee terminated

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I to have had this,took on a young girl work excperience..for one week...day two £20.00 went from MY bag...she went on her lunch never to be see again!!then seen cash missing...phoned school/and police.
Then late night in salon...............her dad payed me a vist!!said he was going to slash my face/take my eyes out...whatch your back when you go to your car...new my car/home ect.weeks i lived in hidding....3months later he damaged my car...windows/keyed paintwork,then came to salon...I Will still KILL YOU B****

Obviously he's a great parental figure and daughters just taking a leaf out of his book....:eek:

I too am having problems with staff. Its a world gone mad and I am besides myself.

I wouldnt ever take another therapist straight from college, the ones I have had on work experience were not up to stratch, simple as and were unreliable.

I would rather take someone who has been through private training as in my experience they have more fire in their belly for the work!!

tigi

Last edited:
this is all making me think that the beauty industry needs to be more regulated with regards to recruitment/employment to protect both the employer and employee. I'm not sure how this could be done but it sounds like there's difficulty on both sides of the fence.

I think the point about privat training is a very valid one in that for what you pay to do it, it wouldn't make sense to not be passionate about making a successful career out of it.

Shhhesh! minefield!....well if anyone is still looking, get in touch with me, Reliable and Keen from Manchester ;) (and willing to travel)

The reason I use professional HR support, as opposed to ACAS or the free advice services is so that I dont end up in tribuneral, I do it all by the book.

Regardless of that there are still so many myths abound regarding what employees can actually take you to tribuneral for. I think they just think they may as well have a go, as they heard you win a million pounds.

Reality is somewhat different. Very few "no win no fee" tryiton lawyers would be willing to go up against Peninsula (my HR company) in court. If they lose, they pay the award. They dont lose!

As long as you follow their advice, use their letters and generally do the right thing then you are pretty covered.

The other reality is that most awards are a few hundred, not thousands. Unless you are really stupid and sack someone for being pregnant or a different colour, then big money payouts are rare.
If you sack someone for getting preggars or being a different colour, then you have only got yourself to blame, and probably deserve problems.

I have experienced staff get obnoxiuos when pregnant, and that was the most difficult situation I ever faced. I had to just swallow it and pray for her to go on leave.

It almost sounds like it's not even worth the hassle, doesn't it? I wonder if voluntary attrition almost isn't a better idea. Hound their asses until they leave voluntarily? No?

It almost sounds like it's not even worth the hassle, doesn't it? I wonder if voluntary attrition almost isn't a better idea. Hound their asses until they leave voluntarily? No?

Thats called constructive dismissal

Is it legally feasible? Or would you be liable for a possible harassment allegation?

Is it legally feasible? Or would you be liable for a possible harassment allegation?

Yep, they have a claim. You have to go down the monitoring and disciplinary route if you want to get rid of someone once they have been with you a year.

Then that's classed as Constructive Dismissal which could also land you in bother! :irked:

You have a lot of rules there. Here, if our owner feels you're not a proper fit for his salon and spa, he'll let you go. End of story.

When hired, he tells you his team philosophy and his expectations which are high. He has you sign off that you understand this. If you don't meet expectations, then you're gone.

Then that's classed as Constructive Dismissal which could also land you in bother! :irked:

Without it being constructive dismissal you could get fire them for inability to do their job. Think it's (gross) misconduct. However you would still need to go through disciplinary procedures which is still long and irritating. However, catch them stealing a spatula or a wax strip or something and then you can fire them on the spot :) (written stuff must be done of course) legal malarky, yuk!

Update. Silly X trainee went to a solicitor and I got a ridiculous letter sent to me with all kinds of allegations and threats of court. It took me hours to write my reply letter myself, I didn't bother to pay a solicitor as it was a clean cut case and as predicted the X trainee dropped the case after they received my reply. I'm even more disgusted I put faith in her now. Good riddance

gotta be honest, Im very comforted by reading this! Thought it was just me getting the dim-wits/p***s-takers/and crazy people....... And why is it, they seem fine to begin with, then lose the plot after a few months???
Good stylists and juniors are like gold dust. Without wanting to sound like my mother, what are they teaching young people these days??

Update. Silly X trainee went to a solicitor and I got a ridiculous letter sent to me with all kinds of allegations and threats of court. It took me hours to write my reply letter myself, I didn't bother to pay a solicitor as it was a clean cut case and as predicted the X trainee dropped the case after they received my reply. I'm even more disgusted I put faith in her now. Good riddance

What a great waste of your time and energy. Not to mention the gray hairs it added to your head.

If only this qualified for justifiable homicide......

I cannot believe the horrors you ladies have been through....especially you Dawn. It seems every other month your girls are taking the p*ss and you seem like such an excellent employer too!

I think that a lot of girls see beauty as a cop out...something easy and they'll get to be pretty and have chats and do eachothers nails....but they don't realise there is serious hard work involved.

My parents instilled a strong work ethic in me, which was really important. I've worked since i finished my GCSE's and wouldn't dare take a day off unless i was really really ill and would never go out drinking on a work night. They had their own business and so i saw how it is for the employer i guess.

My college were also very good at showing us the "real world". We started with a total of 28 girls in two classes and finished with 20...out of those only 3 of us wanted to continue, but the others wanted the qualification they had worked for.

Even then, i didn't realise until i started working properly, how poorly "salon ready" i was. I have great appreciation for the employers that first gave me a chance and showed me the ropes.

Our course was full time, with a minimum of 3 hours per week work experience (free) within a salon. I think this should be mandatory, because not only did we get to see how it really is, but it helped us to find jobs, because a lot of these employers offered us work, once they saw how committed we were...if they didn't, they didn't offer you the job.

I would like to say don't tar all of us with the same brush, but reading about the little sh*ts you lot have had in your salons, i can see why you would. Good luck to you finding a true professional and not just a silly little girl xx

Iv been reading this and its terrible. I'm 25 and currently training level 2 Beauty Therapy part time and ppl don't realise it is hard work. I love it buy get frustrated if I can't do it right but I'm determined. Now I'm wondering that I should go straight into a salon after doing level 3 or while training doing level 3 to get experience. I have 2 tutors and one is great but the other one has clearly too much work to do. I just hope someone would give me a chance when it comes to it cos I love it and I also did it so I could improve my confidence. It's disheartening. X

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back