Trainee terminated

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should have sacked her for gross misconduct. Using salon products without permission is actually theft. I know of a hair salon owner who got rid of a bad employee this way. She sacked her for using salon shampoo and conditioner. Im not sure, but sacking for Gross misconduct loses any entitlement to holiday pay etc. This is may I say an awful thing to do to someone, but there are sometimes no other options x

im a newly qualified therapist with cibtac and itec and im currently completing my 600 hours to get my cidesco certificate.. ive done about 450 so far.. while i love the salon im working in, i only find out day by day if ill be working depending on how busy they are.. is that a normal occurance? its difficult as i have bills and rent to pay and never have a regular income.. im earning 60euro a day which is less than other girls who i trained with in college.. it feels as though im being taken advantage of and im getting very little training.. any advice would be great.. thanks:)

im a newly qualified therapist with cibtac and itec and im currently completing my 600 hours to get my cidesco certificate.. ive done about 450 so far.. while i love the salon im working in, i only find out day by day if ill be working depending on how busy they are.. is that a normal occurance? its difficult as i have bills and rent to pay and never have a regular income.. im earning 60euro a day which is less than other girls who i trained with in college.. it feels as though im being taken advantage of and im getting very little training.. any advice would be great.. thanks:)

I think you should ask for a contract if possible?

Reading this makes me so sad, sad for all of you and sad for people like myself who may not get a chance because someone has screwed it up before us. I am new to the industry having worked in a completely different job before now which has given me plenty of additional skills, hard working being among them, my downfal is complete lack of experience in this sector, and sadly because of that it looks like I will have to go self employed to gain any experience!
And with you all having such terrible experiences with staff it doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon!

That said, I'm a firm believer things happen for a reason, so for all you having to get rid of terrible staff it's probably because the right one is just around the corner and if you didn't have to get rid of 1 you couldn't have taken on the awesome one ;)

I completely agree with this :)

I think there are people going into the industry "just because" and they're not sure why and then there are people who are mega mega keen to make a go of it.

I watch Young Dumb and Living off Mum and it drives me up the wall because I'm 23 and very hard working (as are many other young people I know) and I would hate to think that this programme makes people think that all young people behave and think like the people on these programmes, after all, they put the more extreme people on the tele because that's what makes it interesting lol

I'd just like to add a few points that have put me off working for some people in a couple of recent experiences. I'm mentioning these because i wonder if they happen to a lot of newly qual'd people and coax them to lean towards the more defensive side:

Lack of contract

Being asked to work as self employed when it's actually a role that lends itself to being classed as employed

an unsupervised "trade test" on paying clients

Anything else that causes the new employee reason not to completely trust the employer

Coming across to the new employee as decieptful/condescending/pushy etc

(I'm not saying that two wrongs make a right, I'm just saying that negative energy can often feed negative energy) Either way, I'd like to hope that in the majority of cases that everyone is trying their best for other people :)

Im a neewbie! Hope that your unfortunate experiences wont hold you back from giving a genuine person a good start. Im one of them and would LOVE to have that opportunity. I have to fund it all by myself :( BUT least it shows i am commited! x

Im newly qualified and working in a spa. I came in after a career change so am a little older, i love what i do on good days and try so hard to please clients/ managers. Yet no matter what i do it doesn't seem good enough, last week i had a client muck her nails up possibly due to playing on phone i redid them and then her mum cancelled all appointments with me.. It was the day before my Jessica training and they're offering 25% off my treatments.

I dont think its all the therapists fault, not always i try my hardest as i like the company/ people but dont think the clients help every situation.... especially the young clients!

Im newly qualified and working in a spa. I came in after a career change so am a little older, i love what i do on good days and try so hard to please clients/ managers. Yet no matter what i do it doesn't seem good enough, last week i had a client muck her nails up possibly due to playing on phone i redid them and then her mum cancelled all appointments with me.. It was the day before my Jessica training and they're offering 25% off my treatments.

I dont think its all the therapists fault, not always i try my hardest as i like the company/ people but dont think the clients help every situation.... especially the young clients!

this must be so stressful! :( I do think that employers should be as supportive as possible...i think it becomes even harder to be good at your job if you feel that someone is watching you and thinking the worst. I'm not saying that I'd need people to fall over backwards to tell me I'm doing a good job but I think when morale is low, if I was a manager I'd do my most to boost it. Hope its all going ok for you :)

Does nobody tell youngsters that this is the world of work?

First, I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this AGAIN.
Second, I don't know how you don't have night terrors.
Third, This is why our owner says he prefers "mature" employees.
Fourth, You appear to me to be a damn good business woman and a more than competent salon owner. Don't shut down. F**k them.

Ooooo and how many times did I have to bite my tongue in college??? A 50 year old with a class of 18 years olds..it was very clear that the world of working let alone in a busy salon, was going to be a real tough challenge for some of them!!
I think colleges need to bring back work placements in ALL levels, it would at least give them a chance to see how the real world works..
I would love to work for you Persianista, but Im not level 3 beauty and the commute would kill me!! But hey, you've got cats so you're ok by me!!
Dont give up the salon, just employ oldies!!! We dont go drinking on a Friday and not turn up on Saturday, or bitch about each other, we go into work with a smile even if we feel like c**p cos we dont want to let people down..etc etc etc hahahha ! xxx

I'd just like to add a few points that have put me off working for some people in a couple of recent experiences. I'm mentioning these because i wonder if they happen to a lot of newly qual'd people and coax them to lean towards the more defensive side:

Lack of contract

Being asked to work as self employed when it's actually a role that lends itself to being classed as employed

an unsupervised "trade test" on paying clients

Anything else that causes the new employee reason not to completely trust the employer

Coming across to the new employee as decieptful/condescending/pushy etc

(I'm not saying that two wrongs make a right, I'm just saying that negative energy can often feed negative energy) Either way, I'd like to hope that in the majority of cases that everyone is trying their best for other people :)

I do agree. Mine are all employed. I use a pro HR company which gives them an employee support program. They are given a contract, a handbook and have to enrol on my payroll straight away.

I ask them to bring a friend to model for their trade test, or they use one of my staff (Poor Chloe lost an eyebrow a fortnight ago).

We are completely straight in the way we run our business. We use correct products (no substitutions), never lie to our staff or clients, and try and make our money in a positive and honest way.

I still get the idiots, the know it alls and the unhinged.:irked:

Ooooo and how many times did I have to bite my tongue in college??? A 50 year old with a class of 18 years olds..it was very clear that the world of working let alone in a busy salon, was going to be a real tough challenge for some of them!!
I think colleges need to bring back work placements in ALL levels, it would at least give them a chance to see how the real world works..
I would love to work for you Persianista, but Im not level 3 beauty and the commute would kill me!! But hey, you've got cats so you're ok by me!!
Dont give up the salon, just employ oldies!!! We dont go drinking on a Friday and not turn up on Saturday, or bitch about each other, we go into work with a smile even if we feel like c**p cos we dont want to let people down..etc etc etc hahahha ! xxx

:)
Amen to that

As someone who retrained at 45 I TOTALLY empathise with this lol!! The number of times the young'uns flouted the uniform rules, came back late from lunches and breaks, didn't bother turning up for classes (especially when we started treatments on real paying clients), wasted unbelievable amounts of product and who's health and safety standards were lax to say the least!!!!

Our lecturer was lovely but never really pulled anyone up on it and as someone who was committed to the industry and who forked out thousands of pounds on courses (unlike a lot of the school/college leavers whose Level 2s were funded by the government), I found it incredibly frustrating at times. Personally, I think a few of them should have been kicked off the course.

I really feel for any salon owner trying to recruit decent therapists if my experience was indicative of standards in colleges today!:irked:

PB
x

I do agree. Mine are all employed. I use a pro HR company which gives them an employee support program. They are given a contract, a handbook and have to enrol on my payroll straight away.

I ask them to bring a friend to model for their trade test, or they use one of my staff (Poor Chloe lost an eyebrow a fortnight ago).

We are completely straight in the way we run our business. We use correct products (no substitutions), never lie to our staff or clients, and try and make our money in a positive and honest way.

this sounds like the makings of a dream job in my opinion which makes me even more disappointed that there are people out there who were lucky enough to be employed by you and then take the mick in such a way :(

I wish you the very best in your future recruitment because it must be a very stressful proceedure when you're doing it all by the book and employees aren't prepared to give it their all.

it also makes me more frustrated that I've been unlucky enough to go to some, in my opinion, unprofessional/dodgy interviews when there are professional and reasonable employers out there who are getting messed around by employees who aren't being professional :(

You should have sacked her for gross misconduct. Using salon products without permission is actually theft. I know of a hair salon owner who got rid of a bad employee this way. She sacked her for using salon shampoo and conditioner. Im not sure, but sacking for Gross misconduct loses any entitlement to holiday pay etc. This is may I say an awful thing to do to someone, but there are sometimes no other options x

No, holiday pay is a statutory requirement and therefore must be paid regardless of the reasons for termination of employment, which is a real git!!

Someone waxed someones eyebrow off in a trade test! Goodness sake! That's a riot!! I think you should keep looking, the right person must be our there somewhere!

I completely agree with this :)

I think there are people going into the industry "just because" and they're not sure why and then there are people who are mega mega keen to make a go of it.

I watch Young Dumb and Living off Mum and it drives me up the wall because I'm 23 and very hard working (as are many other young people I know) and I would hate to think that this programme makes people think that all young people behave and think like the people on these programmes, after all, they put the more extreme people on the tele because that's what makes it interesting lol
Yes that is very true, I take what you are saying.

No, holiday pay is a statutory requirement and therefore must be paid regardless of the reasons for termination of employment, which is a real git!!

Life is a b%$£h when silly little girls can have you by the short an curly's!!!!

I to have had this,took on a young girl work excperience..for one week...day two £20.00 went from MY bag...she went on her lunch never to be see again!!then seen cash missing...phoned school/and police.
Then late night in salon...............her dad payed me a vist!!said he was going to slash my face/take my eyes out...whatch your back when you go to your car...new my car/home ect.weeks i lived in hidding....3months later he damaged my car...windows/keyed paintwork,then came to salon...I Will still KILL YOU B****

I to have had this,took on a young girl work excperience..for one week...day two £20.00 went from MY bag...she went on her lunch never to be see again!!then seen cash missing...phoned school/and police.
Then late night in salon...............her dad payed me a vist!!said he was going to slash my face/take my eyes out...whatch your back when you go to your car...new my car/home ect.weeks i lived in hidding....3months later he damaged my car...windows/keyed paintwork,then came to salon...I Will still KILL YOU B****

This is a joke right?! How can you be put through this....?

Latest posts

Back