Training advice: starting from scratch

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Carly*

Reaction score
Couldn't resist a pun! :lol:

I've decided I want to train to be a nail tech working from home and I'd like to start my training as soon as possible. Once qualified, I'm hoping to practise and perfect my techniques on family and friends for around a year, before setting up as a proper business at home. Within that time doing other courses to build up my repertoire, possibly also adding facials, spray tans, brows and make up (I have some make up and hair training already, but no actual qualifications), though this is all in the future and I don't want to get ahead of myself. I have a huge ongoing passion for nails and already do natural nail manis on friends and family. For a career that goes with my passion and is flexible to work around family commitments, training as a nail tech would be ideal.

I have been looking at various courses, mostly colleges, but I've come to the understanding that nothing beats CNDs training. I was looking at their complete course, although it's pricey it seems like a great investment. I really want to be the best I can be and invest in my training. However, what do you receive upon completion? A certificate for insurance purposes? Would I be able to complete the course, practise and practise and practise and then apply and pay for a NVQ certificate myself, if I do the relevant paperwork and produce a portfolio? Would the complete course be equal to NVQ level 2? Would I even need the NVQ on top of what I'd receive from CND? I do intend to work self employed, but I'd like the option of being employable by a salon if I find myself struggling to find a good client base or if my situation changes. It's a 17 day course, surely you can't just do 17 days and then after that just buy insurance and start charging? It all sounds rather rushed, or is it? What advice do you Geeks have? What's the best way for a newbie like myself to get trained up, practise and perfect so I can work at a high standard, insure myself and then set myself up as a legal business? If you were starting from scratch, how would you go about it?

Also, vaguely related, on the complete course I know you get a lot of products but does this include the UV lamp? If not, is there an option to purchase this whilst you're there?

P.S. The reason I've given myself around a year or so before properly setting up is I currently live in a small flat and I don't drive. We're planning on relocating and buying a house at some point in the not-so-far-off future, but I couldn't realistically work on clients here in my flat. Friends and family is obviously a different story and I'm very happy to just get in as much practise as possible and train as much as I can. I'm not doing this as a quick way to make money, I'm doing it as it's something I want to excel in and consider it an investment for the future, with the intention and hope of making an income after a couple of years; which is why I'd like to start now :)

Thanks!
(please be gentle!)

a few quick replies for you... the cnd complete course days are actually spread over a few months with plenty of practise in between. you are tested along the way and at the end. the final qualification you receive is an ITEC which is internationally recognised. they wont pass you if you arent ready to belet loose on the public. cnd are also great at following up on you, you shouuld stay in touch with your educator and they will be there for you. they want you to succeed

You receive absolutely everything you need to carry out the treatments, tools, products and yes a uv lamp!

best thing to do is call sweet squared they can answer any and all questions directly!

Thank you so much! That makes a hell of a lot more sense, the thought of having all that info in quick succession was freaking me out! I feel like a right dummy.

Yay *happy dance* everything I was hoping for. So a salon would happily take you on with the ITEC? I'll be honest, I'd never heard of that particular qualification, there's so many different ones these days.

Will ring Sweet Squared in the morning, then ring a parental and attempt to beg a temporary loan. My mother is a great testifier of my work, so *fingers crossed*. I'm also super lucky that my partner is hugely supporting me with this choice in career, even though he knows it's constant training and investment.

Well you know exactly what you want and go for it however have a look at hand and nail harmony training I've done training with my local rep and could not fault .... It's worth a look ;-) all the best Hun xx

Thanks Lisa, that's not one I'd heard of before but I'll definitely check them out too. Glad you're so happy with the training you've received :)

Go me, I've added an avatar and pics! Took me ages to find out how to do the avatar thing lol.

Latest posts

Back