Training courses - again!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynne Baker

Lynne The Skin!
Reaction score
Hi all
I've been lurking around on the site for a few weeks now and reading as much as I can about which training to undergo.
I have a CIBTAC qualification in Aromatherapy massage and am looking to learn all aspects of Beauty Therapy. This is a long held dream of mine (my dear father put paid to any notion of becoming an Aestheticienne years ago!) and now I have reached a certain cross roads in my life and it has become feasible to retrain.
I live between Newbury and Basingstoke and have the luxury (if it can be so described!) of choosing between each college for courses. However I must wait until September, and they offer only full time courses.
I would like to get started with manicures, pedicures and waxing in the meantime, but not nail extensions or nail art. I would also like to offer reflexology and hot stone massage, and facials in the future.
To this end I have found several local private beauty academies, one of which is the Carlton Institute - the reviews of which filled me with mostly dread! The other local (ish) school is the Avida Beauty Academy; I have attached a link to their site.
I know that personal recommendation is a valuable tool when choosing a course and I would be very grateful if you might take a look at their site and offer your opinion - good, bad or indifferent.
I was also thinking that I could get a feel for them if I went to visit. Would that be a reasonable request to make of them, do you think?
I'm a "mature" student and would like to offer a wonderful, professional service to my potential clients, with the emphasis on quality and individual care.
avida beauty academy school

Many thanks for your time in looking at this, it is much appreciated.
lynne

hiya ! ive recently done several course with the carlton , to be honest tho it was the convenience of it being close to me and as i have a young child to . im doing nvq sweedish massage and facial treatments . i liked the idea of doing one unit at a time as they r expensive. last year i did some courses with them and found i learnt alot but the tutor was not half as good as this time . the courses are fast pace and some prior knowlege would be beneficial. when i went in feb some days we only had 5 per group which was good as it felt more 1-1 . i would however recomend going to ur local college as its cheaper and u will gain more experience .

My local college is starting to offer courses in beauty as of this year and when it does im booking staright up! doing a short course then home study is def not as motivating as knowing u will be going every day or every week .you will also have constant tutor suport , and can ask questions etc when u need to . It is also hard putting the portfolio together when u have never even seen one before lol and i wish i had someone there to tell me if its wrong!!

anyway if u need any more info pm me chick . hth vicky

Thank you!
Having spoken with Kim and Sam I'm going to train with Kim for the waxing side of things and go on a CND course for mani/pedi. Because I'm an aromatherapist I'm drawn to Eve Taylor's range of skin care, and as soon as my BABTAC membership number arrives I shall be investigating her product. If she offers training I'll be going there!
Thanks for responding!

Ive had a look around the web link you gave. And i would say it looks all very good, the courses go into detail, looks professional i would say go for it. Although i must say its a tad pricey but im sure its worth it. I think your willpower and dream will send you far in the beauty industry. good luck xx :hug:

Hi Calla I have had an Avida facial DVD and I thought it was really good. I think I would go and see them and decide after viewing the place. You do have to be careful with private courses though. The quality for some are not the best. I was on one as a refresher and another girl there was setting up after having only a week's instruction without taking the sxams just doing the college certification - the tutor telling her that she did not need to do it all if she was working from home and that exams were only needed if working in a salon!!! This same tutor told me that my body massage was too long at 50 + 10 mins for undressing etc. Apparently a full body massage takes 40 minutes!!!:mad:

To be fair I have also been on college courses where the trainer was only interested in talking about her social life! I would look into the Avida training as long as you have good ongoing support and clients to practise on then I do not think it matters if it is college or private education rather the quality and integrity of the indivuidual tutor. :)

Latest posts

Back