Training my new brush!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhonda

Reaction score
I have just got a new CND brush and I want to train it so that it comes to that lovely flat edge that some techs can get. My old brush never did do it, so I was wondering the proper way to train the brush to get that shape.

Your brush from CND will come to you with the hairs 'sealed' in Guar gum.

First you must remove this gum from the brush.
Take a lint free pad and wrap it around the hairs and squeeze hard a few times between your thumb and index finger to 'break the gum then take your pad and, still using your thumb and index finger, separate the hairs of the brush thoroughly - at this stage it will look like the brush has a case of dandruff!!

Then using clean monomer liquid, saturate the brush and draw the brush out against the side of the dappen dish - from the ferrule (metal bit) to the flags of the brush (the tip)- first one side and then the other -creating a flat sided brush. Do this about 20 - 30 times ALWAYS drawing the brush out on the SAME flat sides. then throw away the monomer liquid which is now contaminated with guar gum.

It is important to never touch the hairs of the brush with your fingers, and to always use the brush exactly the same way. This will train your brush perfectly. If you use it differently or allow anyone else to use your brush (a sackable offense to me) they will undo all the training you have put into it and it usually never works the same again. Also never use your brush in monomer other than the one you use every day.

The brush is a quality instrument and should be exclusive to you.

Hi Geeg

I was taught to keep 'flicking' my brush (CND) against some couch roll or similar until ALL guar gum dandruff was removed - I have done this with some brushes for about 15 mins and still all the guar gum has not been removed!! Do I not need to do this? I was told that if it wasn't all removed it would contaminate my brush.

Another thing - when I've finished with my brush for the day and I've cleaned it in monomer, should the brush be shaped as you mentioned before. I have been shaping mine back into a point each time before it's bedtime.

Should it be drained of monomer?
Should it be layed to bed flat?

Sorry, so many questions so little breath :shock:

Dellie

I`ve been shown to put my brush back to a point for bed but told to put it in a pipette and stand it on its head

Howda:

pepper said:
I was taught to keep 'flicking' my brush (CND) against some couch roll or similar until ALL guar gum dandruff was removed

Thats a great way to get the initial startch out of the brush. Only do it for a minute to get the startch broken up, then clean and train as gigi had mentioned
pepper said:
Should it be drained of monomer?
Should it be layed to bed flat?
Yup. And Yup.
If you leave excess monomer in your brush, it can partially polymerise, make your brush gummy and conamtinate your monomer.
Lay it flat to avoid excess monomer seeping into the ferrule.

deb said:
I`ve been shown to put my brush back to a point for bed but told to put it in a pipette and stand it on its head

Rolling it to a point will train your flags to a point. Dry it and shape it in a paddle shape to get the aforementioned um... paddle... um shape :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back