Training options, Scotland

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Champagnecharli

Reaction score
I'm considering retraining to be a beauty therapist/nail tech with the overall goal of becoming self employed. I'm currently a teacher so it will be quite a big change. I plan on going back to work next year after maternity leave for 2-3 days a week so any training would need to be done either part time/ evenings/weekends/school holidays.

Has anyone trained in this way in Scotland and could recommend institutions/courses? I was thinking of doing my nail training at fingertips in Newbridge - I know it's expensive but I don't mind investing in the best as this is a long term plan for my husband and I. Any other options/ideas?

I done all my training with Lime Blossom Beauty school (apart from waxing was evenings at Jewel and Esk college & my Gellux with Capital Hair & Beauty). Linda the owner was amazing! She comes to you to do one on one training and can accomodate to you. I would highly recomend Lime Blossom, it is very expensive but I promise you its worth every penny with the high quality training you receive. Hope this helps you xx

Ok great thanks for that! I'll look into it - I take it I'll find it if I google Lime Blossom? Can I ask are you self-employed and how do you find it?

Hi there - i attended the scottish beauty school, i can recommend it for the make up course but this is all i have completed there, there is a caledonian beauty therapy school - it should come up on google - also most colleges do night classes but i found the same course at scottish beauty school and it was a lot quicker! i had looked into ics and qc distance learning but i found them very expensive, hope this is of some help!!

Fab that gives me a few options to look at. I have had a look at colleges but I'm a bit concerned about the quality of training and the amount of time it takes. Intensive courses would probably suit me best.

A girl that was on my HND course completed her HNC in evenings an weekends at a college in Glasgow, also check out Telford college( I think it's now called Edinburgh college Granton campus) for evening classes in beauty subjects, I done my HND there and cannot recommend highly enough. However, for nails definitely go with The Fingertips ( now called The Centre) at newbridge, I have completed minx and shellac courses here and cannot recommend them highly enough.

Good luck with whatever you decide you will not regret making the leap. x

Hi there,

Not sure where in Scotland you are, but as a few folk have said, colleges often run evening classes if you're looking to go down the VTCT/ HNC/D route . There's lots of private training providers out there too doing "fast track" courses . Myself and a colleague from the college we both taught at have just recently set up a training school doing a bit of both - we're a VTCT centre but also provide the practical training for Guild (GTi) courses .
Might be worth a look at the Skills Development Scotland site , there's a course search facility on there that'll let you search your local area for providers that have registered with them .
Lots of options out there for flexible training ! Wishing you all the very best with the career change - you won't regret it :)

Thanks very much - what's better the guild or hnc/d?
There is a college in Glasgow which offers the hnc on a Mon/tues evening and sat morning but just not sure if that would be too much with trying to keep up 2/3 days a week teaching plus having a baby! Maybe the short intensive courses would fit in better - I could do these at weekends/holidays. Bottom line is I'm looking for the BEST training possible. I want to stand out from the competition and think that top class training will help me achieve that along with other things.

Should also say I'm in the central belt.

It's hard with a little one, house and job but so worth it.

My daughter was 18 months old when I started my level 3. I done 3 years total as completed my 2 years HND after my level 3. I worked weekends and studied full time and also had the daily grind of keeping house etc, although my OH does his fair share.

I'm sure the HNC course you have seen will be the same as the one I mentioned.

The way I looked at it although a lot of work and hours at the time it certainly means a change for the future, so worth it to be doing something that I love and same as you in that I done for the future of my family.

One thing I would say with the HND we covered business which included writing business plan and info on how to set up and various sources of funding and also self employment issues such as tax, registering. All of which is very useful. You can do day courses with HMRC that cover such things as well though.

Well done you - that sounds like a lot!

My husband is very supportive but not that great in the house - more training required! He already runs his own business which I've helped with (a lot!) for the last 8 years so I actually feel quite confident about that side of things. I'm going to consider all the options and weigh up the pros and cons. Cost does come into it a bit as well - the hnc/d is much cheaper than private courses but I wonder about the quality of the training.

Ok great thanks for that! I'll look into it - I take it I'll find it if I google Lime Blossom? Can I ask are you self-employed and how do you find it?

So sorry ive taken so long to get back to you! Yeah you will find lime blossom on google, give her an email she is a lovely woman! I am currently in full time employment and doing beauty at night and at the weekends, I LOVE it but i am going to be honest I am exhausted as I feel like I am working non stop. It really is worth it seeing clients happy though, I do love doing it. Hope this helps you xx

Hey!
Thanks. I think I've decided I'm going to do the CND training then add on through private training providers like Lime Blossom. That way I can fit it in round work and the baby better. I know it's more expensive but I think the convenience and quality will be worth it. Do you work from home or in a salon? I'm hoping to cut down to 2-3 days a week teaching and supplement my income with the beauty, hopefully leading eventually to a full career change. I'm currently 2 days overdue with my first baby hence all the posts on here - trying to get as much research in as possible!!

Hey!
Thanks. I think I've decided I'm going to do the CND training then add on through private training providers like Lime Blossom. That way I can fit it in round work and the baby better. I know it's more expensive but I think the convenience and quality will be worth it. Do you work from home or in a salon? I'm hoping to cut down to 2-3 days a week teaching and supplement my income with the beauty, hopefully leading eventually to a full career change. I'm currently 2 days overdue with my first baby hence all the posts on here - trying to get as much research in as possible!!

I work from home sometimes mobile, evening and weekends! Hoping to drop my hours at work soon and do it more full time. Just done my shrinking violet course with Lime Blossom today and my diary is already full for the next 2 weeks ;) Good luck in whatever you decide xx

I work from home sometimes mobile, evening and weekends! Hoping to drop my hours at work soon and do it more full time. Just done my shrinking violet course with Lime Blossom today and my diary is already full for the next 2 weeks ;) Good luck in whatever you decide xx

I was thinking of this but wasn't sure if mobile would be busy with it, obviously it is well done you. X

Sent from my GT-S5570 using SalonGeek

hi there, was wondering if ther e is any updated in Scottish courses and trainers. I would like to have good training but find that college does not fit into my current demands with having three young children! If anyone can recommend I would be grateful, thanks

Caledonian Therapy Academy run courses mainly in Glasgow and if you are a therapist or salon owner in Scotland you can get funding of 50% of your course fee x

Latest posts

Back