Treating other prying therapists?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

House Beauty

Reaction score
Hi all,

Do you have any advice for me regarding treating other therapists?

I'm totally confident with the consultation, treatments and everything...its the personal questions they ask me that are the issue.

I go and get treatments with other therapists a lot and if they ask what I do I tell them but I never go into detail or make them feel uncomfortable, I just want to enjoy myself and be relaxed. Sometimes I just say I work from home but don't say what I'm doing. I think its polite.

For some reason, I seem to attract a lot of therapists, nail technicians, massage, beauty, physio, which is great because it makes me feel like I am doing a great job when they keep coming back and they are choosing me over other places. Most of them are absolutely delightful ladies that it is a pleasure treating.

However....many do ask me a lot of intrusive questions. When I was doing research for my business plan I never would have dreamed of prying in this way. I don't know how to make it clear that they aren't to be discussing it with me.

'Do you own your house?'
'Do you rent?'
'How much is your rent/mortgage?'
'What are your business rates?'
'How much was the course you did for this and who trained you?'
'I want to learn this, how much did it cost you?'
'How much do your facial/tan/wax products cost you to buy?'
'Why is this so expensive..... x product only costs x amount'
'What wholesaler do you use?'
This is just a small sample unfortunately.

It goes on.. It got too much this weekend when a lady came for her nails and they were totally perfect but she kept grabbing my file. I should have said she is to tell me what she is not happy with and I will fix it (this never happens though like what was she doing just being rude for the sake of it..) but I already checked and checked and they were perfect. In fact I doubt they will last long as she filed all of the edges off so the edge isn't covered now and they will likely lift or be picked easily. She had the cheek to say 'when I was training I had problems with this too.' As if I had no clue what I'm doing...FYI she had trained in Gel Polish, nothing else, not even manicure and she had done it recently. I have been a therapist for 6 years. I almost blew my top. I ended up just letting her help herself because I wanted her out of there stat. The questions had been so draining and I was exhausted afterwards like she dumped her negativity on me and left it behind on her way out.

How do you deflect these ongoing intrusive questions????????????????

Last edited:
I had this a few years ago in my trade. I had someone asking lots of questions "Where do I get fonts from", "What kind of software do you use"- and I patiently answered everything (being naive)

A month later- they're on Facebook advertising themselves as a "designer" - and she's doing versions of my logos (this is besides the point, but she soon realised she wasn't going to become a millionaire over-night and moved into nails...rinse and repeat).

As far as I see there's a few options;
  • Grin and bear it- and answer the questions.
  • Massage the facts- add a few quid onto everything to put them off.
  • Refuse to answer anything, and say it's "policy".
  • This is the one I use now if someone emails me....I simply ask them why they want to know :) It's cheeky, but why not?

Hi, I've had the work related questions a lot and don't mind sharing some information about wholesaler, courses etc. as people helped me when I was training.

I've never had the personal ones such as mortgage etc and would definitely not answer things like that. Really odd.

I've had a few clients over the years who've taken the file over and at the end I just don't book them back in and give them alternative therapists numbers saying 'well, you obviously don't like the way I did them so try these people' whilst smiling sweetly. They then counter with 'no, no the treatment was great' and they don't tend to do it again or if they do then I let them go else where!

I get a few therapists too!
The first time they come I'm suspicious of them but after that they just become normal clients. I don't give much away, certainly not precise figures, I give very vague answers or ' gosh, I can't remember'....
If someone was annoying me I'd probably ask them how come they're not running their own salon and see what they say...!!

I had this a few years ago in my trade. I had someone asking lots of questions "Where do I get fonts from", "What kind of software do you use"- and I patiently answered everything (being naive)

A month later- they're on Facebook advertising themselves as a "designer" - and she's doing versions of my logos (this is besides the point, but she soon realised she wasn't going to become a millionaire over-night and moved into nails...rinse and repeat).

As far as I see there's a few options;
  • Grin and bear it- and answer the questions.
  • Massage the facts- add a few quid onto everything to put them off.
  • Refuse to answer anything, and say it's "policy".
  • This is the one I use now if someone emails me....I simply ask them why they want to know :) It's cheeky, but why not?
I love this. WHY WHY you fiend would you want to know? muahaha.

I think I will start saying its my policy as well. Because it's my boundary! Thank you so much!!!

I get a few therapists too!
The first time they come I'm suspicious of them but after that they just become normal clients. I don't give much away, certainly not precise figures, I give very vague answers or ' gosh, I can't remember'....
If someone was annoying me I'd probably ask them how come they're not running their own salon and see what they say...!!
Haha! Too right! I need to be more vague. They often catch me so offguard that the answer just comes out. I need to breathe and then answer. Or not. :D

Hi, I've had the work related questions a lot and don't mind sharing some information about wholesaler, courses etc. as people helped me when I was training.

I've never had the personal ones such as mortgage etc and would definitely not answer things like that. Really odd.

I've had a few clients over the years who've taken the file over and at the end I just don't book them back in and give them alternative therapists numbers saying 'well, you obviously don't like the way I did them so try these people' whilst smiling sweetly. They then counter with 'no, no the treatment was great' and they don't tend to do it again or if they do then I let them go else where!
Wow you are confident doing that. I very nearly did say something I just wish I had the right words!

I've said in a jokey voice "Mmm I think I'd rather not answer that question". Big smile, change subject.

Working from home is very intimate and people do think you have a relationship that means they can ask what are downright rude questions. I now have a salon and have been asked what my lessees pay, what rent I pay, what my bills are like. Aren't I lucky to have a salon (I love that one-yup pure luck).

As a point of principle I wouldn't give the info away or I would lie. My mortgage is about a million pounds a month - well it feels like that [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

I completely understand...We get clients too, that come in and ask to most obscure questions such as "Do you live near here?", "How much does it cost to run a place like this?", "Why do you use this product and not that one?", and it goes on and on. If they continue with such questions I ask "What about you? Are you making a census? Where do you work at?" Of course, I try to ask this in a polite manner, since after all, they are clients. But I try to keep in mind that outside of my salon they are salon workers/owners, but in my salon, they are clients.

Yep...all of the above.
Client's increasingly asking personal questions...
I think they're trying to gauge how much i'm 'mugging' them off per treatment! :cool:
Sometimes they catch you unawares, and YOU TELL THEM!!! :eek:
I get sooooo cross with myself when this happens, but you almost feel you have to justify/prove you are only trying to make a decent living.:(
Note to self - keep conversation as professional as possible, whilst remaining friendly....., and when they start to 'snoop'....direct the conversation back to them.;)

Wow you are confident doing that. I very nearly did say something I just wish I had the right words!

Believe me, it took years to become so blunt! [emoji2]

You'd be surprised how many times we get asked to build websites for 'web design' companies. It's crazy.

I get this a lot. I feel ambushed and put on the spot! I will definitely try verves approach and ask them why they wish to know the answer to such direct questions!

I keep it casual. Hmm I can't remember off the top of my head, so what are you upto once you're finished here today? Anything nice? X

I keep it casual. Hmm I can't remember off the top of my head, so what are you upto once you're finished here today? Anything nice? X

So simple but so hard to say for me. Its like im playing baseball with their questions and I can't bat them away fast enough. I will be confident and do it!

You can do it! After the first time it will flow of your tongue lol.

Keep them busy by asking them questions so they forget what they wanted to ask you x

Wow, grabbing the file off you?! That's pretty rude!

I think it can be rather awkward - as other people have said, the best thing is to give very vague answers and they'll soon realise they're not getting anything out of you! Or you could try deflecting the conversation back to them - most people love to talk about themselves and their lives.

Personally, if I book myself a treatment somewhere, I don't really want to tell them I'm also a qualified therapist because I don't want them to feel like I'm judging every little thing they do.

Latest posts

Back