Trimming elderly clients' nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocolatepickle

Reaction score
I've got an elderly client tomorrow. She is a neighbour.
I took a booking for a mini pedicure her as a new client the other day, for tomorrow.

Having since seen her today she mentioned she really just wanted her toe nails cut as she is going on holiday at the weekend and would like them cut for it.

I noticed her nails at a glance appear thickened, longish and some possible curving- upwards and others to the side.

I suspect after consultation based on what I saw today, only quickly however, that I may be unable to treat her.
Do I tell her to see her GP or suggest a chiropodist or both as if she does have a problem it will need treating but she also really wants them cut?

I feel really bad as I cant imagine she will be able to get them cut before her holiday if I dont do them but understand if they are contra indicated I'm not supposed to and may not be covered by my insurance.
Would anybody risk just filing or cutting them just so she can have them done?

How old is she? When you have an elderly client who has thickened nails the best thing to do is send them to a chiropodist, especially if they are diabetic. Discoloration is also a sign of a fungal infection so definitely be careful, maybe just file them really well until she can get an appointment with a chiropodist.

What are you saying are the reasons you can't cut them? Long, curved and awkward shaped nails can be tricky but not reasons not to do them. If you think there are other problems then I would refer her to a Foot Health Practitioner or a Chiropodist.

Years of working in the NHS hun. The elderly are very different to someone who has no health problems (not stating that all elderly people have health problems) and as a general rule of thumb bt do get taught (or they used to at the local colleges here) that you should never cut the skin or nails of a diabetic or elderly. Even chiropodists say you should refer them on to be treated. The difference between a chiropodist and a foot health practitioner is that the first is state registered with a governing body with ?2 years training whilst the latter is not registered and the course can be completed part time over ?6 months.
x

I only saw them at a glance but they appeared very thick, growing upwards/ curved/ oddly and possible yellowing.
I will not be able to cut them with clippers as they are too thick so filing would be the only option to shorten the length.
Does the thickness mean that a chiropodist/podiatrist is better placed to deal with these nails?
Also, if there is signs of yellowing upon examination, combined with the thickening and odd growth this may possibly suggest signs of infection which shouldnt be treated if I'm in doubt?

She is possibly around her eighties. Do thickened/ odd shaped nails occur in older people often without it being the result of infection?

Thanks for your help, I do want to help her if I can but obviously need to do what is right by my client.

If you can't cut them, could you file the length down. That may get her through til she comes back from holiday. HTH! :)

Years of working in the NHS hun. The elderly are very different to someone who has no health problems (not stating that all elderly people have health problems) and as a general rule of thumb bt do get taught (or they used to at the local colleges here) that you should never cut the skin or nails of a diabetic or elderly. Even chiropodists say you should refer them on to be treated. The difference between a chiropodist and a foot health practitioner is that the first is state registered with a governing body with ?2 years training whilst the latter is not registered and the course can be completed part time over ?6 months.
x
I've also had years of working with the NHS and I understand that you don't want to let her down but totally agree with smooth. If you are unsure don't do them and advise her to see a chiropodist.Even the slightest nick could cause severe and permanent permanent damage. I'd hate it if you weren't aware of this and by trying to be kind,as I know you are, were left feeling bad about it :hug:x

Thanks very much, i really do appreciate your input.
I think I will go down as planned and do her consultation and decide from there with a proper look if I can help.
I will take the details of a local podiatry clinic for her so she at least will know where to go if need be.
My other half was who she initially spoke to and it seems she asked if I 'do feet' to which he said "yes she does pedicures 'n stuff" and then when she did see me she asked for a pedicure, so I wonder if she has some confusion over what she wants and what i do, thats its more aesthetic then medical as she may need.
I will wait and see now as your right, I would hate to cause her more problems by just trying to help. :hug:

Latest posts

Back