Trouble with pastel colours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funtimefranko

Reaction score
Hi guysss, haven't been on in a while, i was just wondering what you lot use for things like pastel colours... i did my colleagues with a bit of mixtone and it faded green after 1 wash.... which ive now got to fix . I know obviously it fades quickly but mine never last at allllll! I don't do the pastels alot so im not highly clued up.... soooo do you use mix tone in a tint or a direct semi, or something else? Input please :) :)

If you are doing pastel colours I think it's really important to get the hair to a clean level 10 first. Then I would either tone the hair to clean out any remaining warmth, rinse and re-tone with the pastel colour but sometimes you can mix them in with the toner instead.

Pastel colours are always going to fade quickly, but if you do something that will fade back to a nice clean blonde afterwards most people are happy, otherwise they will need to have regular toners or use coloured shampoos.

Products wise I personally tend to use demi-permanent colour, it's more gentle than permanent and will often give you a more even result that direct semi's, which can also grab uneven on porous areas or fade off tone like green. But direct semis are great for more vivid tones. Demis are good for more softer, dusty or metallic tones.

I would usually take a clear colour and add a few centimeters of a darker violet/blue/red to dilute it down to a lavender/pink/peach/lillac etc. Or you can use premixed pastel toners like wella instamatic.

Yeahh it was reallly a clean level 10 i just got hopeful. (I know it needs to be a 10 just thought i could wing it lol. Mistake) i rarely get someone with a perfectly clean 10 base which is why i rarely do these colours. Thankyou for your reply x

That's ok, did you use a permanent blue mix tone last time? x

No it was colour touch /68, so yes there was some blue which i know is contributing to the green. It looked a good clean colour as i toned it beforehand like you said, it was more as i put the pastel colour on it became clear it wasnt light enough... by this point i was really peed off i had been trying lift these dark bits out allllll day

Ahh at least it will be easy to remove or maybe you can correct it with something with some more red to balance it out.

Do you thinkclarifying shampoo will get it out?i haven't seen it yet but im hoping this is all it'll take

If you have any malibu c sachets this should lift it out, otherwise a mild bleach cleanse/shampoo. /68 is violet blue right? Sounds like the violet got lost neutralizing the yellow just leaving the blue, so if you have a more straight violet colour I would use that unless you are going to relighten her.

Yes that is exactly what happened thinking about it... what are malibu c sachets? I dont really want to do any more lightening she said her hair is very dry

They are for removing build up like metals on the hair like iron and copper but will usually lift out toners too or for when people have overdone it with blue shampoo! You just mix it with water. It's basically vitamin C in a powder form.

They are for removing build up like metals on the hair like iron and copper but will usually lift out toners too or for when people have overdone it with blue shampoo! You just mix it with water. It's basically vitamin C in a powder form.

I didn't know that. I wonder if you just buy and use ascorbic acid from the chemist?

I didn't know that. I wonder if you just buy and use ascorbic acid from the chemist?

Some diy'erz use ascorbic acid. Never tried it personally.

We have pure ascorbic acid in our backwash for anyone who has green ends or to reduce discoloration. Though green ends turn into bright yellow mostly wth!

We use this and it's brilliant for lifting out Matt heaviness from home colorants and ash toners from blond ends, can mix with a clarifying shampoo to lift out a toner that's grabbed too much! Get pharmaceutical grade from reputable source

Latest posts

Back