Turning balayage to ombré and darkening light blond

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosieRose

Reaction score
I recently had balayage done.

When I booked I asked for ombré. She said, “Would you like ombré or balayage?”
“Ombré, but a little further up than usual.”
“I’ll just put you down for balayage and you can explain when you come in.”

When I came in I completely forgot about this.
The stylist started painting the hair further up than I expected.
I figured that was to blend the colour and that I didn’t need to say anything.

I asked for golden with hints of platinum, blended with my natural colour.

My natural hair is a dark slightly golden ash blond. I have never seen it replicated.

When she was finished, nearly my whole head was covered in platinum.

I am such a pushover and a people-pleaser that I didn’t say a word.

After they curled it, it did look beautiful and I thought I could learn to be satisfied so I thanked them and left.

At home, I realized that my hair has been fairly damaged. It is almost straw-like and the ends are severely frayed about an inch in some places.

The platinum is very harsh against my face and I feel quite frustrated every time I look in the mirror or think about it.
It does not suit my colour.
(Hints of it would be nice.)

Is there a way I can come close to replicating my natural hair colour, drawing the “roots” further down?
Is there a way that I can add some of that natural colour along with caramel and gold on the bottom while leaving hints of platinum?
And is there a way I can blend the bottom colours into more of a melt, ombré style?

It’s funny that the balayage doesn’t even look like balayage; it looks like regular highlights with roots showing.

I’ve been growing out my virgin hair for years.

Do I have to just redo the whole process?
Or can we use toner?
Could I do it myself with toner or hair dye?

If redoing it is too much of a process then I may just stick with the balayage and add in the colours that I’d like.
Is there a toner I could apply that would bring those colours out together?

And should I get a discount or is this only on me because I didn’t open my mouth and ask questions assertively?

Thanks very much for your help!

(...sorry for the rant... )

Personally I think they should have run through it with you, because you should have had a consultation and patch test. I also feel like you should have said something, but it's not too late. Give them a call or pop in and explain to them that you feel like you wasn't asked what you wanted and the end result istn as you expected. For an experienced stylist this should be a quick and easy fix. It's not something I would recommend doing yourself as it could end up messy and you will still be disappointed. I don't think you should have to pay for them to change the toner.

Are you saying that the colourist simply gowned you up and started painting the product on, without any further discussion?
That’s either very unprofessional, or you’ve missed out a snippet of dialogue there.

Even if you’d had an initial consultation whilst being booked in, I’d expect a second one just to confirm what you wanted doing and to check you’d had a recent skin test. If they didn’t do that, I think you have reasonable grounds for complaint.

However, you do need to practise being more assertive in these types of situation. I presume you wouldn’t allow a smiley surgeon to remove a healthy part of your body without shouting “stop, I think there’s been a serious misunderstanding”. ;)

I agree with @ronray that if you try to rectify this yourself, you’re likely to end up hating it even more. Just go back, ask for the manager and explain that you didn’t get what you’d asked for initially, you’re really not happy with the outcome and despite trying to live with it, you realise it just doesn’t suit you.

Latest posts

Back