Turning down spray tans, so frustrating!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like baggybear, I'm with salon gold. So, if like me, you weren't taught to patch test clients (unless in the case of sensitive skin or previous reaction), you will not be required to do so for all clients!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

this is extremely scary :eek::eek:

Weather or not it is a specific insurance requirement or not patch testing is one of the more important aspects of the treatment you undertake and forms an integral part of the pre tan application consultation process particularly given that you are participating and supplying a service within a commercial environment and as such you have a duty of care to best protect a paying customers welfare and exposure to possible adverse reactions and therefore possible harm or discomfort .... as well of course to best protect your own position from a possible litigation perspective and good practice as a professional ...always appropriate and better to be safe than sorry

I would highly recommend that you initiate this practice double quick :wink2:

Last edited:
Dear Ugg73,

Apologies for the delay replying to this; we didn't spot it on Salon Geek sooner. There are however a couple of things we wanted to highlight / clarify with you:

First, we do not require you to patch test for every spray tan; apologies that this has been incorrectly communicated with you. We advise in the Good Practice Guide to Patch Test for Spray Tanning 'According to Manufacturer's specifications'. This is because a tan formula contains chemicals which have the potential to cause reaction and the manufacturer themselves is best placed to assess the likelihood of this occurring. What this means is that if the manufacturer expects you to patch test every time, then we would expect you to do so because there is obviously an increased level of risk; however if they only suggest testing in the case of sensitive skin (as per Sienna X), then you are fine to only test in these cases. Spray tanning is included in the 'patch test' section, but not as a mandatory test; only as a test per the manufacturer's instructions. We apologise if this is not clear.

Second, reading further down the thread, this information has obviously been incorrectly reiterated by a member of our team. Do you know who you spoke to on Friday? We have re-briefed all staff to make sure this is not incorrectly communicated in future, however we will also look at individual training where required as well.

Finally, with regards to having more than one policy, this is not a recommended approach. Having two policies means that the liability effectively lies with neither insurer in the event of a claim and as a result you may end up paying twice for no valid insurance at all. Separate policies must cover different treatments or conditions entirely.

As an aside, when it comes to insurance claims, training will not necessarily be an appropriate defence; commonly accepted industry practices will be expected regardless of the quality of training as will an assurance that you follow manufacturers / product guidelines. This is to prevent poor quality training becoming a defence for poor practice. This isn't just a beauty industry measure, but a standard insurance practice.

Apologies for the confusion and I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Sarah
Marketing and Membership Manager

Many thanks for confirming this - I did point out the written advice in the good practice guide when I called. I'm sorry I don't recall the lady's name from my call. Obviously I'm a little upset as I have turned away a lot of business but can now revert back to the advice I received from Sienna X when I trained with them.

Kind regards for updating and clarifying BABTAC position.

Alexandra

I trained with Sienna x and was never told/taught to patch test!

So have never patch tested anyone.

:)

I had a client who has been sprayed for months by us say she had taken a reaction this time to a darker %...so I apologised and asked her to pop in for me to test a dot behind each ear to check..then she proceed so to tell me "oh this happened before cause I don't scrub or moisturise..I think my pores are so clogged by adding a shop bought one on top of yours" ... I had to walk away 😩

Exactly how I feel right now.

:)

I can imagine :hug:

listen....if you need some help its very easy and quick to set up a patch test procedure...pm me and I will happily send you info.
alternatively contact your insurers and or the brand they use and see what help they can offer you on this

don't worry to much...nothing has adversely happened thus far so you've been lucky...setting up these tests and documenting them is very simple and quick to do :wink2:

Got to say I'm Quite shocked that Soo many therapist don't patch test new clients - just wondering how / what they would do if their clients reacted to a tan ...??? ... And the fact their insurance would be void ... X
I know at least 2 people who are allergic to tan solutions of any kind .... !!!

Got to say I'm Quite shocked that Soo many therapist don't patch test new clients - just wondering how / what they would do if their clients reacted to a tan ...??? ... And the fact their insurance would be void ... X
I know at least 2 people who are allergic to tan solutions of any kind .... !!!

I have to agree...when crossing the road we all look left...right...and left again as a double check :eek:

It is concerning that those entering this industry who know now better are not being taught these things ....patch testing is designed to both best protect the intrests of the consumers best intrests and health and additionaly it also provides the ability for the "professional" undertaking the treatment to be in a position to best demonstrate that they acted in the best way possible so as to best protect the cunsumers position

not withstanding the issue of best protecting the consumers position and possibilities of discomfort and more there are possible legel litigation issues open for a damages claim here

We are professionals and we need to be ...well professional :wink2:

This is more than scary and needs addressing industry wide for all our benefits

We have already seen the complete collapse of the UV tanning sector for the reasons that are similar in a way which was predominantly driven and sped up with the extensive ensuing media coverage .

The sunless tanning sector has also been subject to some adverse publicity concerning possible cancer issues ...which whilst absolute crap :rolleyes: it is non the less damaging to our sector

Can you imagine if there are cases reported to the media of customers who have had adverse reactions to the spraytan application and ended up in hospital or worse :eek:

Lets look at the bigger picture additionally to the one of the singular customer and as a sector do everything that we can do with the resources available to us to best protect ourselves and our paying customers

Weather trained to do so or not or a requirement or not of your insurers ...for goodness sake ...be responsible and take responsibility and Patch test everyone :hug:

Personally I don't see how a patch test can show up reactions a client may have
I reactions happen to skin the solution is applied to for example some solutions cause eczema to flare up on the inside of my elbow, a dot of solution behind the ear wouldn't show this
Confused 😟

Personally I don't see how a patch test can show up reactions a client may have
I reactions happen to skin the solution is applied to for example some solutions cause eczema to flare up on the inside of my elbow, a dot of solution behind the ear wouldn't show this
Confused ��

A patch test may or may not detect every possible reaction however what this is about is acting responsibly and additionally taking "all reasonable care and steps " to best protect the interests of the consumer.

For example you as a consumer assume that the tub of moisturiser or the make up you apply to your skin has been tested and is certified as being suitable for application by you ...it is a requirement that these products also contain warnings ..I.E. may contain nuts bla bla bla

Why do you think this is done...its done to protect you from adverse reaction if you do have an allergy to nuts and that of the manufacture from litigation ..I.E. this product contains nuts... im telling you to best protect you and my position ...ive warned you so if you are allergic to them and choose to use it then that's your responsibility not ours kind of thing

When Mary Smith comes into you and pays you to apply the solution to her skin she is entitled to assume that what you are applying to her is suitable for her skin and that it is safe for her to do so
This is where pre application consultation is of the utmost importance and even more crucial that the patch test forms part of this consultation
In simple terms its the warning against nuts :eek: and best protects your position post complication :wink2:

Latest posts

Back