Types of Massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb379

Reaction score
Hi there

I'm qualified to do swedish massage and indian head massage. Have any of you gone on to do advanced massage or sports injury massage? Are you glad you took your massage skills further?

Deb379

I did a couple more courses after my swedish massage, I did Deep tissuse , Thai hand and foot massage, and Indian Head Massage

I do sports and remedial massage which comes in handy with my football team.

I did sports, remedial, indian head and part advanced.
I don't do a lot of massage but if I did it would be very useful but its a case of "use it or lose it"

Hot Stone Massage is a runaway success in my salon.
Once clients have tried it, they rarely go back to 'just' swedish !:lol:

Good question Deb. I was actually thinking of taking my massage skills that I learnt on L3 beauty therapy a bit further.
I would like to do advanced massage.
For sports massage, apparently its alot of work (not a bad thing) and you also have to be qualified in anatomy and physiology.

I guess I was wondering when you would use advanced massage, is it more for aches and pains, or deeper tissue or for lymphatic drainage? How would you advertise it as a service? Advanced massage doesn't really give away a lot in it's title.

There also seems to be a lot of "titles" for massage these days - deep tissue is that advanced or more like sports massage? Then you have lymphatic drainage massage - is that advanced or deep tissue?

It would be nice to be able to offer not just a relaxing massage but something a client feels has benefited them for aches and pains - so which one would it be?

Angelaznailz - tells us more about your hot stone massage, why do your clients prefer it

Cheers
Deb379

I Do Hot Stones, This Is A More Deeper Massage One Client Try This They Will Never Go Back To Normal Massage

I Also Do Thai Pinda Karma, This Is Deeply Relaxing With An Uplifting Feeling- The Best Treatment On The Planet (i Think) It Is Hot Compresses That Are Filled With Ginger, Lemon Grass, Kiffer Lime, Bay Leaves, Mint, Lemon Peel Ect Then Are Steamed.

You Massage With The Pinda In A Different Way To Trad Massage

I have trained in:
body/swedish massage
aromatherapy massage
Indian head massage
Tibetan head massage
Indonesian massage
Hands free massage
Thai seated massage
Hot stone massage
Ayurvedic massage
Pinda Sweda massage

I like to add bits and pieces from each treatment to tailor make it to suit the client and my mood.

I have noticed that some larger organisations devise their own 'themed' massage and state that they do various massage techniques in the treatment. To me, that gives the impression that the therapist is qualified in all of those treatments, but they arent, they learn a massage movement such as an an Indonesian massage technique.

There also seems to be a lot of "titles" for massage these days - deep tissue is that advanced or more like sports massage? Then you have lymphatic drainage massage - is that advanced or deep tissue?
They're all called different names because they do different things.

Lymphatic drainage is used to get the lymph system moving and assist in the removal of metabolic waste, fluid and toxins from the body.

Sports massage is used for pre, during and post sport - ie, to warm up the muscles and stretch before a sporting event, massage during the sporting event to keep muscles warm and post massage to help cut down on any muscles soreness after the sporting event. Basically to help the athlete be in peak physical condition for their sport.

Deep tissue uses different techniques to effect the deeper underlaying muscles - hence the name deep tissue.

Most of my work is remedial massage which is used to treat specific health issues, injuries and muscluoskeletal problems. This helps break down scar tissue, restore elasticity to joints, create greater mobility of joints, increase blood flow, increase lymphatic flow, improve circulation, balance muscles and joints, reduce pain, swelling and inflammation. I also use a lot of PNF stretches.

In my opinion anything other than the basic massage could be classified as advanced but all massages -whatever the title - use specific moves to effect the body in specific ways.

It depends what you are hoping to achieve with your clients as to what will be the best courses to take.

I eventually want to get into bowen therapy which is a type of cross-fibre manipulation to compliment what I already do.

When a client comes to see me, I do a combination of techniques dependant on what is wrong with the person. I'll use deep tissue moves, sports moves, remedial moves, pnf. I let the persons body guide me .

I have noticed that some larger organisations devise their own 'themed' massage and state that they do various massage techniques in the treatment. To me, that gives the impression that the therapist is qualified in all of those treatments, but they arent, they learn a massage movement such as an an Indonesian massage technique.

I agree some of the big companies do devise their own themed techniques but not all.

I went to a salon recently whom said they did Thai Pindas, she was trained by them too.

OMG

She did not know any of the Thai background why pindas were used, all the contras, massage tech,ect, what a waste of money. The pindas were full of clay too, a wasted course and wasted products.

Last edited by a moderator:
I qualify in July for ITEC Holistic massage therapy,does this mean that I will be exempt from the body massage module in NVQ L3 beauty therapy? I want to do a hot stone massage course this summer,where is a good place to train?
xx

Angelaznailz - tells us more about your hot stone massage, why do your clients prefer it

Cheers
Deb379[/quote]

My clients think that it's more relaxing, probably because of the heat from the stones and the soporific effect they have when used. It's also a bit firmer than hand massage, because of the hardness (inflexibility) of the stones. Also, my clients lie on hot stones(inside a towel) and have them around their body during the treatment, and therefore feel more 'cosy' and cossetted.
HTHs
:hug:

Latest posts

Back