Understaffed and up the creek....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saucygirl

Reaction score
I have recently, 6 weeks ago, opened a small nail salon. It is only me that works there, but I've been posting for another nail tech since my second week.

Rules for qualifications are very strict, and the qualified techs usually leave our small town and head off to the big city-nowhere close to home.

The only other nail shops are 4 NSS, run by two families. They are in adjoining towns, about 25 kms in either direction.

I have been super busy, and need a tech to help.

Just when I thought I couldn't handle anymore, today there was a huge drug bust...and you guessed it, 2 of the 4 NSS were shut down indefinitely for drug trafficking!

My phone is on fire, my book is filled, completely for the next 3 weeks, and now I have a huge influx of new clients that need to be fit in.

I really hate to turn anyone away, as this is my reputation and I don't want to be seen as always booked and unaccommodating....but without any help, what am I to do?

Any geeks have some advice?

I have recently, 6 weeks ago, opened a small nail salon. It is only me that works there, but I've been posting for another nail tech since my second week.

Rules for qualifications are very strict, and the qualified techs usually leave our small town and head off to the big city-nowhere close to home.

The only other nail shops are 4 NSS, run by two families. They are in adjoining towns, about 25 kms in either direction.

I have been super busy, and need a tech to help.

Just when I thought I couldn't handle anymore, today there was a huge drug bust...and you guessed it, 2 of the 4 NSS were shut down indefinitely for drug trafficking!

My phone is on fire, my book is filled, completely for the next 3 weeks, and now I have a huge influx of new clients that need to be fit in.

I really hate to turn anyone away, as this is my reputation and I don't want to be seen as always booked and unaccommodating....but without any help, what am I to do?

Any geeks have some advice?

This IS what you want hun......when people are always booked,it tells us they are good,clients come back to them for a reason,which is,YOUR GOOD.

Now i would just book people in ,if they have to wait ,they will,you cant do them all,but ,yo are booked in a time when everyone is finding it hard,so thank your lucky stars ....well done xxxxxxxxx

I agree with SJ1973 - being in high demand is an EXCELLENT thing! Have you tried posting an ad for help on Craigslist?! It's a great low-cost/free resource. Also, do you have any beauty schools near you? See if you can get a newly graduated student - make sure you give them a skill test before hiring though. I had a boss who would hire people without a skill test or checking references....needless to say there was ALWAYS drama.

Just an idea, don't know how it would work with your state/county regulations - could you take on a junior who could be taught very quickly to help with prep, finishing, enamel application, manicuring even??? What would normally take you an hour could possibly be cut to 40 mins, allowing you to take in more clients.

This is obviously just a short term, quick-response measure, for a crisis-situation. But what a fantastic, positive crisis to have:)

The very best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with SJ1973 - do you have any beauty schools near you? See if you can get a newly graduated student - make sure you give them a skill test before hiring though.

This is a great idea, head over to the local school recruit some help, they dont need to do the full sets just set you up for your next clients, and answer the phone. You dont need to keep them if they dont work out and by then word of mouth would have spread and someone will drop their CV in.

Thanks guys for your replies.
I did contact the schools in my area (there's only 2) and all the other schools within a 500km radius. So far no bites....

I'll just keep plugging away, I'm only one person, so I can only do what I can do.

I know out of all the possible problems a new salon owner can face, I've probably got a really 'good' one.

Wow, drama or what! But, all good news, if your busy then your not up the creek! I am going through a similar scenario, my nail tech is SO busy that she cant have time off bless her, we've posted the job up eveywhere and also got hold of a few techs but they've said no due to work commitments. Also tried someone who thought they were trained in nails but were actually crap! Our local college has just stopped doing an NVQ in Nails too so Techs are very thin on the ground :(.

In your case, I would try the local colleges, put it in local papers and job websites for a trainee with experience. I know your dead busy at the mo, but if you can just squeeze in some time to train someone up who can just do the simpler services, you'll be on to a winner.

Just dont let the quality of your work slip due to you being so busy.

Good luck!

Just continue to fill up the book! :green: Is there anyone you can train up to standard? how bout beauty therapists? anyone your in contact with from when you trained yourself?

Latest posts

Back