Undertones

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissMuggle

Reaction score
could someone please tell me the correct undertones of all hair depth as i think i know, but then see conflicting posts which throw me and make me doubt my own knowledge. I'm terrible for always thinking there's someone out there who knows better than myself and this makes me doubt my own knowledge and ability. Thanks:confused:

could someone please tell me the correct undertones of all hair depth as i think i know, but then see conflicting posts which throw me and make me doubt my own knowledge. I'm terrible for always thinking there's someone out there who knows better than myself and this makes me doubt my own knowledge and ability. Thanks:confused:

Each colour house will have a slightly different undertones or strengths. Best thing to do is get hold of a lightening curve from that colour house. In wella its
2/0 - Darkest brown 0/45
3/0 - reddish/brown 0/45
4/0 - reddish/orange 0/45
5/0 - orange 0/45 -0/43
6/0 - Orange/yellow 0/43
7/0 - yellow 0/43 - 0/33
8/0 - yellow 0/33
9/0 - pale yellow 0/33
10/0 - very pale yellow 0/33
You can use ur own knowledge and bend the rules slightly depending on your desired result. Mixing these in different strengths will give you the undertone requird. (the darker the depth, the more tone needed)

Each colour house will have a slightly different undertones or strengths. Best thing to do is get hold of a lightening curve from that colour house. In wella its
2/0 - Darkest brown 0/45
3/0 - reddish/brown 0/45
4/0 - reddish/orange 0/45
5/0 - orange 0/45 -0/43
6/0 - Orange/yellow 0/43
7/0 - yellow 0/43 - 0/33
8/0 - yellow 0/33
9/0 - pale yellow 0/33
10/0 - very pale yellow 0/33
You can use ur own knowledge and bend the rules slightly depending on your desired result. Mixing these in different strengths will give you the undertone requird. (the darker the depth, the more tone needed)

ur so good can i come work with u hahahaha jk

lol

Thank you piercednige. Very helpful as i don't have much pre pig experience. What are the undertone stages when lightening hair?

Thank you piercednige. Very helpful as i don't have much pre pig experience. What are the undertone stages when lightening hair?

Do u mean Wat do u expose when lightening??

U expose the undertones listed above as u lighten. So if ur lifting to a 9/0 u aim for a pale yellow and then tone

Do u mean Wat do u expose when lightening??

U expose the undertones listed above as u lighten. So if ur lifting to a 9/0 u aim for a pale yellow and then tone

see i was taught this:-
9- yellow
8- yellow/orange
7- orange
6- orange/red
5- red
4- red
3-red
2- red

anything 6 and above pre pig with gold or copper
anything below 6 use red (no gold/copper)
As a general rule, is that right? xx

Last edited:
Lol I'm not. I'm just a but sad an love the theory side too :)

I totally love the theory side of things too and need to know every little detail lol. which Is why I ask so many questions, but again that's how we all learn. xoxoxo

see i was taught this:-
9- yellow
8- yellow/orange
7- orange
6- orange/red
5- red
4- red
3-red
2- red

anything 6 and above pre pig with gold or copper
anything below 6 use red (no gold/copper)
As a general rule, is that right? xx

As a general rule i would say that's fine :)

What I was taught:

10- palest yellow
9 - pale yellow
8 - yellow
7 - orange/yellow
6 - orange
5 - red/orange
4 - red
3 - red
2 - red
1 - red

Tigi have a colour chart specifically for this called lightening progression ill take a pic when im back at worj its proved an invaluable tool especially for training purposes x

here's a wee pic of the wella lightening curve that i refer to for pre pigging xxx

Attachments

• lightning curve_2.JPG
    lightning curve_2.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 966
here's a wee pic of the wella lightening curve that i refer to for pre pigging xxx

thanks you for that. where did you get the lightening curve from?xx

Ah I see. Do you need to do a specific Wella colour course to get one or can you by one??? Xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

i got mine at college lovie, we use wella there, i'll try and get my hands on a spare one for you xxx

There you go x

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-17-22-58-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-17-22-58-07.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 124

Latest posts

Back