undertones??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprinkles

Reaction score
Hi geeks

I would really like your help understanding something I've just read in Scratch magazine,
Leighton Denny's article gives advice on choosing the right nail colour for each clients natural colouring and explains, for example, that someone with fair skin would suit wine reds with a blue undertone or beige with pink undertones.
I have heard of undertones before in enamel and make up but don't have a clue how to tell what colour undertone they are!:o . Help please!

(by the way I love the cover of Sratch this month:Love: !)

Awwww! come on geeks, someone must know...... (or is it that my question doesn't make sense:lol: )

your question does make sense... I don't know how to tell either.
sometimes you can look at a bottle of polish and see the shimmery colours in it, cnd Beau has yellowy tones in it which are better on darker complexions, Negligee has bluey tones which are better on paler complexions, I hope I've got that the right way round lol
maybe you'll have more luck later on when some more Geeks are online.

Hiya!
Im not entirely sure and really poo at explaining things but ill try!

Im really fair (actually pale- milk bottle white is the term i think!), so i have natural 'blue undertones' in my skin. you can just tell!
A bit darker/warmer will have 'blue , neutral and pink undertones'
Darker skin can have 'red, pink and yellow undertones'. Yellow undertones can be called sallow.

I can get technical if you want :biggrin: ! The pigment in the epidermis, blood circulation and fat determine the tones.

Try holding the bottle next to their skin, colours with pink undertones and ones with blue undertones would match my natural colouring. the ones with blue undertones would look more natural but make me look colder though, like a blusher with blue undertones would. so it depends what effect you want. ive got cnd spike enamel on my toes at the mo so makes me look colder because its deep red but i love it! if it was a pink it would give a warmer effect. im sorry if that doesnt make any sense!

I did a colour theory course last year, and found it really really helpful, with regards to the different color tones within other colours. You have a colour wheel, which has all the colours in the rainbow on. You have primary, secondary and tersary colours. Its really quite technical! Basically every colour has a tone, for instance, you get orange reds, or blue reds, or greeny blues for example. I did my colour theory at my local college, and it was really helpful. Im sorry im so rubbish at describing it more in full!

thanks guys, think I'm starting to understand now:lol: ,

I'm wearing cnd spike aswell and have noticed that it seems to 'drain' the colour from my hands (but it's suuuch a nice colour!)

keep your replys coming geeks... I'll get the hang this, eventually.

To detemine the undertone of person take a look at the underside of thier forearm. If they have veins that are more blue in colour then they probably have pinkish undertones. If the veins are green then the undertones are more yellow or golden. hth xxx

Latest posts

Back