Unhappy client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelajane

Reaction score
Hi all im looking for a bit of advice, I done a clients nails yesterday, full set L+P with polish, all was going well, no problems, asked if if the length was ok for her everything was fine, finished with her paying and a cheery goodbye. Few hours later got a message saing she smudged all the polish and was in process of taking it of and she was not happy at all with the nails, eventually i found out that it was the length she wasnt happy with made her nails look silly, so i replied by saying why didnt you tell me at the time and to come to me asap, i was free and would either remove for free or rectify the problem for free, if she couldnt do it last night i would keep a slot free for her today, just came on to find another message saying she never had a chance to look at her nails as i told her to keep her hands down so i could work, but i clearly remember her saying while she was looking at them when i had finished that they were very shiny (before polish was applied), not a word about how unhappy she was, she said she had ripped them all off and her nails were killing her and now wants a refund. not sure what to do now as i gave her every chance to come back and get them fixed. any advice would be grateful, never had this before so want to deal with it properly. xx

If she has ripped them off after you offered to see here on 2 separate days, then I'm sorry she does not deserve a refund, you said you would rectify in many ways and if she is silly enough to remove them herself and do damage to her nails and cause herself pain well that's her problem and issue (I'm not going to say what I would like to add here)

You have done everything possible to be obliging, so I would not worry, make sure you keep all her messages and yours, so you have proof you did offer and try to rectify her issues.

Hugs hun I know it can make you feel down, but don't let it, you tried, she then took it unto herself to remove them.

Thanks for reply, i am gutted, not so much the client (because i know in my heart i tried hard to fix them and saying i was sorry for upsetting her, she said she cried for ages as she was so upset with them) but how it will effect my reputation. x

A refund? All that was needed by the sound of it was a bit taking off the length!

Why would she rip them off? You'd think she'd at least have a go at them with a file herself. And freshly applied nails must have been torture to pull off.

HAS she definitely pulled them off? Have you seen her since?

I struggle to believe anyone would be so stupid as to rip off a nice new set when they just needed a bit of tweaking. Crying? Clearly nothing much else has gone wrong in her life if nails make her cry. Sorry but :rolleyes: Makes me wonder if she's trying it on just to get a refund? Call me a cynic.

i havent seen her, she said no point in coming as they were all ripped off, she said she has been really low at the moment and little things set her of, at first she slated them saying all sorts were wrong but when she calmed down she said it was the length of the tips to amount of nail looked silly so took them off. Think if i tell her im not giving her a refund something will kick off :sad:

Ah ok, so not just the length then but more the proportions? Was it a French set with white tips? x

Yes but when we discussed what she wanted i suggested a little french tip already cut small as it would suit her nail size but she said no she wanted the long tips cut to size, and when i applied them and cut them i asked if she was happy with how it looked and length, maybe i should have insisted the she went with the pre cut smaller french tip, but i done what she wanted. I have learned a lesson, try to advice client more as to what i think is best.

Reading between the lines it sounds like you're gonna refund..... if you do, get her to come round to collect IN PERSON so you can check those nails are off.....I still can't get my head round her ripping them off like that. Tell her the refund only stands if she can collect it within 24 hours, not after 3 weeks when she may have had the pleasure of her nails and then removed them. :evil:

Not saying you SHOULD refund, far from it, just your post made me think you would :hug: Yes you certainly live and learn with nails x

Firstly hun I really don't think this will effect your reputation, if someone said to me, I had some nails done and they were not what I liked so I ripped them all off, I wouldn't think ok salon must be terrible, I'd think she was mad to rip them off, I think she is trying it on, I can't also see her sitting for ages crying about them, you offered to correct them to her standard, I'm sorry but she is a idiot for ripping them off and not coming back to you, you did everything you could for her, she is not entitled to a refund, if she gets shirty say, can you come to the salon/me with all the nails, so I can see them and as said I will do you a new set foc, but I can't now do them now until your nails are healthy and not sore because you removed them yourself and as im a good tec i could not do this
Knowing the nail bed has had some trauma, so a new set which will be a few weeks.

I agree with blossom so adding this. Make sure that whatever you agree she comes within 24hrs or no treatments will be forthcoming

Thanks so much for your replies, but i really dont think i will refund as i know i done everything she asked and gave her plenty of opportunity to comment on what was happening involving her all the way and after the message saying she was unhappy, i asked her to come round asap or today if it suited best for me to rectify but she declined and said she had ripped them off, so i know i wont refund but my problem is telling her lol x and your right i have learned from this x

Maz, sorry if i sound stupid but what is foc ?? and ps thanks for your reply x

free of charge x

Yep free of charge

I know its hard refusing a client something, but once you have done it once it gets easier, just think if you gave in you could have a sudden influx of clients doing this, having nails for a night out, removing them and demanding refund, reason being she has told a few friends who think lol freebie time!

Your doing the right thing and have done everything's right, she's wrong

I'd go have a chocy bar and then let her know, choc n tea always gives me courage lol

Hugs x

There's no pleasing some people. Keep your chin up sounds like you've done everything you can x

Let us know what she says x

Thanks so much everyone, ive just told her that i will not be giving her a refund, lets see what happens now, thanks again everyone for making me feel much better about the situation, its the first to happen to me in a year, i so do hope there wont be many others but thanks to you all for advice xxx

I know you've already received great advice here but this really burns my biscuits!

She had countless opportunities to tell you how she wanted her nails to look. She also had countless opportunities to tell you she wasn't satisfied with the nails before you finished. You also have gone out of your way to make things right. Now she wants her money back? Uh...NO!

Instead she allowed you to go ahead and finish up this apparently horrific set of nails while she sat and watched. On top of that, she still insisted on PAYING YOU for them?! You're either an amazing con artist or she's an idiot. When she left your work station and paid you, she became the owner of those nails. PERIOD.

Sounds to me like she wanted a beautiful set of nails for the evening. Now she has no use for them anymore and she'd like her money back. Perhaps a little "buyer's remorse?"

There are no refunds in this business. You spent money on product and then there is the issue of your time...and time is money. If she "ripped" the nails off then there's nothing for you to make right.

Kick her to the curb.

Last edited:
And I wouldn't offer her a free set in the future either, you really don't want clients like this on your books. If your good at what you do you will build up a client base in no time, but building a good client base takes time and a lot of patience, you've handled the situation in a professional manner :)

Absolutely NO refund!

Your client has paid for your time and products. It's up to her what happens to them once she leaves. If there is a problem and she has removed them instead of having them rectified, her problem!

It would obviously need wording in a tactful way but that is the long and short of it in my opinion xx

Latest posts

Back