URGENT- Set up advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nat Tov

Reaction score
Hi Peeps, I have just been advised that my work are having a nail bar in the new health spa we have built and my employer has asked for my advise on the nail bar set up. (He knows I do nails mobile out of work) Can you all back me up with the essentials to consider so I don't forget anything as salon must be different to mobile? This could be the start/break I was looking for! Really appreciate your views to essentials to be considered.

Come on guys, help me out here. My instant thoughts are to ensure there is ventilation and filteration. Lighting has to be sufficient obviously, contamination & hygeine will be the tech's responcibility and desks I guess depend upon what look they want to achieve. Are there any specific requirements needed for the nail bar set up in a salon? I've only ever been mobile so i'm unsure. I'd appreciate some help from you all. What did you consider when setting up? They're thinking of a mobile service so someone who is having a treatment can have someone come along and do they're nails at the same time! I don't think this is really a good option.

The main difference between mobile and salon is you're static. So all your peripherals - sanitiser, tools, couch roll, gel, l&p, files etc etc will be the same. It's just that you need to invest in a good desk and chairs which are comfortable and with good extraction.

Just give us some idea exactly what you mean and I'll give you all the help I can. xxx

Thanks Sassy for your responce. Hi Kimmi, There going to ask me about the requirements for a nail bar and like I said, I'm mobile so I don't know if it's different being a salon? Apart from the ventilation & filteration I'm guessing nothing will be different. Is there anything that needs to be thought of for a static set up? Like Sassy said, comfort is essential. Do I need to bring anything else to their attention? It's always best asking those who have the knowledge and you've all always been so helpful. Anything anyone thinks of will be a help:hug:

If it's within an establised spa then all the bookings etc will have been taken care of. Where do you work, sounds like a fab place that they have their own health spa.

I work for the Property Department at a Leisure Resort called, TLH in Torquay. I help buy the hotels equipment and work with the maintenance team. The new Health Spa is not open yet but will be very soon. I'm kinda hoping they'll let me run the nail bar. Fingers crossed, that's why I want to be as helpful as possible!

Hi Nat Tov

Have you contacted your local authority Environmental Health department? They should be helpful in health and safety issues, disposing of flammable product etc.

Nat Tov said:
I work for the Property Department at a Leisure Resort called, TLH in Torquay. I help buy the hotels equipment and work with the maintenance team. The new Health Spa is not open yet but will be very soon. I'm kinda hoping they'll let me run the nail bar. Fingers crossed, that's why I want to be as helpful as possible!

Umm, Thanks Tash. Another good point. How do salons dispose of their waste??

You'll need metal bins
You'll need to speak to your local Council about disposal of the rubbish
You'll need first aid kits
You'll need eye wash kits
You'll need an accident book
You'll need MSDS
You'll need retail display cabinets
You'll need handwashing facilities/dyers/paper towels/etc

erm.......erm........ermmm :rolleyes:

Stuck now...............

T

Trinity Nails said:
You'll need metal bins
You'll need to speak to your local Council about disposal of the rubbish
You'll need first aid kits
You'll need eye wash kits
You'll need an accident book
You'll need MSDS
You'll need retail display cabinets
You'll need handwashing facilities/dyers/paper towels/etc

erm.......erm........ermmm :rolleyes:

Stuck now...............

T

Great stuff Trin! Blonde question, whats MSDS??

Material Safety Data Sheet

NailNovice2 said:
Material Safety Data Sheet
thanks Chris. I assume this is a manual stored for tech use on Material Safety!? and to be in salon at all times.

MSDS are provided by the suppliers on request and every salon should hold an MSDS for each product in use in the salon. These sheets should be kept in a easy to find location and are very useful in the event of spillages, fire, etc.

Got ya! So, depending who's products they decide to use - this is where they get em. Secret Bible ah.....

Won't COSHH apply here too? And insurance, and like someone has said The Health and Safty Act

Nat Tov said:
Got ya! So, depending who's products they decide to use - this is where they get em. Secret Bible ah.....

Yes, it is all part of H&S. I was just answering what a MSDS was.

Nat Tov said:

No babe - MSDS is for accidents and the like - if someone was to get monomer in their eye for instance, you would take them to hospital and take the MSDS with you for that particular product. It gives all the chemical make up, antidotes, irritation levels, etc.

The fire brigade would be interested too as it details flamability etc.

Trin
xx

mamma said:
Won't COSHH apply here too? And insurance, and like someone has said The Health and Safty Act

If they are already running a spa then they should already ahve COSHH and Public Liability, etc. sorted

Trinity Nails said:
If they are already running a spa then they should already ahve COSHH and Public Liability, etc. sorted
Yep all in hand! Thanks for clarifying the MSDS for me. I get it now. Cheers chick.

Latest posts

Back