Urrghh, another salon!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kim68

Reaction score
I have recently been informed that there is another salon opening up about 10 units up from me!
I run an established salon (over 12 years) in an area which already has 4 salons and 2 barbers. When I first heard this I looked on the local council planning application site and there were no applications for the new salon, the unit which is being taken over is a retail premises so surly this new salon owner would have to gain planning permission?
I contacted the local council but they can't give out information without a reference number and the local MP is a waste of space.

I've heard the new salon is due to open end of this month, no doubt undercutting all established salons in the area, we are all fuming!!

I guess it's to late to do anything about it now, but I just wanted to have a rant...URRGGGHHHH!!!

Why do you assume the new salon is going to undercut the established salons in your area?
There's lots of salons where mine is and we all seem to do ok. Just make sure yours is the best and your clients will stay with you as they will know the quality of service you give :)

It is a pity that there is another salon opening so close to existing ones. Hopefully there's enough business to go around and maybe this salon will target a different client base.

You need to make sure that your salon looks fab when compared to the bright and shiny new salon - so take a quick look at the outside and reception area in particular to make sure your salon still looks fab.

You should also think about running a special offer or loyalty scheme around the time the new salon opens. Do you have loyalty cards? Refer a friend cards / schemes?

Do you have any new products or services you could introduce to differentiate yourself from the other salons in the area - and in particular the new salon.

I hope this helps?

If the building is classed for use as A1 retail which most units are it is suitable for CLASS A1: SHOPS

Use for all or any of the following purposes:

a. for the retail sale of goods other than hot food,
b. as a post office,
c. for the sale of tickets or as a travel agency,
d. for the sale of sandwiches or other cold food for consumption off the premises,
e. for hairdressing,
f. for the direction of funerals,
g. for the display of goods for sale,
h. for the hiring out of domestic or personal goods or articles,
i. for the washing or cleaning of clothes or fabrics on the premises,
j. for the reception of goods to be washed, cleaned or repaired, where the sale, display or services is to visiting members of the public,
k. Internet Cafes
Class A1 EXCLUDES amusement arcades, amusement centres and funfairs. Paragraphs (i) and (j) do not permit launderettes, but do include dry cleaners. Motor fuel, motor vehicles and car hire are also excluded.

So there is not much that you can do unfortunately. xx

I recently did a makeover inside the salon, new chairs, basins and a general de-clutter.. we had new window graphics 18 months ago and I have the front painted every year so I know the salon is kept up to scratch, but I understand your comments about this and how important the outside looks to potential clients.
My staff are all self-employed so loyalty cards are a little complicated, as the team have their own discount structures, but they do all participate in special offer advertising
Its just a bit of a worry in this current economic climate as client spend over the last year/6 months has reduced. I know our regular clientele are happy with the service they receive as I often do quality of service questionaires

Thank you for your comments, I just needed to get it off my chest and you guys are great listeners

We are based in a small village and have us and another salon about 5 min walk from us.
In the village 1.5 miles up the road we have another salon and 1 very well known home based salon.In the village 1 mile the other way we also have another established salon.
We dont seem to affect each other as we are firmly busy and at the moment ran off our feet!
I dont feel threatened by another salon at all.We just like to make sure our service is 110% ,100% of the time and the products we offer are high end so we offer something different to the others.
We are also a salon that works along side our product/colour company alot and often have salon staff from other salons in and outside of the uk come to us for a few days at a time to see the product work,so we have alot of things going on here!
Dont sweat it x:biggrin:

If the building is classed for use as A1 retail which most units are it is suitable for CLASS A1: SHOPS

Use for all or any of the following purposes:

a. for the retail sale of goods other than hot food,
b. as a post office,
c. for the sale of tickets or as a travel agency,
d. for the sale of sandwiches or other cold food for consumption off the premises,
e. for hairdressing,
f. for the direction of funerals,
g. for the display of goods for sale,
h. for the hiring out of domestic or personal goods or articles,
i. for the washing or cleaning of clothes or fabrics on the premises,
j. for the reception of goods to be washed, cleaned or repaired, where the sale, display or services is to visiting members of the public,
k. Internet Cafes
Class A1 EXCLUDES amusement arcades, amusement centres and funfairs. Paragraphs (i) and (j) do not permit launderettes, but do include dry cleaners. Motor fuel, motor vehicles and car hire are also excluded.

So there is not much that you can do unfortunately. xx

Thanks Rachael, I did look into this but couldn't find the info x

My salon is in a small town that has 1 high street and about 10 other salons in it! In fact, all we seem to have are hair salons, takeaways and pubs...(says alot for us Forest Folk eh??)
My point is, I prefer to see it as something that ensures I stay ahead of the game. We are high end in our salon, so people come to us for quality, not a cheap hair do. If you use it to your advantage and keep making sure youre offering something other salons arnt, then you will do well out of this. I mean, they may come and try the new salon, not like it, then try yours instead...
xxxx

I have always believed in quality products, education and customer service which is why after almost 13 years the salon is still recommended by many.

I agree with JoJo and will have to look at it as a way of keeping me on my toes!
:biggrin:

I have always believed in quality products, education and customer service which is why after almost 13 years the salon is still recommended by many.

I agree with JoJo and will have to look at it as a way of keeping me on my toes!
:biggrin:

you know you offer the best and your high end so dont doubt yourself.They may try the new place like a few of ours did but they normally always return and the ones that dont are normally the clients that see hair as a chore,not a treat.xx

I know the area where you are well, and yes there is A LOT of competition.

Use it as an opportunity to revamp your advertising. When they do their launch, advertising etc, do some as well so clients won't forget about you.

Introduce 'hairmiles' to encourage loyalty so you don't forget your existing clientelle. Almost act as though you are relaunching so the emphasis is on your salon and not theirs.

My salon is in a small town that has 1 high street and about 10 other salons in it! In fact, all we seem to have are hair salons, takeaways and pubs...(says alot for us Forest Folk eh??)
My point is, I prefer to see it as something that ensures I stay ahead of the game. We are high end in our salon, so people come to us for quality, not a cheap hair do. If you use it to your advantage and keep making sure youre offering something other salons arnt, then you will do well out of this. I mean, they may come and try the new salon, not like it, then try yours instead...
xxxx

great minds think alike :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back