Used Sunbed query - PLEASE HELP

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailschick

Reaction score
Hi geeks

Im hoping some of you salon owners can help me out on this one.

I have been offered a Hex stand up sun bed. One is 3 years old and the other is 5.
I have contacted Hex directly for prices and the work out new at about €8,500 + delivery from states.

It needs new bulbs and they can usually cost €2,500 every 2 years. These beds both need bulbs replaced and the owner can get me them for €800 through a contact of hers.

She has asked me to make her an offer - What would you think is a reasonable offer?

Thanks in advance

Nailschick :)

offer her nuthin, work it out, how much you will charge, how much to maintain, how much electricity, how long it will take to get that return AND HOW DANGEROUS THEY ARE, i got rid of 4...... in the end i felt guilty selling the tanning service after i had 3 skin cancers burnt off..... yeah, you can hide behind a disclaimer...... but can you sleep at night?

At this years trade show, there were so few tanning beds, usually there are heaps, solariums are a dying moneymaker. IMHEO

offer her nuthin, work it out, how much you will charge, how much to maintain, how much electricity, how long it will take to get that return AND HOW DANGEROUS THEY ARE, i got rid of 4...... in the end i felt guilty selling the tanning service after i had 3 skin cancers burnt off..... yeah, you can hide behind a disclaimer...... but can you sleep.
At this years trade show, there were so few tanning beds, usually there are heaps, solariums are a dying moneymaker. IMHO

I agree

I think you'd find spray tanning worth looking into, it gives very good returns on your investment. But if you are adamant you want a tanning bed then be careful buying second hand equipment, at the very least get it PAT tested

Hi geeks

Thanks for your responses.

I already do spray tanning.

I wanted this as an add on service. With these beds you can only go on it for a max of 10 mins every 48 hours. Also minutes are prescribed as per your skin tone. I am obliged to let my clients know the dangers etc.

I do agree with you but I do belive that everything in moderation is ok.

Thanks again - I would love to hear more views...

NC :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2935875.stm

I am guessing you wouldn't be handing this out to clients it recommends not to use them at all, but if you do that 10 sessions A YEAR is the maximum.

This does not sound like much of a money spinner if you stand by "everything in moderation"!

Just thought you should read it x x x :)

Hi babe, check out the electric connection needs for this, you may need to have a special feed.... 3 phase or 5 phase not sure..... they are not plug in and go.... just a thought xxxx

OK I'm not an expert on sunbeds but I do work in a tanning salon. They get a lot of use here, it may not be good for you, but that's the way it is.
My boss did a similar thing and re-tubed the lot and had a few problems, by the time she had done this (3 stand ups and 2 lie downs) she could have probably done a better deal by buying new.
Like I say, I'm not an expert but I know that, in the long run, it has cost a few quid.

offer her nuthin, work it out, how much you will charge, how much to maintain, how much electricity, how long it will take to get that return AND HOW DANGEROUS THEY ARE, i got rid of 4...... in the end i felt guilty selling the tanning service after i had 3 skin cancers burnt off..... yeah, you can hide behind a disclaimer...... but can you sleep at night?

At this years trade show, there were so few tanning beds, usually there are heaps, solariums are a dying moneymaker. IMHEO

Hi Nailschick

Hope you are well.

As someone who had to have a major operation to remove a tumour that turned out to be benign (ok it wasn't due to sunbeds but why put yourself at risk of something similar!) I am afraid I have to agree with Nail Zoo here!I think sunbeds are totally last year, I know that there are loads of tanning places on every high street and I hope that they can sleep well at night. I can actually see big court cases in the future, even though clients are signing disclaimers!

Also seeing so many people with such skin damage in the proffesion we work in, doesn't it kind of contradict itself? trying to counter act skin damage on one hand and taking it away with the other?

I apologise if this sounds really awful but being 29 and faced with the big 'C' changes my view on life, it makes you realise how precious it is. Are sun beds really worth the risk?

I hope that this sounds constructive because I certainly mean it to be that way.

K x

Latest posts

Back