Using a blog on your OWN website

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinkywinky

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm back in force with questions galore.

I'm wondering after attending a business link seminar, if anyone regularly uses a blog on their own website?

Apparently changing your website frequently helps you to appear high in the listings in search engines.

Now I'm not sure what to put in a blog; I'm going to learn Thai Foot Massage, should I add stuff in about that?

Hardly think Oh I've been to the shops today and bought a new top kind of blog isn't what I need to be doing here.

Any advice on writing professional blogs would be appreciated.

Thanks xxx

Well, I'm guessing that this would be easiest if your website is built using Wordpress or some other form of content management system, that lets you log in and easily update your site content.

For a business website, I'd be more inclined to call it a "news" page rather than a "blog" page though - so for a beauty website, it could have entries in such as special offers/promotions, details of new treatments, news of when a new therapist joins the team, etc.

It would certainly make a web site more interesting though - for human beings as well as search engines, as you'd appear to be a more "dynamic" salon if your site is updated frequently with news and details of promotions etc.

Hi!

I'm back in force with questions galore.

I'm wondering after attending a business link seminar, if anyone regularly uses a blog on their own website?

Apparently changing your website frequently helps you to appear high in the listings in search engines.

Now I'm not sure what to put in a blog; I'm going to learn Thai Foot Massage, should I add stuff in about that?

Hardly think Oh I've been to the shops today and bought a new top kind of blog isn't what I need to be doing here.

Any advice on writing professional blogs would be appreciated.

Thanks xxx

I really wouldnt be inclined to put a blog in your webpages, I dont know if you realise but blogs were intended to be used by people who havent got a clue about web design, dont get me wrong blogs are a good way to help create new content and search engines do see them as human generated updates which is a good thing, but it wont help as much as other ways of trying to reach the top.

Google uses many different ways to decide(which it does change quite regularly) if you should be at the top, finding what those many things are is the art to SEO and getting your page to the top and keeping it their.

Yes updating your pages on a regular basis is a way of doing this but I wouldnt use a blog as the updating mechanism I would like Ruth mentioned change news pages news pages will be higher up googles pecking order than posts in a blog.

The best way to use blogs to help achieve higher in the search engine world is to comment on "dofollow" RELEVANT blogs and leave a link to your own website. Google would much prefer to see inbound links from RELATED sources than your own blog being updated.
The same goes with outbound links, Relevant and unbroken.
A tool I always use when building web sites is
Bad Neighborhood - Link Exchange Tool

This will check the outbound links from your site to see if you have any bad or broken links.
And whilst on the subject of links NEVER use link exchange sites, google does not really like them.

Hope this helps

Thanks all. Think I'm gonna steer away from blogs to be honest. I feel it is somewhat unprofessional..maybe a news page would be good. Thanks again xx:)

On my website I have a Special offers page and a Whats new page, I just keep up to date with courses/training and services I will be offering soon and also on any specials for the month.

I have to disagree with a lot of what I've seen in this thread. Business blogging is an excellent way to increase your search engine rankings and is an incredibly powerful tool if used correctly. The comment that "blogs were designed to be used by people who don't know about web design" is simply not true. Amazon, google, microsoft, about.com, every major news network site; they all use blogs. It is true that they're typically easy to use, but don't take that to mean that they're simple, basic or unprofessional; they're not.

Having a blog on your site (and I would call it a blog, not a news page--they're two different things, and having a blog on a professional site is perfectly acceptable) increases your organic search ranking and establishes your credibility. When visitors see that you know what you're talking about and are knowledgeable about your profession, they begin to view you as trustworthy. Once that happens, they're more likely to use your services when they need them.

It's a much bigger topic than can be laid out in one thread, but the short version is:

A blog is good for your site if you can commit to updating it regularly and if you can post content people want to read that is relevant to your business. What could that be? Certainly news snippets about your business and notice of specials is part of it, but also think of items like "Top 5 ways to extend your results after your massage", "Easy stretches for office fatigue and muscle pain", "Wellness Tips for Cold Weather" during the winter, etc.

Not all websites are right for a blog, to be sure, but don't discount it immediately. Google business blogging or should I start a business blog? and read some of the material you find. It should give you a good idea of whether to pursue it or not.

The comment that "blogs were designed to be used by people who don't know about web design" is simply not true.
Blogs sole purpose when first hitting the main stream in the mid 90'S were for people to give a personal account into their lifes, I think off the top of my head it was a uni student who wanted to create an online diary.

Amazon, google, microsoft, about.com, every major news network site; they all use blogs. It is true that they're typically easy to use, but don't take that to mean that they're simple, basic or unprofessional; they're not.

You are now talking about what a blog has EVOLVED into, so the reason blogs were first about is a small personal online diary where you will leave a LOG of your daily experiences, and you have no web building experience.
They are simple and basic this is the whole point......You will also be surprised to know that the companies you have mentioned do not use a blog for the intended purpose of this thread ie SEO(Search Engine Optimisation) they use them to add extra customer benefits.

Having a blog on your site (and I would call it a blog, not a news page--they're two different things, and having a blog on a professional site is perfectly acceptable) increases your organic search ranking and establishes your credibility.
Not at one point did I say they were not good for SEO what I did say to clarify is that there are many other easier methods to use to get to the top of yahoogle. I could do a million and one searches on google and I would put my money on 99% of the top results will not have a blog.

When visitors see that you know what you're talking about and are knowledgeable about your profession, they begin to view you as trustworthy. Once that happens, they're more likely to use your services when they need them.
This could be done as Ruth and I suggested earlier updating news pages, even adding more pages to give relevant advice.

A blog is good for your site if you can commit to updating it regularly and if you can post content people want to read that is relevant to your business. What could that be? Certainly news snippets about your business and notice of specials is part of it, but also think of items like "Top 5 ways to extend your results after your massage", "Easy stretches for office fatigue and muscle pain", "Wellness Tips for Cold Weather" during the winter, etc.
This type of information should be in your web site anyway to even give you a chance of a high ranking under broad searches.

Not all websites are right for a blog, to be sure, but don't discount it immediately. Google business blogging or should I start a business blog? and read some of the material you find. It should give you a good idea of whether to pursue it or not.

You have to all remember what industry you are all in, the competition out their isnt as fierce as insurance or holidays on the internet, unless you are selling beauty products you shouldnt have a problem getting to where you want to get ie page 1 of yahoogle.

If any of you are a large corporate company and you are struggling to reach the top then yes by al means try anything possible to get you higher. but I will repeat it again dont look down the blog route, not yet anyway, if you are struggling with your site give us your web address and I will give you plenty of pointers to help you.

Oh and pagerank is now starting to be a thing of the past.

I'm not too sure on this one because the professional business seminar said it is a good thing to do, blog; as it increases your likeability on the search engines and gets you seen more.

I think I will do a blog about my upcoming training that I plan to offer.

Thanks all

I'm not too sure on this one because the professional business seminar said it is a good thing to do, blog; as it increases your likeability on the search engines and gets you seen more.

I think I will do a blog about my upcoming training that I plan to offer.

Thanks all

Thia is totally your choice I was offering advice on my 15 years experience with web sites and SEO, I would just like to say if this is your decision then please dont think that just having a blog will get you to page one it wont....

Like I said in a previous post if you are using a blog for your training then why not go on relevant blogs and leave your web address to your site so the viewer can click through to your website and obtain all the info from their, google would prefer to see inbound links 20 times from different blogs, to your site, with all this relevant information about training than see one inbound link from your own blog.

OK thanks, I suppose it's not my intention to get it to the top of google but to get my site seen and noticed with more interesting things. I'm thinking of having it re-designed professionally soon anyway, so can ask the company doing it to help if necessary.

Cheers :)

Latest posts

Back