Using Images: Istock or other?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack1102

Reaction score
Hi

With our website almost revamped, we are looking for some good quality images.

Can anyone recommend any sites we can purchase from. Istock and Getty seem a little expensive (around £1 each when buying a package of 12 pictures)

Only really need 10 at most, so if anyone can recommend a good site, then please feel free to fire away. Oh - and what size images would you suggest if i was looking to design something like this .. http://www.stjamesbeauty.co.uk/

Last edited:
Hi

With our website almost revamped, we are looking for some good quality images.

Can anyone recommend any sites we can purchase from. Istock and Getty seem a little expensive (around £1 each when buying a package of 12 pictures)

Only really need 10 at most, so if anyone can recommend a good site, then please feel free to fire away.
Hi Jack!!

I use Dreamtime, for images, the prices vary, but you buy credits and then download the image size..

I find they have have a good range, I bought a load so I cant recall what the individual cost was, and I made the mistake the first time of buying the larger size, when the smaller ones where all I needed..

On their front page they do have a free download selection.. not a great range but sometimes you can pick up the odd image that fits the bill..

I use my images for parts of my adverts/mini ads/ blogs and get good feedback from clients, as they are clear and good quality. Hope that helps..

Good luck with the website..

Jack

Before you buy any have a look here

stock.xchng - the leading free stock photography site

They're free- the quality varies a lot, but if you think laterally and have patience to have a good search then there's an occasional gem.

Also- when you purchase your images, its always worth spending a couple of quid more and buying them at 300dpi and as large as possible- because they'll be able to be used in print and on the web, whereas if you only purchase 72dpi small ones, you'll only ever be able to use them on the web- and will regret not buying them large.

Even just one picture can form part of your brand such as the same picture (the woman's face image) which has been used on all the following-

Untitled 1
Untitled 2
Untitled 2
Untitled 2

Purchase it on a white background and just one photo can be used in allsorts of ways.

we're only looking at webpics at the moment, so 72dpi would be ample, athough if the prices arent that much different, then I may opt for the 300dpi

No worries- but what im saying is, if you then decide you'll like pic "A" on a leaflet (which you probably should to help create a brand identity) then you'd have to purchase it again at 300dpi. So, works out a lot more expensive and counter-productive to buy the same picture twice.

So, for the few quid difference in price, at least get two or three of the ten at 300dpi and have them on file should you need them, and experience tells me you will! :)

No worries- but what im saying is, if you then decide you'll like pic "A" on a leaflet (which you probably should to help create a brand identity) then you'd have to purchase it again at 300dpi. So, works out a lot more expensive and counter-productive to buy the same picture twice.

So, for the few quid difference in price, at least get two or three of the ten at 300dpi and have them on file should you need them, and experience tells me you will! :)

We currently have plenty of Business Cards, Leaflets etc with my branding/logo on and have all necessary logos for these. Its just the website that needs tarting up so to speak! :lick::lol: But yea, I totally get your point mate.

Do you print business cards, etc as well as designing them

Listen to Carl (Verve). This is his industry; he really knows his onions!

I use Istockphoto from time to time with no complaints.

Latest posts

Back