using more than one brand of l&p for practice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slhallford

Reaction score
I used OPI Absolute at school, and then took the new Absolute & FX classes last month. I have a certificate that says I'm qualified but I don't feel like I really have a good handle on the mix ratio which is 2 parts liquid to 1 part powder. This means that it's definitely a wetter mix than my CND.

I took my CND class last week and just really sailed after working with Mimi on my mix ratio.

I'm wondering if I'm better off just donating the OPI products to the beauty college as I don't think I'll be using it professionally since I really prefer the feel of the Retention+ and Perfect Color powders.

There is a skinflint lurking inside me that wants to hang onto the Absolute stuff to use as practice on tips and my nail trainer. I'm thinking this might be shooting myself in the foot, so to speak, because I'm so new and switching products and mix ratios might really throw me off altogether.

Any good geeky advice for me?

S

I would say, to maybe use the stuff you don't particularly like to practise your smiles etc on tips and general application. This means you get used to applying product smoothly without worrying too much about mix ratio as you are just getting experience to apply product and do your smiles.

If doing nails on a client, then use your creative stuff.

If you find that it gets a little confusing for you, because of the difference in product, then sell your other products to someone who is trained in it and concentrate on your creative products.

I'd try and get some money back if I were you or as said before keep it for practising!!

HTH Teri x:hug:

I personally don't see how practising with one product will help you with another, even if it is only smile lines etc. If they handle differently, have a different mix ratio and set up time I know that I would be all over the place.

I'd sell the rest and concentrate on what you want to go forward with.:)

I used OPI Absolute at school, and then took the new Absolute & FX classes last month. I have a certificate that says I'm qualified but I don't feel like I really have a good handle on the mix ratio which is 2 parts liquid to 1 part powder. This means that it's definitely a wetter mix than my CND.

I took my CND class last week and just really sailed after working with Mimi on my mix ratio.

I'm wondering if I'm better off just donating the OPI products to the beauty college as I don't think I'll be using it professionally since I really prefer the feel of the Retention+ and Perfect Color powders.

There is a skinflint lurking inside me that wants to hang onto the Absolute stuff to use as practice on tips and my nail trainer. I'm thinking this might be shooting myself in the foot, so to speak, because I'm so new and switching products and mix ratios might really throw me off altogether.

Any good geeky advice for me?

S

Well I am very biased :) but I would say 'go with your gut' - use what feels best to you, looks the best to you, gives you the best results and gives you the most confidence.

CND is number one in L+P in the States - there are good reasons for that! :idea:

i would stick with what you are most comfortable with - that way you are developing your skills using the same product you will be using on paying customers. You get the same results all the time, learn more about how to handle the product and get more confident with it then, if you can get what i mean. xx

Put your other product away for a while and practise using your creative l&p, like you said practise using this product, your ratio, your smiles using creative...you dont want to confuse yourself and get yourself in a tissy, by using another company's product whilst still trying to learn using your creative l&p

I'd be tempted to keep the other product for practice you don't know when it will come in handy 'cause practicing with an top end product can become quite expensive.

There's one advantage to using different products and that is eventually you'll find that you can get the right ratio with anything you use but this takes time and a lot of trial and error. I'd put the OPI to one side for a bit and just use your Creative.

I agree with the other Geeks stick to Creative you already half answered your own question by saying, it feels right.
Have you any friends you could sell the other products to, or even advertise it at college someone will buy it then you can go and buy some more creative goodies!!! x

Thanks for the advice!

Lest I make any rash decisions, I'll shelve my other products for the next little while and stop by the college the next time I'm in the area.

I'm certain that it was the training that I had with CND that gave me the edge on my ratio which really makes me feel a sense of loyalty and confidence in their products.

S

Hi Sarah,
I've just done my conversion course and am finding the Creative product much easier to use. I will however be keeping my other system L&P purely to practise my smiles with, as thay are blummin' awful!!

I'd keep your OPI ....... so when /if you feel more comfortable down the road in your application of L&P .........you can drag out the OPI again and try to work/play with it ....even if it's only to practice......although I do prefer my Creative over all the systems I do have many others Ez-Flow,INM,no lift ..... ect ..that I do like to take out and have a play with ....look at it this way .......you can never learn enough ........so why would you NOT want to know how other systems work? ...you can still use your Creative as your main L&P.....

Latest posts

Back