Using multiple brands?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadeejordan

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm curious, can you use for example ibd gel base coat, gelish colour and the ibd top coat together or has it all got to be the same brand when doing gel nails...
I've recently just qualified in gels etc so need some help!
Thank you :)

Hello :) I use mainly use Gellux but i do use different brands such IBD & GelFX with my base/ top coat of Gellux and it works the same and lasts the same. I think with most gels it doesn't matter just be sure to check the curing time on the bottle as some brands may take longer to cure xx

With a lot of brands this is a big no no! You will not be able to guarantee a proper cure, and that's not something you can tell just by looking, which in turn increases the risk of you and/or your clients developing allergies. You insurance will generally be void also as you're not following manufacturers instructions.

As a newly qualified tech I urge you to follow the guidelines, don't make things up as you go along and be professional!

Agree with Pure.

Don't mix systems as your insurance won't cover you.

If a client develops a nasty reaction and decides to sue, your insurance company has an instant 'get out clause' as you didn't follow manufacturers instructions.

Can you really afford to take that risk?

Thanks for all your advice I'll stick to the same brand.

You must stay within the manufacturer's instructions, otherwise you void your insurance. It depends upon the brand. CND Shellac is very clear that no part of their system should be used separately. Gelish, on the other hand, says that its base and top coat can be used with any brand's color coat. So mixing would be against CND's instructions, but within Gelish's and only using the base and top. You should be careful doing this and make sure you have something (in writing) from the manufacturer.

Latest posts

Back