UV Lamp problems - any ideas?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zingara

Reaction score
Wondered if anyone had any idea's or has experienced similar.

Have just replaced the bulbs in my lamp. Its a Bio Sculpture lamp, about 2 years old, been well looked after and used, I would say, slightly less than average. The new bulbs are the correct bulbs, however they don't seem to want to work as well as the old ones.

When I turn the lamp on it is fine. After about 2 or 3 minutes the bulbs start flickering. One goes out, comes back on then again....then the other one does it. Not dangerous, and its curing the gel, but not very professional looking.

I have tried a second set of brand new bulbs.....the same problem. Flickering. But when I put the old bulbs back in they don't flicker, they seem to work fine, but are just up to their 'time limit' for changing.

My supplier said they can't think of anything other than the possibility the lamp is on its way out, but I don't really think a good quality lamp should be after 2 years, and less than average use....and this doesn't explain why the old bulbs don't flicker in and out, but the new ones do.

Has anyone else had similar issues? How long have your lamps lasted?

I've had my Brisa lamp for about 3 years and it still works well. My Biosculpture lamp is just almost a year old so I don't expect to have any problems with that either.

It does sound strange. Perhaps make sure there isn't any dust on your new bulbs. Is there another Biosculpture technician near you so you could try your new bulbs in another lamp?

Sorry I can't offer any more suggestions hun xx:hug:

Am clutching at straws here Lyndsay, but could it be that your supplier has taken delivery of a faulty batch of UV bulbs?

I too wouldn't have thought that your lamp is faulty after just 2 years. After all, Bio lamps are a fairly expensive item to have to replace (as you probably already know), but they do come with integrated timers now and are available in pink and black, not just the standard white version which was the only option a few years ago. That said, it's not as if you're going to rush out and purchase a new one is it?

Personally speaking and in the first instance, I'd question the bulbs tbh.

I replaced mine a few months ago and they were fine.

Sounds like a connection problem with your new bulbs to me and because your old bulbs dont do this then it must be your bulbs. Shame I aint a little closer with my lamp so we could do a test on another lamp.

I did have this problem with another lamp I have and stopped using it because of it and never really got the bottom of that problem either.

My Bio lamp is just over a year old so I can't really say. I would be really disappointed if it didn't last but 2 years!

I would agree that it must be a faulty batch of bulbs, right? If your older ones don't flicker than I don't see it would be the lamp (and I surely hope not $$$!!!) I wonder if you could buy just one bulb somewhere else and see if it happens - if it's fine, that would prove it was the Bio batch.

Do you know anyone nearby who would let you pop them in their lamp and see if they flicker?

Thanks guys....in my heart I'm convinced it's not the lamp and that my supplier is just trying to fob me off with that excuse. It MUST be a batch problem with the bulbs....or poor quality bulbs that they've switched too. I checked and re-checked the spec and I definitely ordered the right ones.

Sadly....no, no one near here for me to try. Given that I'm the only tech for about 10 miles....the only gel tech for about 25 and the only Bio tech for...well I don't know of anyone in at least 40 miles!

Unless any of you want a free holiday....with your lamp! :lol:

it may not be the problem of bulbs

i don't know how do you call it in english but it may be a simmilar word

in my language we call it starter

its a small thing that starts the bulbs and every time the lamp starts it is consumed and gets older

take this lamp to any electrician

it' very simmilar to tanning beds i had this problem with such bed

it may not be the problem of bulbs

i don't know how do you call it in english but it may be a simmilar word

in my language we call it starter

its a small thing that starts the bulbs and every time the lamp starts it is consumed and gets older

take this lamp to any electrician

it' very simmilar to tanning beds i had this problem with such bed

I thought of this, but then that doesn't explain how the set of bulbs I've had for a while, are working no problem still. It's just they are getting ready to be replaced on their age. Its the 2 new sets of bulbs that are flickering (and not immediately...they start flickering after about 2 minutes). If I put the old ones back in they don't flicker.

oh ok that explains much

hope the next set of bulbs will work well if not try to check if everything is ok witk lamp

Latest posts

Back