UV lamps and skin cancer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil lisa

Reaction score
Just interested to know others thoughts on UV lamps and their possible connection with skin cancer on the hands and fingers. I haven't heard it mentioned recently but know there was a lot of press about it a while back. Every so often i find myself thinking about it, it does worry me a little. Has anyone heard anything else about this?

Doug Schoon made a comment about this on his Facebook page recently:

Doug Schoon | Facebook

Doug Schoon: says that reports that UV Nail lamps may cause skin cancer are silly and ridiculous. Those making these claims don't understand the issues or how these lamps work.

If your client gets regular services, it's like adding a few extra minutes of sun exposure each month to the hands. A few minutes isn't going to give anyone cancer. It's ridiculous to say that it does, yet a few dermatologist are making this erroneous claim. It's silly and all they are doing is needlessly frightening your clients with misinformation.

If you want to have clients wear sun block, that's ok, but you're not saving them from getting cancer and don't tell them that you are. You should be more worried that the people making these unfounded statements are scaring your clients and harming your business.

Also, be careful. If you get sun block on the nails or on your tools. Sun block can cause lifting problems.

The dose of UVA delievered to the hand is very low and not at all likely to be a problem. Over head office lighting is also a source of UVA, but the amount these lights generate is also very, very low. If the lights don't cause tanning or redness, they can't be a very strong source of UV.

I am currently working on a report along with a few other industry chemists. We'll issue our report in a few weeks and I'll be sure to update you all. No flame wars please. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Hopefully, the coming report will even convince the skeptics and calm everyone's concerns.

Ask Doug on Facebook!

Ive only just learnt to use a computer....
Facebook you say, think I need to speak nicely to my better half :

This 'story' was doing the rounds over a year ago, it was proved in the American courts that it was a load of old tosh, but give the news papers a quiet week and it's amazing what they will dig up. Inside Doug Schoons brain on Face book is a fabulous tool, I've got a copy of his book as well, I wish I'd had someone like his as my chemistry teacher, I'd have got the 'O' level instead of being kicked out:rolleyes:

This 'story' was doing the rounds over a year ago, it was proved in the American courts that it was a load of old tosh, but give the news papers a quiet week and it's amazing what they will dig up. Inside Doug Schoons brain on Face book is a fabulous tool, I've got a copy of his book as well, I wish I'd had someone like his as my chemistry teacher, I'd have got the 'O' level instead of being kicked out:rolleyes:

Is it his looks or his brain that attract you susie??:lol::lol:

Latest posts

Back