UV top coat over nail polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meganmurray

Reaction score
Hey! i had a client the other day for acrylic nails and she wanted me to paint the nails with normal nail polish then put uv top coat over the top she said she always gets this done in her home country. I didn't do it as i have never tried it before and not to sure if it works?
has anyone tried this before if so what product to you use??
i use all nsi product but if there was a product that this worked i would get it!!
hope you can all help :D
thanks!!!
Megan :)

I have heard of 'sandwiching' which is the base coat, then a normal polish - let dry - then top coat with uv gel.

It doesn't work great and it wont last x

I use a NSI Glaze N Go over the top of gel polish on my acrylics all the time. Every now and then it cracks.
Sorry, but I have never tried it over normal polish but I would think that the polish would need to be completely dry before hand or it might wrinkle.

HTH

yeah i thought the same! i thought if it did work it would be good for nail art and things!!

It definitely cracks. There's a scientific reason behind it which I was told before but cannot remember! There was word of one brand that can be used over normal varnish but it seems that you can't ever order it, or lucky to find it! I think it was even advertised in scratch... Can't remember but maybe something like purity or pure nails. Completely cannot remember!

I currently have black nail polish on and put glaze and go on top because I was in a super rush to get out...couple of days later it's cracked to high heaven I'd already been told this but it was just a temporary thing...seche vite do a uv activated top coat you can use over polish x

ohh gee so this isn't a good idea then!?!

I use nouveau nail pro line. I do my enhancements as usual, paint or do designs let dry completely and then top with my one step crystal clear thick gel. It secures all rhinestones and polish and art last up to 3 weeks and more. You can also use ibd gel builder on top. Some techs in my area do, I just use the one that is with my line. Glaze n go or any thin consistency gel top coat will almost always crack on regular polish.

ohh i might give that a try!!

Star nails do a uv top coat which I have used over polish successfully :) you just need to make sure the polish is 100% dry before you apply it or it will wrinkle and just come off xx

Latest posts

Back